Important for many Audi owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found on Audiworld:

quote:

ABS ALERT - Audi is now selling the electronic control module seperate from the ABS Pump

For those who haven't been following this problem, the Bosch 5.3 ABS control modules (the electronics that attach to the ABS hydraulic pump) have been failing at a frequent rate. If you haven't had a problem with this yet, consider yourself lucky as it's an expensive fix.

Prior to this point, Audi did not sell the electronics (control module) seperate from the hydraulic pump making the replacement **** expensive. On my 98.5, the new part lists for over $3,000.

Anyway, the good news is that the electronics are now available from Audi seperately from the pump. The price list for the respective ABS pump part numbers are below. Please share this knowledge around the Audi community so people know they have a different and cheaper option now.

GaryJ

Used for 8E0614111A and 8E0614111E $499.00
Used for 8E0614111B and 8E0614111F $499.00
Used for 8E0614111C and 8E0614111G $604.00
Used for 8E0614111M and 8E0614111N $604.00
Used for 8E0614111P and 8E0614111Q $604.00
Used for 8E0614111R and 8E0614111S $604.00
Used for 8E0614111AH and 8E0614111AG $604.00
Used for 3B0614111 and 8E0614111AQ $604.00

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
abs is for idiots.

That may be one of the least thought out comments I've ever seen. Do you have reasoning for it or do you consider everyone who has a vehicle equiped with ABS an idiot?

You've clearly never had to drive in snow or on ice. Haven driven both I much prefer ABS on snow packed roads or on ice-especially wet ice.

I thought abs were for bodybuilder.
wink.gif

ABS is of advantage for the average driver under most conditions. It is not the best option for a skilled driver under some conditions, especially those under which ABS lenghtens the stopping distance. Since most most people aren't ralley-trained and don't take to the test track every weekend, idiots like me are generally better off with ABS than without it.
tongue.gif

Anyway, nice going there, Steve. My post was meant to inform Audi owners of how to save money if the ABS breaks, and you take the opportunity to take a shot. Awesome!

My previous Audi, a 2002 model, had ESP Stability Control with an off button. I consider myself a skilled winter driver, but when I switched the ESP off, I could not believe how much traction the computer and ABS were generating. If it suxed, I would be the first to say so. BTW- thanks Mori.

Originally posted by moribundman:
[QB] I thought abs were for bodybuilder. I didn't want to be accused of shouting by using capitals. Most accidents are caused by tail gating and most people think abs will help stop in a shorter distance where mainly abs stops straighter,.It is a gee ga device that usually costs more money than anything else . Kinda like airbags save lifes but kill kids.

quote:

Most accidents are caused by tail gating

Is that so? Not that it would surprise me.

quote:

most people think abs will help stop in a shorter distance

I'm not psychic, so I don't know that. I only know that I was taught about ABS in driving school a very long time ago.

quote:

where mainly abs stops straighter

Maybe in airplanes. Maintaining the ability to steer while breaking is the main purpose of ABS in cars.

quote:

It is a gee ga device that usually costs more money than anything else.

If you say so.
wink.gif

quote:

Kinda like airbags save lifes but kill kids.

What's a small kid doing in the front seat?

PS: What about the driver who runs over kid because he slams on the brakes and plows straight into a kid? But I presume there are those among us who can pump the brakes on all four wheels individually.
wink.gif

I used to be not big on ABS also but I had an incident with my Toyota van where the ABS was a tremendous help in steering the van.It may have been a big accident without it.

I'm glad my GTI has ABS and ASR which is helpful in the snow.

Just 3 weeks ago I had a guy run me off the road. I dropped the right 2/3 of the car into grass and rock. The ABS was working hard and is probably the only thing that kept me from spinning a 180 as I was able to not lock the rear while I was counter steering. You'd be surprised how slippery someone's front yard is with a heavy dew.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back