Immediate results from PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Honda Accord with ~ 75,000 miles on it. Have had it for 3 months. I bought it from a girl who I think really tried to maintain it great. Problem is that she would pretty much only go to Wal-Mart for oil changes and they used Castrol Bulk 10W30. Car calls for 5W20.

I have run one OCI of 5,000 miles with Havoline, 4 quarts of 5W20 and 1 quart of 5W30. I have two cases of 5W30 I need to get rid of. I guess I will end up selling it or giving it away.

Anyway, with Advance's buy one get one deal, I bought a case of 5W20. Changed the oil last weekend and noticed an immediate quietening and the temp gauge was 2 clicks or so lower. Car ran a hair smoother and quieter.

The best part is an immediate 3+ MPG increase. Honest.

I had converted from Valvoline to Havoline and/or Mobil 1 for my vehicles. I used to run Pennzoil back in the very early 90's, but switched to Valvoline for 10+ years. I really like the way the Pennzoil Platinum is working so far.

hide.gif

I think you need much more data, your result is very suspect.

What is your fuel economy over the entire oil change, compared to the same time period last year is a better, but not perfect result.

Your next fillup may produce 3MPG less. It's impossible to gain that much mileage only by changing to another near viscosity - unless your vehicle sounded like a ticking time bomb prior.

Wear levels are very good with Platinum. But the older label Platinum has a constant clean dipstick issue with me.

Quote:

It's impossible to gain that much mileage only by changing to another near viscosity

Yea..as I mentioned in another post..accepted value out of millions/billions of miles is .5% increase = you'll be hard pressed to see it.

I dunno guys, I've seen 3MPG on my ride with changing to M1 0w-20. Yes, there are other variables at play, but seeing the fuel gauge move to E a bit slower on each tank is a nice touch.

cheers.gif

Quote:

What do you mean by "clean dipstick issue"?

With the previous Group V Platinum, dipstick stays clear 3-4 times longer than any other synthetic I ever used - plus dozens of other BITOGERs are expressing the same thing.

I don't know about the new Group III, but it still may have a decent percentage of Group V still in it. The old bottle label says "New".. the newer jugs say "New And Improved".

Last I read, one poster says it does have group V - another says it don't. I sold my Group V quarts back to Walmart - but I want to try the Group III stuff -- but only after I know more about the percentage of Group V in it.

It's a flag raiser for me because it seems to me that the oil rolls over "stuff" in your engine that has naturally darkened my dipsticks - rather than absorbing it. Thus - the cleaner dipstick -- thus -- the "possible" reason for the change to Group III.

It's my amateur, backyard mechanic opinion & I'm sticking to it....

PP is certainly good lube for the money but I'm doubting these claims. I recently went from the heavy 30 weight GC to PP 5w-20 in an Acura RSX and can tell no differnce in either gas mileage or driveablity. Stay with the PP, I will, but its not miracle juice just a well made, reasonably priced Group III synthetic.

Quote:

Scott,

You think I am trolling?

No, I think (and I was right) that your post was bound to get the replies that it did.
I posted a while back that my Scion saw some increases and lower temp's and got pretty much the same replies you are getting.

I don't know, but I suppose people don't want to believe those observations, and while I saw similar things on my car, I'm no longer pushing the issue(s) here.

Every car is different in terms of what weight/Brand oil will help gas mileage.

In an old 98' Honda Civic, I have used every type of 10w30 oil including 10w30 HDEO (for the last 7000 miles) and it still gets the exact same mileage.

I don't doubt some BITOG members see a gain/loss when they try a different oil.

Quote:

Every car is different in terms of what weight/Brand oil will help gas mileage.

True, and add in other variables like trip length, driving style, load-power profile, climate, etc, and the difference may be more that the usual stated laboratory determined percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back