Im using amsoil 0w30. Want something thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
currently using 0w30 amsoil.I would like something a little thicker but that would mean going into a 40 weight correct? since the first numbers have nothing to do with hot vis.

I have a mustang and an integra that see constant high rpm's and abuse. And with the 0w30 I seem to hear allot more ticking and noises then i did with 5w30? how is that possible if there bolth the same weight when hot. The other oil was amsoil also. Should I go with A 10W40? would that be more shear stable and up to the task of holding up to a beating then amsoils 0w30?
I know a 0w30 is the same weight as a 10w30 but for some reason they allways seem to be thinner

Amsoil 0w-30 has quite a tendency to thicken up to a 10w-40 like viscosity very rapidly, so its probably a 40wt by 3-5000 miles. If you're looking for something thicker, Rotella T 5w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 would both be good choices.

wouldnt a 5w30 be the same thickness as 0w30 though? thatsa what confuses me. suposibly any xxw30 would be very close to the 0w30 when hot so how would any other 30wt oil help

There is about a 3 cSt range that is classified as "30wt". Not to mention the noise issues are affected by more than just the viscosity of the oil.

quote:

posted by Michael
Amsoil 0w-30 has quite a tendency to thicken up to a 10w-40 like viscosity very rapidly, so its probably a 40wt by 3-5000 miles.

Michael,

Where is the UOA of the 0W-30 thickening in 3000 to 5000 miles?
I would like to see it.

ray18,

The Amsoil 0W-30 (GF-3 version) starts is just a tad thinner then the 5W-30 when hot, you might try the Castrol GC 0W-30, it is much thicker then the Amsoil 5W-30 or 0W-30 when hot.

Bill

I forgot about Amsoil Hdd 5W/30 .This is imo is Amsoils flagship oil. The Amsoil diesel marine is the next Amsoil but we are in the 30wt mode.
rolleyes.gif

Michael,

That UOA is bad, the engine had a By-pass filter to!?
and the 0W-30 thickened up to a 40 weight?

Besides what Terry had to say I wonder if something else is up with the engine along the lines of what wulimaster had to say?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back