I'm trying Market Basket brand batteries.

I buy name brand alkaline batteries, but they don't last long in anything, both AA and AAA.
So I switched to a so-called brand supermarket line because they couldn't possibly be worse and of course are cheaper.

Is it just me, or are batteries now built to a much lower set of performance standards?

We use a lot of batteries at home in my wife's flameless candles and other battery-powered tchotchkes. The Amazon brand batteries seem pretty good for the money.

A few of the name-brand batteries say they have a 10-year shelf life. I've had some of those leak after just a few years old and are still in the bubble package. I've found that getting warranty on these batteries can be a real PITA, including long wait times on the phone and emailing them photos of the leakage, the manufacturing date and the serial numbers. The refund was also not getting money back, just a coupon to use more of the same brand of battery.
I haven't tried the Amazon batteries, but I recently tried some Harbor Freight batteries and they seem to be okay for the money. They are somewhat new on the market, so I can't comment on any leakage problems, but they seem to hold up as well as any big-name brand.

I switched over to 100% rechargeable in everything. It took a while, but overall it's less of a hassle, and MAYBE I saved a few bucks over the years.

Frankly, I've had better luck with the no name batteries than the name brands.
I've had less leakage with the no name, and not only have found no drop in performance, I have noticed that sometimes they tend to last longer.
I tend to stock up when Menards has the AC Delco AA's and AAA's on sale for low prices, especially around the holidays.

I think it depends on the brand. I've had more Duracells alkaline leak in low power devices like computer keyboards and mice than Energizer and Rayovac; "tested" at work with user devices. I only use Energizer Lithium or Amazon basic alkaline at home though.

My current cheap batteries are Ace brand from Ace Hardware. I sometimes like going there even if the prices aren't exactly the cheapest. 16 for $9 if your Ace rewards member.

Some brands have a few grades using the same technology. CVS has a high end battery: CVS Max Alkaline. Rayovac has Fusion, Duracell has Optimum. Energizer has lithium, I don't know if they offer two grades of alkaline?

High end batteries are not cost effective in my opinion for most things.

I do use lithium batteries in my two Genie outside mounted garage door opener keypads.

I once had a wireless outdoor thermometer and Energizer lithium batteries lasted much, much longer than alkalines, even though alkalines would still be cheaper.

I found buying the higher end batteries like Lithium etc last longer by a lot. Certain use cases they make a lot of sense .

Cheaper stuff like Amazon Basics, store brands even Duracell/ engergizer all seem similar.

So I switched to a so-called brand supermarket line because they couldn't possibly be worse and of course are cheaper.

Is it just me, or are batteries now built to a much lower set of performance standards?
Pay for brand name or not. Kind of like oil, they all do the same job and I as others have found out. I tend to have less problems with leakage using the unbranded types. Many, many years ago I stopped buying brand name and use the lowest price alkaline that I can find on sale at any given time. I bet in most cases the cost is 25 to 35 cents a battery.

Sometimes I would wonder, did DURACELL push the limit of the amount of energy the battery can store that the chemical makeup is less stable and they leak with low power draw devices and even devices they sit in for a long time, like that forgotten toy or flashlight.

Last edited:
I swapped to Eneloop Pros a few years ago. I always have a fresh battery when I need one and I don't have to worry about paying for questionable quality disposables anymore.

I swapped to Eneloop Pros a few years ago. I always have a fresh battery when I need one and I don't have to worry about paying for questionable quality disposables anymore.

My preference is for the 2000 mAh AAs and 750 mAh AAAs. Not necessarily Eneloop as Panasonic doesn't even develop/manufacturer any more after the purchase of Sanyo forced them to sell to Fujitsu after there were antitrust concerns from several countries including the US and China. I'm OK with the ones from Ikea, as they're consistently sold at the lowest prices. But I'll give up some capacity for longevity and charge retention. I'm mostly using them in flashlights and remotes, where I'll make sure that I recharge them well before they run down.

As for alkalines, I don't really trust them but sometimes use them in remotes or garage door openers. The vast majority seem to be sourced from China, Indonesia, or Malaysia now and I'm not sure of the quality. But then again I'm not sure of the quality of Duracell alkalines no matter where they come from. I've had so many of them leak on me whether they were made in the US, China, or Belgium.

I find the name brands last longer. However they're also more expensive so it's probably a wash cost-wise. Not disposing of so many is good though.

I have tried the Amazon ones and I find the AA's are good but the AAA's not so much.

Using Dollar Tree brand.
High $$ brand names were leaking and ruining the equipment. Not the cheapies though.

Which ones? They have several suppliers and some are probably their own house brand. I've seen Eveready (their alkalines which are probably identical to Energizer), Panasonic, Sunbeam, and their own brand (will have the "Greenbriar" name as the distributor).

But high quality NiMH will almost never leak for a number of reasons, including that they weren't constructed to be disposable.

A few of the name-brand batteries say they have a 10-year shelf life. I've had some of those leak after just a few years old and are still in the bubble package. I've found that getting warranty on these batteries can be a real PITA, including long wait times on the phone and emailing them photos of the leakage, the manufacturing date and the serial numbers. The refund was also not getting money back, just a coupon to use more of the same brand of battery.
I haven't tried the Amazon batteries, but I recently tried some Harbor Freight batteries and they seem to be okay for the money. They are somewhat new on the market, so I can't comment on any leakage problems, but they seem to hold up as well as any big-name brand.
Big hassle for me with with duracell "warranty". Some places will not accept the coupon, too. Amazon or energizer for me now.

I am always amazed by the off brand batteries that come with things like remotes, digital volt meters, smoke detectors, etc that seem to last forever and never leak or corrode. Meanwhile duracell batteries leak in the package before you even use them.

I am always amazed by the off brand batteries that come with things like remotes, digital volt meters, smoke detectors, etc that seem to last forever and never leak or corrode. Meanwhile duracell batteries leak in the package before you even use them.
Exactly and when they go bad it seems all other batteries never last half as long.

Duracell Procell, made in USA. For professional, industrial, medical, and military use. Bulk packaging only. Otherwise rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop.

Back