I'm thinking of switching from Mobil 1 to SuperTech Full Synthetic... Need Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
I think the Super-Tech syn is so cheap, because they economized on the additive package.

lol.gif

I know. Typical low key English under-statement.

Low zddp and nothing visible to make up for it.
nono.gif

quote:

nono.gif

Sorta sounds like Motorcraft/Conoco 5w20, an oil that has posted some of the best UOAs ever seen on this forum.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

nono.gif

Sorta sounds like Motorcraft/Conoco 5w20, an oil that has posted some of the best UOAs ever seen on this forum.

I know voa's don't mean a lot nowadays, so what are you saying???

Do you think this is a superior oil, because it uses a chemistry we don't see?
tongue.gif

On the filter question, the AC Delco you're buying at AZ is most likely made by Champion, just as the Walmart filter is. Delco might specify some different specs, but the overall construction is likely to be the same. As others have mentioned, it should be a good filter.

BTW, in this area (Detroit Metro/SE Michigan), the AZ Delco filters are all Champion, whereas if you go to Murrays, you'll get one made by Delphi. If you think I'm kidding, go to AZ and pick up a Delco and an STP filter for the same car and look closely, then look at the bottom of the STP box for the manufacturer.

quote:

I know voa's don't mean a lot nowadays, so what are you saying???

Do you think this is a superior oil, because it uses a chemistry we don't see?
tongue.gif

I never said I thought this oil was superior to anything. What we need to see is more people use it and post UOAs in order to judge how good or bad it is--just like for any other oil we discuss on here. It's simply pig-headed to dismiss it just because it's Wal-Mart's house brand (especially since we know who makes it and have the full data sheets for it) or because it's a Group III.

We've got one UOA on this oil and it performed well. I don't think a VOA of it has been posted yet.

G Man is right, don't automatically assume that because the price is low, the oil will suck. Just look at how good the Supertech oil filters are, but yet are the lowest priced ones out there.

I'm running Tech 2000 (Canada's Walmart brand) synthetic 0w30 in my mom's car. It isn't as cheap up here ($21 for a 4.4L jug, compared to $28 for a 4L jug of M1) but it's worth a shot. I'll have a UOA in the fall, when she reaches close to one year on that batch of oil.

Rotella-T Synthetic is only $.50 more I think. For $12 I think I would use Rotella-T Synthetic first! Am I being an oil snob!! You bet ya!!!!

Can't answer that one. You'll need to go to the filter forum.

I think when you are trying to run 7,500 miles even with a great synthetic, you want a pretty efficient filter. I have no idea how the supertech would do at keeping insolubles down.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
G Man is right, don't automatically assume that because the price is low, the oil will suck. Just look at how good the Supertech oil filters are, but yet are the lowest priced ones out there.

I'm running Tech 2000 (Canada's Walmart brand) synthetic 0w30 in my mom's car. It isn't as cheap up here ($21 for a 4.4L jug, compared to $28 for a 4L jug of M1) but it's worth a shot. I'll have a UOA in the fall, when she reaches close to one year on that batch of oil.

I'm not trying to be an oil snob, nor was I knocking the product. I just don't see anything from the data sheets I see, that tell me someone should switch from Mobil 1 for 7.5K runs.

I actually like some Group III's also and we are a supplier to Wal-Mart, so no predjudice here.

I just don't see the additive pak????, and the price does not convince me that chemistry like in GC or Amsoil we don't see is present.

Why is it not rated ACEA A5,B5?

Feel free to try it and I didn't mean to offend.

No offence taken, I just think we need to see some UOAs before we decide if something is bad. At such a low price it's worth a shot for a lot of people who may not otherwise go with a synthetic oil.

"or because it's a Group III."

There is a post somewhere here from someone who called Omaha and talked to one of their chemists and was told it was Group IV. Is that right, was it an ignorant employee, or was it group IV last week because they got a good buy on base stocks and Group III this week? Dunno.

Use Super Tech oil & filter and you will be OK. Only difference that you will notice is in your wallet.
cheers.gif

I got about another 1400 miles togo on Amsoil and i will be trying out the Supertech 10w30 synthetic for 7500 miles.Around here we dont have the 5 quart jugs yet just the $2.99 quarts.
My car uses the pf52 filter and i have been useing the Supertech 3980 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back