I'm thinking of switching from Mobil 1 to SuperTech Full Synthetic... Need Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 V6 3.4L Camaro with 103,000 miles

I've always used Mobil 1 10-30 and an AC Delco PF52 filter for my oil changes every 7,500 miles

The car runs like a champ and I haven't had a problem at all

I went to WalMart tonight and saw these:

-

Only ~$12 for 5 qts. of FULL synthetic oil
shocked.gif

They even had the SuperTech filters for $1.29 or something

So I did a search in this forum and found out that the SuperTech full synthetic is a decent performing oil, and that SuperTech oil filters are also good oil filters
worshippy.gif

Now my question is... would I be asking for trouble if I switched to SuperTech oil/filter, instead of the M1/AC Delco combo I've always used?
confused.gif

I would still use the same oil change interval (7,500 miles)

I live in Los Angeles, CA by the way. We never experience extreme heat or cold like some parts of the country

I drive about 30% city/70% highway

If I could use the SuperTech products safely, then that'd be a really cheap synthetic oil change (less than $15 total)
cheers.gif

Any advice/opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance
grin.gif

myke

With ST brand products you really never have any idea what you are getting. Walmart can change product specs and/or suppliers anytime. Of course we now know that AC/Delco does the same. There are at least three different documented mfg. of AC/Delco oil filters: Champion, Delphi, and some Mexican company I forget the name of. SuperTech filters appear to be made by Champion, though there are some reports that ST filters are sometimes coming from a possibly Champion affiliated factory in Mexico.

If you want a bargain priced group III synthetic then maybe Rotella T 5W-40 is what you are looking for. Slightly more expensive than the WalMart house brand, but I suspect that Shell might have a little more QA than SuperTech. Can't prove it though.

Probably the best bargain in oils right now is something like the Chevron Delo 400 10W-30 heavy duty dino oil. It isn't often stocked at WalMart, but you should be able to find it in gallon jugs at some of the better auto parts stores for around $8/gallon. I would be more comfortable with it that with any SuperTech oil. Chevron makes some of the best price/performance motor oils going.

John H

[ May 04, 2004, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: jthorner ]

Since this is Group III oil, it's probably priced appropriately. There's was only one UOA that I could find : http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001083#000000

...and in this application the oil did 6,894 miles with fairly good results. I probably wouldn't go one mile further than 7500 without doing at least one UOA to see how it holds up in your application.

I guess it all boils down to how long you plan on keeping the car and how tight your budget is. If you want to keep it as long as possible, I'd stay with what your doing. If you plan on only keeping it a few more years and are on a tight budget, you'll probably be OK with the Supertech combo.

One other option would be to cut the interval in about half and use a good dino oil like Chevron, Havoline or Pennzoil.

My 2 cents.

I don't really want to use dino oil

I want to use a synthetic oil so I can have at least 7,500 miles OCI

So is the ST brand ok to use for my application?

myke

quote:

Originally posted by IBJanky:
I don't really want to use dino oil

I want to use a synthetic oil so I can have at least 7,500 miles OCI

So is the ST brand ok to use for my application?

myke

Though it's still a "dino" oil. It should be okay for $7500 miles.

By the way, I don't run my car hard at all.

I drive easy on her
wink.gif

So do I have the green light to use this stuff?
dunno.gif

myke

I don't think anyone here wants to commit to ST syn for a drain of 7500 miles. Probably because a lot of us have not used it, and those who have, haven't pushed it or any group III syn past 5-7K miles. I would be hesitant about just blindly throwing it into your car and running the same OCI. Either use it and test at 4-5000 miles, or stick to your M1.

Well, the refreshing part of this to me is that at least the Group III dinosyn, while still being called "full synthetic," as is allowed, is being priced to more accurately reflects what it is -- extra-refined dino. Unlike some of the refiners who are lining their pockets selling Group-III for the same price as Group-IV/V oils, this oil's price more fairly reflects what it is. So you can choose between paying a little less for G-III or paying full freight and getting full, honestly synthetic synthetic.

If "it ain't broke, don't fix it".

quote:

I've always used Mobil 1 10-30 and an AC Delco PF52 filter for my oil changes every 7,500 miles

I went to WalMart tonight and saw these:

-

Only ~$12 for 5 qts. of FULL synthetic oil
shocked.gif

They even had the SuperTech filters for $1.29 or something

So I did a search in this forum and found out that the SuperTech full synthetic is a decent performing oil, and that SuperTech oil filters are also good oil filters
worshippy.gif

Now my question is... would I be asking for trouble if I switched to SuperTech oil/filter, instead of the M1/AC Delco combo I've always used?
confused.gif

I would still use the same oil change interval (7,500 miles)

I live in Los Angeles, CA by the way. We never experience extreme heat or cold like some parts of the country

I drive about 30% city/70% highway

If I could use the SuperTech products safely, then that'd be a really cheap synthetic oil change (less than $15 total)
cheers.gif

Any advice/opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance
grin.gif

myke

Group III?

Then that means that it isn't a "true" synthetic like Mobil 1, and it's just refnied dino oil, right?

If that's the case, then I'd rather stick with the Mobil 1

How about using Mobil 1 oil, and picking up a SuperTech filter? How do those filters compare to AC Delco PF52? (i know it's a filter question, but I didn't want to make a new thread) Do you guys think that the SuperTech filter would be ok to run for 7,500 miles?

What is the SuperTech equivalent to the AC Delco PF52 anyway?

Thanks for all the help
smile.gif

myke

quote:

How about using Mobil 1 oil, and picking up a SuperTech filter?

I don't run it for 7500 miles because it would take me over a year to put that much on it. But I do use the Mobil 1 and ST filter combo and would recommend it. I wouldn't heistate to run it 7500.

quote:

Why mess with success?

OK, I'll stick with the Mobil 1
wink.gif

Would it be safe to use the SuperTech filter for 7,500 miles?

It'd be really convenient if I can get the Mobil 1 oil AND the filter at Wal-Mart
grin.gif

Do they sell AC Delco filters at Wal-Mart? I don't think I saw any
dunno.gif

myke

I'd stay with the AC Delco and Mobil 1.

I think the Super-Tech syn is so cheap, because they economized on the additive package.

I don't see it as being any bargain over good GPII/GPII+ dino's with good additive paks.

I'd have just as much faith in Pennzoil, Castrol Syntec Blend or Motorcraft for less money even.

You've made up your mind, so that's fine. I personally think the group III/Group IV purists take it a bit far. I wouldn't push any group III past 5 or 6 K without a UOA, but with a bit of checking it should be fine. I've dropped a quart of ST group III in with my dino and had no problems with it. UOA's on things besides Mobil 1 and Amsoil would be refreshing, so I'm always kind of interested in encouraging people to go off the beaten path a bit.

As for Delco filters, most Wal-Marts used to carry some--but they may have phased them out. At one time non-GM Delcos were made by Champion Labs and pretty much identical to SuperTechs only painted blue. There's been some grumbling about Champion filters using the clicker type of valve and some ST's coming from inferior Mexican plants but for the most part ST's like all Champion Labs filters are pretty good for the bucks.

Most Wally's only have Super-Tech, Motorcraft, and Fram. I expect the Super-Tech and MC to eventually go away. They are becoming all FRAM, mostly.

AC Delco are stock at Autozone and Advance for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Most Wally's only have Super-Tech, Motorcraft, and Fram. I expect the Super-Tech and MC to eventually go away. They are becoming all FRAM, mostly.

AC Delco are stock at Autozone and Advance for sure.

Yeah, they are always in stock at the local AutoZone, but I was wondering if the SuperTech filter would be a good substitute for the AC Delco PF52 that I usually use

That way, I'd only have to make one trip to Wal-Mart to get my oil and filter
grin.gif

myke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back