I'm thinking of doing a double, possibly a triple minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm a History major and business minor. After this year I'll have 2 business classes left and 2 history classes left to fufill my requirements. Next year is my senior year.

So I looked at other options...
Asian studies: I will have 3 classes after this year and I'll need 3 more. 1 religion class and 2 other ones. I would probably use this to my advantage and take Chinese language (I want to do anyway, this only forces me to).

Religion: I will need 3 more classes to fufill this. If I fufill Asian studies I will only need 2 more as one of the required Asian study classes is a religion class.

I have 9 classes available. Subtract the 6 (the 4 I need, my trip to china that I'm taking again, so I doubt it will count twice, but I'll check). So I only have room for 3. In order to have a triple minor I would have to take 2 extra classes by either overloading (not what I want to do) or summer school somewhere.

I guess it looks like I'll do Asian studies, and if I want to bust my *** over the summer, add religion as well. Or I can just drop my business minor after this year and do both Asian studies and religion.

Any comments/suggestions?

Well..and this is just me. What do you want to do for a living?? The applications of History, Religion, and Asian have very little appeal for the broader market. And with businesses cutting back ..having skills in a very small market is not a good thing.
smile.gif
I can't begin to tell you how many kids I've seen over the last 20 years who used their degrees to flip burgers.
frown.gif
NOt saying you fit this mold but an awful lot of kids do
frown.gif

gotta go with Al here. If you are going to college to land a good job, you have to have an idea what a good job is and what the qualifications may be for that job. In some cases, History and some other liberal arts are good as a stepping stone to a law degree. In themselves, you'll need a lot of connections and patience to get a teaching job. teachers are on my very short heroes list, but the pay scale is embarassing.

Going to college and getting a degree isn't a sure bet in the real job market.

Some Asian studies as a minor and if practical enough may help you in international trade. But you'll need something concrete to go along with it, like accounting or engineering or with a lot of luck a business degree.

Get a MARKETABLE degree, save the fun stuff for the hobby.

Besides the degree is just going to open doors. After the doors are open it's totally up to you.

I plan on going into the bar/food managment. What I learn in my business classes and have already learned working in bars for 5 years has already given me a head start. Everything else is just for ****s and giggles.

I'm also tenatively planning on going to China some time in the future, thus, the Asian studies minor, which would require me to take some Mandarin, would be a good idea.

Would necissarily having these extra things make me unattractive?

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:

I'm also tenatively planning on going to China some time in the future, thus, the Asian studies minor, which would require me to take some Mandarin, would be a good idea.

Would necissarily having these extra things make me unattractive?

Knowing Chinese could work out to be a big advantage in business in the right places. Bad news is you need about 3 semesters of Mandarin to start to get proficient. One semester just barely gets you started.

Solid business and Asian studies minor with some ability to read, write and speak Mandarin could open a lot more doors than just a History major with a business minor.
If you decide to study Chinese at a University level, be ready for a -lot- of work. Set aside a big block of study time if you want to be any good at it. The only simmularity between Mandarin and English is that they both involve moving your lips, and that's done differently.
shocked.gif

It'a potentially the most useful foreign language for a North American as we move through the 21st century and has the potential of opening a lot of opportunities for you.

[ December 02, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

I know how long it will take. I have heard that it takes 8 year to sucessfully learn Chinese to fluency (**** , when I when there before I couldn't even order a sprite correctly). I don't know if I'm going to actually go that far, but two semesters is a good base. And if I end up going to China again, this time for a significant period of time (probably to teach English) that will help my language aquisition immensely.

Other than this, I don't see myself using this knowledge. This is just something I want to do because it feels like it will bring me into some interesting situations.

Other than that, it's either take 3 more blow off classes, take some more business classes (which I don't really want to), take more history classes (which I kinda want to) or take on another minor, which will force me to learn Mandarin, which I want to do anyway. So the choice was kinda obvious.

Thanks for the info, guys. Since nothing really bad came up it doesn't seem like this is bad at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Pyrek:
or take on another minor, which will force me to learn Mandarin, which I want to do anyway. So the choice was kinda obvious.

Thomas, learning some Mandarin at a university leval will give your brain a different form of exercise than it would normally get. You can't lose by going that route.

I only took one semester because the foreign assigment I was working on getting evaporated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back