I'M SO CONFUSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
With the high amount of driving you do, you'd be better off looking into a synthetic oil like Amsoil, and going with 10 or 15,000 mile oil change intervals. Do a used oil analysis at a lower interval first, just to be sure. 10w30 would work just fine, their oil is a thicker 30wt, so it's almost 10w40 anyways.

Dano:

I'm not the expert some of the other posters here are, but it would seem to me that

1) Auto RX might help with your consumption issues, and wouldn't be a bad idea anyway at that mileage,

2) With the miles you're accumulating, synthetic might be the way to go unless you enjoy changing oil every few weeks, and

3) In that old Ford straight six and Houston's climate, a 15W-40 "fleet" oil could work nicely for you if you want to stay with conventional oil. Chevron Delo 400 seems to be well thought of here, although VOAs of Valvoline Premium Blue and Pennzoil Long Life have looked very promising.

quote:

10w30 would work just fine, their oil is a thicker 30wt, so it's almost 10w40 anyways.

I think I would go with Amsoil's 0w-30 or S3000 5w-30. The 10w-30 in my car only lasts about 8k miles. This doesn't mean it wont go further in your truck, but the S2000/3000 lines have stronger additive packages.

So I'm thinking I should run two treatments of auto-rx though then switch to amsoil oil after. If I do what will be the best way to get amsoil? I'm still unclear on which kind to get.

If you change your oil at regular intervals, your choice of viscosity and type of oil is excellent and in my opinion can't be imporved........be wary to go to synthetics......with your engine and condition I would bet you get leaks and / or oil consumption as a result
quote:

Originally posted by DANO:
I use Castrol GTX 10w40 in my truck, and I think there is a better oil for my driving situation. I have a 96 ford inline 6. I drive 200+ miles to work a day, all highway (65mph). I have 125K on my truck and want it to go another 100k+. I considered to go to synthetic, but now I'm stumped. I use to use 10w30 but was burning oil so I switched to 40, and now it dosen't. It dosen't leak to my knowlege either. please help!

I just happened to be talking to my brother yesterday about his old Ford with the 300 inline 6. He used Castrol exclusively and probably averaged 4ooo mile changes. He drove about 70 miles a day on his commute, all highway.

He told me when he removed the valve cover at about 200M mile he was astounded at the thick sludge build-up.

I realize this is just one un-scientific data point. But a point nonetheless.

Tim

I use Castrol GTX 10w40 in my truck, and I think there is a better oil for my driving situation. I have a 96 ford inline 6. I drive 200+ miles to work a day, all highway (65mph). I have 125K on my truck and want it to go another 100k+. I considered to go to synthetic, but now I'm stumped. I use to use 10w30 but was burning oil so I switched to 40, and now it dosen't. It dosen't leak to my knowlege either. please help!

I agree with Mike242GT, AutoRX might help and any 15W-40 SL/CI-4 motor oil would be the way to go. This will help lower your oil consumption even further and the HD motor oils have a very robust additive package and should last longer than most other "dino" oils. The HD motor oils are only a few cents more per quart than most other conventional motor oils and much cheaper than any synthetic oil.

[ July 21, 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back