I'm seeing more of these "alkaline water" places .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Like anything else there maybe something to do with minerals in the body chain reaction. Distilled water which is acidic.

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

Is this the same guy?

QUACK

If you're selling or receiving any sort of monetary compensation, you have no credibility. The only exception is Pablo (seriously, not sarcastically
11.gif
)

Pablo ... what does Pablo have to with it??

I don't buy Mercola's products....PS go ahead and drink whatever water you want it's America.

Best water was spring water but don't want to say where it might upset some folks....Be well.

Remember the little water filters that one would mount below their sink in the kitchen? The ones that would often leak and cause a whopping big insurance claim.

So, the pitch is that water with a little baking soda is good for you?

I had done only a little research. I don't drink it for any miraculous results. It helps keep my heartburn under control without a bunch of tums. I drink a lot of water and found that it had a tendency to aggravate the heartburn. A little baking soda added helped. Nothing fantastic about it. Most bottled R/O waters do add things like that for palatability.

The reason behind adding minerals is so the water taste like something. Straight RO water has no taste and does not quench your thirst.

^I do believe that. I started drinking R/O water all the time while living in Corpus Christi. The tap water there is awful. Texas has a lot of warm, murky lakes and most municipalities add a lot of chlorine. Plus, with all the low lake levels the dissolved solids has increased anywhere from 50-100% over the past five years (I have been measuring that as well). When I started adding the minerals to my R/O water it improved it for me. Baking soda adds bicarbonate and the pink sea salt adds some trace minerals. If you look at Aquafina, Dasani, or store brand waters the ingredients will include "minerals added for taste." Some even state what they ad, but they are usually various mineral salts that may include sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, magnesium sulfate, etc.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^I do believe that. I started drinking R/O water all the time while living in Corpus Christi. The tap water there is awful. Texas has a lot of warm, murky lakes and most municipalities add a lot of chlorine. Plus, with all the low lake levels the dissolved solids has increased anywhere from 50-100% over the past five years (I have been measuring that as well). When I started adding the minerals to my R/O water it improved it for me. Baking soda adds bicarbonate and the pink sea salt adds some trace minerals. If you look at Aquafina, Dasani, or store brand waters the ingredients will include "minerals added for taste." Some even state what they ad, but they are usually various mineral salts that may include sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, magnesium sulfate, etc.

At the water bottler I worked at the RO water usually started out around 5 ppm dissolved solids. They would add minerals to bring this up to around 15 ppm.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

Ive witnessed many stories first hand of what it has done for people. A lady that bought a machine thru me had symptom reversal within 30 minutes....that was WILD.
What were her symptoms???

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

At the water bottler I worked at the RO water usually started out around 5 ppm dissolved solids. They would add minerals to bring this up to around 15 ppm.

My tap water at home is 180 ppm. The R/O product water is 7 ppm. Corpus Christi tap water is close to 600 ppm. You can see "floaties" in it. It clogs aerators in less than a year.

I drink well water right out of the ground. It's around 450 ppm with dissolved limestone. Taste great not filling. I take a gallon with me when traveling. A bit of iron too.

Whatever is in the water in Corpus DOES NOT taste good. Good tasting municipal tap water is quite a rarity in this state, in fact.

My dad lives in Colorado and his well water is great right out of the ground AND comes out at refrigerated temperatures.

Believe it or not, simply adding 1/2 TSP baking soda and 1/4 TSP sea salt to my 1.5 gallon jug brings the R/O water from 7 ppm to over 300 ppm. So, I have nothing against dissolved solids. They just have to be the right ones. LOL

Originally Posted By: daves66nova

Ive witnessed many stories first hand of what it has done for people. A lady that bought a machine thru me had symptom reversal within 30 minutes....that was WILD.

She was thirsty.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

She was thirsty.

Ed

Actually, that's pretty funny.

Many of our modern maladies can be helped if treated as chronic dehydration.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

She was thirsty.

Ed
HAHAHAH, good one.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Many of our modern maladies can be helped if treated as chronic dehydration.

Shannow, have you, perchance, read "The Water Cure" by Dr. Batmanghelidj?

Yeah, I know. Interesting name. He's Iranian. I used to work for an MLM nutritional products company and one of the distributors touted his writings about how "chronic dehydration" was the root cause of all ills.

I have heard of it. It has to be pretty rare in the U.S. The problem here is that we drink too much of just about everything except water. Dr. "Batman's" recommendation, which may have been penned before it became widespread, is to drink 1/2 ounce of water for every pound of your body weight daily. I believe the old rule of thumb was eight 8 oz glasses.

I am gratified that I broke my kids of their soda habits and now they only drink it at restaurants as a treat.

No, actually water poisoning is probably more prevalent in the US than in undevoped countries.

Having access to so much clean water that you can drink yourself into nervous system failure is a decidedly first-world problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back