I'm over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t been here long, but I have a few observations:
• Where’s Bob?
• It seems most of what is posted here is a matter of opinion and not science.
• Almost any name brand oil will do fine.
• Synthetics are best for extended OCI’s.

I share this community’s curiosity with how best to protect my vehicle’s engine, but I’m no longer obsessed by it.

Fare well.

Later... For the record

quote:

It seems most of what is posted here is a matter of opinion and not science

True, but lots of good science mixed in.
quote:

Almost any name brand oil will do fine.

True (maybe not coastal), for short OCI
quote:

Synthetics are best for extended OCI’s

Word.

Stop back once and a while. Seriously. One of the most informational and well behaved places on the Net.

The reasons why I like this site go far beyond my love for automobiles (and the maintenance of them).

I like this site primarily for the fact that there is an ENORMOUS collective knowledge of just about ANY topic here.

Ask ANY question you can think of (in the appropriate forum) and I can almost guarantee you that someone will be A) an expert on the topic, B) a veteran practitioner on the topic, C) a knowledgeable hobbyist on the topic, or D) a person with a very educated or interesting opinion on the topic.

People on this site have helped me fix household items, a variety of automotive items, and even given some personal advice on a variety of life issues. I appreciate everyone's opinions and have saved a lot of time and money because of them.

Sorry to see you leave, but I guess we'll be okay without you nonetheless. Good luck and good bye.
smile.gif

Here, here to what AstroVic said!

I don't get a chance to check in here very often anymore, but this place has provided some of the most complete answers to many of my most troubling, non-oil, automotive questions. As strange as it sounds, If Bitog only means oil to you, than you don't know Bitog.

DCRamsey,

Give the site a chance. Yes, there are alot of opinions here but, there are alot of folks here who really know their stuff. They have the education and experience to back it up. I also have been helped here by many when it comes to common everyday problems around the household and I thank them for it.

I have to admit I have the same curiosity about "Bob." I did a seach one time and found posts from years gone by, but it's not like he's active. I could be very wrong and would be the first to admit it, (just don't tell my wife). But just were is Bob?

Bio-T purchased the board from Bob as he fell ill some time ago. Bob's recovering slowly and is spotted here every so often. Our prayers are always with him.

Philosophically, the difference between science and opinion is a matter of opinion. And no, that is not a contradiction, just a complication. Take it however you like.

Science is observation based. The only valid conclusions are based on data. In science, an oppinion is offered to the question, "what do you think".

Faith is based on intangibles. The accurracy of a position of faith cannot be tested objectively. In faith, an oppinion is offered to the question, "what do you believe".

I have grown to a position very similar to DCRamsey. My position is clearly in the minority here and in the world in general. As a society, we do not differentiate what we think from what we believe. Even worse, we consider belief and conclusion as the same thing. And even further, we often cannot or will not differentiate what we think or believe from what we know.

However, I envy AstroVic. I do wish that could figure out a way to tolerate the concept that all oppinions are equal - from faith or from data. I haven't left yet, but I am viewing less topics every day.

quote:

Originally posted by GreeCguy:
I have to admit I have the same curiosity about "Bob." I did a seach one time and found posts from years gone by, but it's not like he's active. I could be very wrong and would be the first to admit it, (just don't tell my wife). But just were is Bob?

Bob suffered some serious health problems, and gave up administering the site. He posts now only occasionally.
I believe he is still a Schaeffer's dealer in Florida, for those down that way.

Well, you resolved your obsession over how best to protect your engine, correct? As did I, therefore this board has been a valuable resource for me. Those sleepless nights thinking about which oil, which filter, how often, synthetic or dino, etc, etc.. I almost went insane. Now I realize it matters very little which oil or filter, as long as you use a reasonable OCI. Thanks BITOG for helping me narrowly avoid another visit to the psyche ward to treat an OCD overload
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
Science is observation based. The only valid conclusions are based on data. In science, an oppinion is offered to the question, "what do you think".

Faith is based on intangibles. The accurracy of a position of faith cannot be tested objectively. In faith, an oppinion is offered to the question, "what do you believe".

I have grown to a position very similar to DCRamsey. My position is clearly in the minority here and in the world in general. As a society, we do not differentiate what we think from what we believe. Even worse, we consider belief and conclusion as the same thing. And even further, we often cannot or will not differentiate what we think or believe from what we know.

However, I envy AstroVic. I do wish that could figure out a way to tolerate the concept that all oppinions are equal - from faith or from data. I haven't left yet, but I am viewing less topics every day.

Well, GMorg, there are plenty here that share your yen for "unvarnished truth". Many don't know how to get it ..and may not recognize it if it bit them on the behind. There are producers and consumers here. Did you think that you would only be on the receiving end of things?? There are surely a few here that are more on the production end of it then they are on the consumption end.
dunno.gif

Now as the board matures ..it's surely going to hold less and less "new turf" to get excited about. If that's your feeling ..then it's well founded. So, we wait for something new and rely on our own version of "myth busters" (or myth supporters) to keep us entertained in the meantime.

As far as the science goes, there is faith interwoven in science as well.

Consider that all observation-based events are undeniably affected by the observer...with all the observer's biases coloring the observer's senses and thoughts. That's one reason why "scientifically proven truths" sometimes change. Biases are discovered that weren't even known before. It reminds me of the perpetually-falling elevator thought experiment...where in this hypothetical elevator which is falling just off-center to the earth, everything not tied down in the elevator gradually drifts toward one wall, then sticks there. If you are born into this elevator and know not of any other systems, the scientifically proven "truth" that all things drift a certain direction in space until they hit a wall seems obvious....until, one day, it is discovered there is more to the world than your elevator. The point is, biases exist, even in "science".

BITOG is a dream for the car enthusiast. Especially if that enthusiast didn't know how to change his/her own oil. After reading this site I successfully changed my oil life changed
grin.gif
. If you are serious about taking care of your car - this is the site for you.

I don't think I could begin to imagine how many people have benefited from this site.
tongue.gif

This has got to be the friendliest web forum ever. I come here a few times (20+ times) a day to see what all the latest oil talk is. I would come here for advice before asking a mechanic. Thanks for a great web experience and all the wonderful insight into the world of transportation.
Chad

I too am disappointed by the preponderance of opinions over facts here. Still, I have learned a lot, and I think some of my posts have helped some people.

And I appreciate the moderators doing just that, toning things down when people get too worked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back