I'm open to suggestions for next oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hanging out here for a couple months and getting educated. My first oil change since finding this site is about a month away and I have decided to go with the consensus opinion of this boiard on what to use next. First, I'll give a history. My vehicle is a 97 Mazda Protege 1.5 liter with 104,000 miles. FOr the first 80000 miles i adhered to 3000-3500k intervals using mostly Exxon Superflo 10w30 and Valvoline 10w30. I ran Mobil1 tri-synthetic 10w30 for two changes at 5000-5500 intervals, and for the last 2 changes I have used supertech full synthetic 10w30. I've always used Mazda OEM filters made by Tennex or Toyo Roki as they exhibit superior quality compared to aftermarket filters. The only given is I will continue with these filters as I just bought a dozen of them. OK guys, what do you recommend for my next change??? Auto RX? synthetic, dino, group I, II, III , PAO.... I am open to all suggestions..... I will tally up the votes and go with the prevailing opinion.

What are your thoughts on extended drains? If your looking to extend the drain intervals, I'd go with M1,Amsoil and Schaeffer's. If your still looking at 3k mile drains, just stick with a good dino oil like you have been. If you do decide to go to a synthetic, I'd run 2 to 3 treatments of AutoRx before making the switch.
smile.gif

Originally posted by buster:
[QB] What are your thoughts on extended drains?

Buster,

The longer the drain interval, the better. I am not a recreational oil changer, and do not like the hassle of bottling used oil up, getting works clothes greased up etc....so a long drain interval is essential.

In that case, try using AutoRx. I'd use 3 treatments on you engine. Once engine is clean, I'd go with Amsoil or Mobil 1. You could go a full year without changing it. Definitely have it analyzed at 8k miles just to see where your at. If the oil looks good, you will have an idea of how far you can stretch it.

I haven't made up my mind about the auto-rx yet but could not hurt and makes sense. I would go with the mobil-1 because it is easier to find and should be able to go 7500 miles between changes. Also has a range of viscosities and at your milage I would use the 0w-40.

[ April 24, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

Since you're paying the bill, my vote is for Redline 10W30. Ester basestock with lots of Moly.

quote:

Originally posted by Joe1:
I've been hanging out here for a couple months and getting educated. My first oil change since finding this site is about a month away and I have decided to go with the consensus opinion of this boiard on what to use next. First, I'll give a history. My vehicle is a 97 Mazda Protege 1.5 liter with 104,000 miles. FOr the first 80000 miles i adhered to 3000-3500k intervals using mostly Exxon Superflo 10w30 and Valvoline 10w30. I ran Mobil1 tri-synthetic 10w30 for two changes at 5000-5500 intervals, and for the last 2 changes I have used supertech full synthetic 10w30. I've always used Mazda OEM filters made by Tennex or Toyo Roki as they exhibit superior quality compared to aftermarket filters. The only given is I will continue with these filters as I just bought a dozen of them. OK guys, what do you recommend for my next change??? Auto RX? synthetic, dino, group I, II, III , PAO.... I am open to all suggestions..... I will tally up the votes and go with the prevailing opinion.

Originally posted by davefr:
[QB] Since you're paying the bill, my vote is for Redline 10W30. Ester basestock with lots of Moly.

Thanks but no thanks. An esoteric oil for an economy car with > 100k miles is not a wise choice from a financial perspective.

quote:

Thanks but no thanks. An esoteric oil for an economy car with > 100k miles is not a wise choice from a financial perspective.

Then what ever's on sale for $.69/qt and changes every 3k is the obvious answer. If you don't want to use a top tier oil then the logical step is to use an inexpensive dino and change it a lot. Using a cheap syn is waste of money by comparison.

Personnally I think you should use the best performing oil you can get whether it's an econobox or not. You can buy Redline delivered to your door for $7.13/qt. Amsoil is even cheaper. I don't know what Supertech costs but I guess it's even cheaper than M1.

Do you have a link to the Redline for $7.13 including shipping?

quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:

quote:

Then what ever's on sale for $.69/qt and changes every 3k is the obvious answer. If you don't want to use a top tier oil then the logical step is to use an inexpensive dino and change it a lot. Using a cheap syn is waste of money by comparison.

Personnally I think you should use the best performing oil you can get whether it's an econobox or not. You can buy Redline delivered to your door for $7.13/qt. Amsoil is even cheaper. I don't know what Supertech costs but I guess it's even cheaper than M1.

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
Do you have a link to the Redline for $7.13 including shipping?

Why not use our new Redline site supporter instead? From what I understand their prices come in at just over $6 per quart.

Well, apparently you're not open to all suggestions, then, as you have stated that there is a financial angle to the issue.

If you're accustomed to regular periodic oil changes, as you have said, then keep doing that. Use a dino oil that is available to you in the weight you like and keep changing as you have. If you don't have a problem now with the vehicle, then don't fix it.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Well, apparently you're not open to all suggestions, then, as you have stated that there is a financial angle to the issue.

If you're accustomed to regular periodic oil changes, as you have said, then keep doing that. Use a dino oil that is available to you in the weight you like and keep changing as you have. If you don't have a problem now with the vehicle, then don't fix it.

Yes, I am open to all suggestions. However, common sense is implied. I've made my decision, and thanks to all who have responded.

sounds like a middle of the road approach may be best for you. Why not use Mobil1 and double your oil change interval. The savings in oil filters will be decent, plus your changing less oil in a year. That's got to be the best bang for the buck IMO.

The addition of Auto RX sounds good, but it might not be for everyone, thus one or two oil flushes - using any good over the shelf flush product - might be good enough. I'd do a flush and run Mobil1 in any weight of your choice for at least 7000-9000 miles.

Although I clearly support the idea of using an oil such as Redline, Amsoil and Schaeffers, I think the Mobil1 route with longer than drains than you are used to would work best in this case. good luck and don't forget to get us some UOA data.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back