I'm not happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil for the first time in our '05 Corolla LE and found I can't use a Fumoto quick draon plug.
mad.gif

Actually I can use it but it sticks out at the pan bottom and if the wife or I should run over something there could be a problem.
I'm disapointed as I've used the Fumoto plug on all my previous and present vehicles.
Used the same Toyota plug washer.
Hope it doesn't leak.
Anyone know where I can get these washers online?

BTW
Mobil 1 10w30(warm weather only) and a Wix oversize filter was used.
smile.gif

Rhino Ramps and 10 minutes of time!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
My cars are always like this, so consider yourself lucky in the past, I guess.

I've taken a chance in the past with the plug maybe a quarter inch past the oil pan but the corolla has it a half inch at least if not more.
Too scary.

The Fram Sure Drain is pretty nice and only sticks maybe half an inch out from the pan. Maybe would work for you. I run the Frams and like them. But they do drain slower.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
The Fram Sure Drain is pretty nice and only sticks maybe half an inch out from the pan. Maybe would work for you. I run the Frams and like them. But they do drain slower.

TP
I've never seen a Fram plug.
How much smaller is it than the Fumoto plug?

Hi Colt,

I looked at the Fumoto drain plug and also didn't like that it sticks out too much to my liking. Curbs, road debris and snow banks, you never know.

What do you mean by "oversize filter"?

Behemoth FL400S or WIX 51516 or just the small oversize WIX 1396.

For washers, I used the same one for 5 years on my past 99 Accord. It was a copper washer I had bought at the dealer, to replace the OEM aluminum washer but I guess that hardware stores carry them for cheap.

For my Corolla, I'm still using the OEM washer but have a new one around, just in case I would damage the one on the pan while doing the oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

TP

I put a Fram Sure Drain in the 96 Cherokee last fall during an oil change. When I used it to drain the oil this spring it took nearly 45 minutes to drain it out (to the end of the steady stream). I decided that it was WAY too slow for me and took it out and put the original plug back in.

Same results with my 300ZX-it took forever for it to drain. So I removed it too and chucked it in the garbage.

It would be a great idea if they would have made it big enough to drain at a reasonable speed
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Minou:
Hi Colt,

Minou
I looked at the Fumoto drain plug and also didn't like that it sticks out too much to my liking. Curbs, road debris and snow banks, you never know.

What do you mean by "oversize filter"?

Behemoth FL400S or WIX 51516 or just the small oversize WIX 1396.

For washers, I used the same one for 5 years on my past 99 Accord. It was a copper washer I had bought at the dealer, to replace the OEM aluminum washer but I guess that hardware stores carry them for cheap.

For my Corolla, I'm still using the OEM washer but have a new one around, just in case I would damage the one on the pan while doing the oil change.

I use oversized filters on the Corolla and Grand Prix.
Not much room for a bigger filter on the Cavalier.
Minou
The Cavalier uses the same stock filter as my Grand Prix.Yet the Cavalier is a 2.2L and the GP a 3.8L.
On the Corolla I use a Wix 51396.
I just ordered 10 Toyota washers online at $1.06 ea and $4.95 shipping.
I feel better about changing one with every oil change.I chnge the oil twice a year.
Although I used the same washer with the change today.
I'm going to stay with the stock drain plug.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Anyone know where I can get these washers online?

Just email Fumoto USA and they will send you a new wasker/gasket for free.

I could have used the rubber type Fumoto washer with the stock drain plug.
I didn't think of it.
So far the original washer is ok.

quote:

It probably is the same diameter, but should only stick out from the pan about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch. It comes with a nice brass cover that screws on to keep things clean. To drain, you screw a hose fitting on that opens the valve. I have only seen photos of the Fumoto valve and I would guess it sticks out 2 to 2.5 times as much as the Fram valve. You can get the Fram valve at AutoZone.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
I put a Fram Sure Drain in the 96 Cherokee last fall during an oil change. When I used it to drain the oil this spring it took nearly 45 minutes to drain it out (to the end of the steady stream).

Maybe there was something wrong with the valve? Or was your oil hot? Mine drains in maybe 5 to 10 minutes (not exactly sure as never timed it), but I don't wait for the very last drop either.

I have Fram Sure drains on all the outfits I change oil on incl my 2005 Corolla.

Colt, if you would like for me to take a photo of it installed and get it to you or post it here, I can do that for you.
grin.gif

It takes max of 10 mins to get all of the oil out on any car. And I'm talking maybe a drip once every 10-20 sec.. from 4 qt sumps to 6 qt sumps.

Love the sure drain! Makes taking samples very easy and clean...

Let me know if you'd like a photo!

Bill
smile.gif
I am happy
fruit.gif

Colt,

Went ahead and took the photo.

Here it is:

-

(just click on thumbnail for larger photo.. another window will open)

The crossmember behind the pan/sure drain is lower FYI..

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Colt,

Here it is:

-

(just click on thumbnail for larger photo.. another window will open)

The crossmember behind the pan/sure drain is lower FYI..

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks,Bill.
That's much better than the Fumoto plug.
I wish I would have heard the size of the Fram Quick drain before I ordered 10 washers online for $15!
I'll probably buy the Fram plug anyway.
Seems the Fram plug takes alot longer than the Fumoto plug to drain.
cheers.gif

I have a Fram SD on my wifes Sienna.Makes draining a snap however the removal is a messy affair
banghead.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill in Utah:
Colt,

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks,Bill.
That's much better than the Fumoto plug.
I wish I would have heard the size of the Fram Quick drain before I ordered 10 washers online for $15!
I'll probably buy the Fram plug anyway.
Seems the Fram plug takes alot longer than the Fumoto plug to drain.
cheers.gif

Your welcome!
grin.gif

I never used a Fumoto. I did not like that they had a lever for soemthing to catch on (My Truck is a 4x4 and I use it for off road and would hate a lever to get caught or something.)
dunno.gif

Plus the Sure drain comes with a excellent hose for draining into a container and is $12 sold me.

I can not tell you the speed diff between the two then.

I can tell you max of 10 mins if your really picky about waiting for the last drop with the sure drain. Just make sure you screw the hose on all the way. If you screw in on 1/2 way that would slow the drain.

On my Ford Taurus, for a test because someone here on the forum said that the Sure Drain kept 1/2 qt of old oil in the sump, I drained my car till it stopped dripping. Then got a drainpan and took the sure drain off.

Result, less than a teaspoon of oil... I really could not measure it since it was just a few dribbles on the pan.
shocked.gif

Waste of a copper washer..
rolleyes.gif
(oh the things we do for BITOG..
cheers.gif
)

Also, pick up a small hose clamp for the tube to keep it on. The tube can sometimes pop off if the oil is real hot and a good bend into a container is needed. The clamp fixes the problem there.

The sure drain comes with a copper washer so your ready there. I just used it alone and no problems.

Any other questions please let me know!

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
I have a Fram SD on my wifes Sienna.Makes draining a snap however the removal is a messy affair
banghead.gif

Alan,

Get a hose clamp on that bad boy and wola!
grin.gif

You just keep the end into a container while taking it off.

Once its off the car, hold the tube so it does not drop into the container (don't ask how i know this...
rolleyes.gif
) and pull it out with a rag close by.

If your using a container that is larger than the sump you just drained , you'll prob have no oil on it.

I have a few 5 qt containers and with my Truck which holds 6 qts, I drain till the 5 qt becomes 4 qts full. Then I pinch the Tube and swap containers and everything stays real clean.

I then store the tube in a old sock to let it drip into it. There is always some oil (very little a few drops worth) that get the sock dirty...

I get my samples the same way, just pinch the tube and go to town!
cool.gif

More than you wanted to know huh??
gr_eek2.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Looked up the model of Fumoto for my car, and found it needs the "extender" to clear the pan, then it sticks out ANOTHER inch!
Too far for me.
Went with Sure-Drain, and also changed out the orange tubing for something 'a little more flexible'.
Definitely slower to drain than stock, but overall, very happy.
doc

OK, Utah Bill, but I'll bet that is one poisonous teaspoon of used oil left in there every oil change, year in, year out, gaining strength, ready to pounce...

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
OK, Utah Bill, but I'll bet that is one poisonous teaspoon of used oil left in there every oil change, year in, year out, gaining strength, ready to pounce...

Residual oil is the very reason I have not installed the SD I purchased. I like as little pre-owned oil in my crankcase as practical/possible before refilling with nice fresh oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back