I'm new here, and after doing a quick sweep, there is no consensus-favorite oil to use?

OOPS! :ROFLMAO: DID IT AGAIN!!! I don't know how I hit new posts at least once a week and then I don't notice the date and bla bla bla to the screen!
Just like this one. Its either 10 years old or the person was a one timer ???? one hit wonderererererererer............
Well just think how nice it would have been if you could have just deleted your post!

2016 Lincoln MKT 3.5L Ecoboost, bought used at 47,000mi and always had NAPA full synthetic 5W30 with Motorcraft oil filters.
I watch many FordTechMakuloco vids on youtube; he suggests the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pros and cons please, of:
NAPA
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol Edge

I'd prefer a full synthetic with a high flashpoint (I know this matters with ATF), under $10 per quart, and best for use in turbo engines. Consider it will be changed every 4,000mi (severe schedule).
What other specs should I consider when choosing a synthetic motor oil??

Fwiw I think I've chosen to use WIX (not XP) or NAPA Platinum oil filters.
Thanks
I'm not going to give any suggestions as you have already received 7 pages of it, but I do share your sentiment and I too have felt it here that there is no FAVOURITE Oil nor there is a clearly DISLIKED oil at the moment on the forums. If you go all the way back and up till now you will see that it wasn't always like this.

Today $ is king, given all oils are good its about value and some folks determine via testing what oil did well for them in their specific car & they stick to it etc.

We do not have an oil today which can meet the craze once GC had nor there is much hatred for RP oils, there was a time M1 0W40 SL/SM was known to give you high Iron numbers & was disliked but that is not true today...

In totality it seems to me that Pennzoil is probably the most popular brand here at the moment but you will find large supporters and fans for pretty much every brand here...

Hope this helps!

The consensus is, us a high quality motor oil, change it more frequently than you need to. Wax on ever so eloquently about why you choose this oil or that oil and filter combo, the quality of your UOA's and so on. Then hope beyond hope you don't get T-boned by a person in a dump truck running a red light when your car has 100k on it and it waste all your efforts. So few of us keep our cars long enough to actually see the validation of the efforts put into all the consternation and wrangling of thought of this process. Most of us do it for the pure enjoyment of the process and conversation. I personally in my life have never had a oil related failure or component failure, being a 50 year old and a avid car enthusiast I have had large number of cars and motorcycles in my life.

The consensus is, us a high quality motor oil, change it more frequently than you need to. Wax on ever so eloquently about why you choose this oil or that oil and filter combo, the quality of your UOA's and so on. Then hope beyond hope you don't get T-boned by a person in a dump truck running a red light when your car has 100k on it and it waste all your efforts. So few of us keep our cars long enough to actually see the validation of the efforts put into all the consternation and wrangling of thought of this process. Most of us do it for the pure enjoyment of the process and conversation. I personally in my life have never had a oil related failure or component failure, being a 50 year old and a avid car enthusiast I have had large number of cars and motorcycles in my life.
U know I think getting T-boned is more a chance these days than any engine failures. Yet at 65 years, I been around all sorts of vehicles , had many , worked on and enjoyed all aspects of motor cars and even racing. Worked on my cars and family & friends. Still wish I could.

Most magazines I bought and still do are always about autos. In all that time I only know of two incidents in my life of any engine failure.

#1 One was so long ago, my Dad's 1967 (Ford 289) that was settled out as a defect and covered under warranty.

#2 The other was a used truck that failed on a buddy not long after his purchase in 1985. He determined it was clearly not maintaned when he broke into it. Both were actual crankshaft failures. Almost an unheard of failure even then in a regular duty vehicle. He was able to clean it up, rebuild (Ford 302) and got many miles of use after. I had the same exact engine in a used truck also, but was lucky and it ran great forever.

You have to be an auto enthusiast , get enjoyment out of automobiles etc... to focus , question, research and even obsess as SOME of us do here. I fully admit to Oil Change Delusion (among other quirks as I face getting older).

It is a gift to find a site so full of so many individuals with similar likes and interests as is found here BITOG, to learn from and share with and yank each other's chains:ROFLMAO: now and then. Guess its all part of ownership and at the $cost$ of many vehicles today we best hope there is enjoyment there as well. :) Happy New Years and hope it is a better / peace filled one for us all. Happy motoring too.

Last edited:
Asking what the best/favorite oil is, is like asking who your favorite football team is.... Prepare for a multitude of answers....

What I decided that the "correct" Bob the Oil Guy answer should be: whatever is fully synthetic, has the right approvals, and on sale cuz you're going to be changing the oil way before even what's listed on the severe/normal maintenance schedule.

(which is what I do)

Back