I'm new here, and after doing a quick sweep, there is no consensus-favorite oil to use?

Favorite food is completely subjective. The "best" oil would be based on science including physics, chemistry, engine design, etc. The problem with answering the question is we are not informed or educated enough to determine the answer. Even if we understood all there is to know about any given oil, we'd then need to apply the circumstances of the engine it's going into.

But, I believe there are some oils that are better than others generally speaking. Again, we don't even have the information to make that determination. All we can do is look at PDS's and apply what we understand of the specs to our situation.

I do not believe that the cost of an oil somehow magically changes its chemistry to make it the best oil. A simple dictionary reference will clarify that "best" is not synonymous with "cheapest".
I think most here know some expensive PVL’s are better … but the majority of members here would not use those products to their full potential … and tend to post a reason for dumping early …
I‘m still waiting for somebody to do what Harry does - but do it with Kirkland

If that's the case, what's the best ? Hint: There isn't one....
Yeah, there is.

But it's beyond feasible and for most impossible to figure it out, and then the oil's spec changes and you start all over.

2016 Lincoln MKT 3.5L Ecoboost, bought used at 47,000mi and always had NAPA full synthetic 5W30 with Motorcraft oil filters.
I watch many FordTechMakuloco vids on youtube; he suggests the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pros and cons please, of:
NAPA
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol Edge

I'd prefer a full synthetic with a high flashpoint (I know this matters with ATF), under $10 per quart, and best for use in turbo engines. Consider it will be changed every 4,000mi (severe schedule).
What other specs should I consider when choosing a synthetic motor oil??

Fwiw I think I've chosen to use WIX (not XP) or NAPA Platinum oil filters.
Thanks
Keep sweeping bud, you ain’t going to find diddly squat on the “best oil”

I truly feel sorry for anyone who stumbles upon nates interactive auto. The internet is great for information, but just as great for misinformation…
That squirrel is kind of a cross between Scotty Kilmer and Project Farm ... just another YouTuber trying to come up with as much click bait and misinformation as possible to make a buck.

I've never used Castrol, strangely. Not that I have a logical reason, my father just told me it would sludge stuff up because it did so in the 70s maybe. He was always a big Valvoline fan, so I inherited that I guess. I've heard rumors of Castrol sludge and varnish here and other places online, but part of me still wants to try this forbidden fruit of oil. I do remember Castrol advertising the absolute most as a kid on TV in the early 2000s with the Nickelodeon slime style sludge commercials.

I still enjoy changing oil.

I'm trying Castrol in my daughters VW Beetle. First time in my life. What you mentioned above is the exact reason why I have never bought it before....Also that Pennzoil is a terrible oil that causes leaks, so I need to stop that thinking too.

Always been a Valvoline or Havoline user. Slowly getting more open to trying other brands.

Havoline 6 Quart box will always be used in my Chrysler due to convenience.
The Wrangler gets what ever 1 gallon jug is on sale (Rotella, Delo, etc.), but is an every other year oil change due to low mileage.
My new to me Camry will be getting Valvoline, as I have it on my shelf.
VW Beetle is getting Castrol 0w-40 European Blend, as I read good things about it for a VW 2.0.

Used Supertech in my sons' Camry twice, as he is a starving college student, changed once a year, or about 6000 miles.

2016 Lincoln MKT 3.5L Ecoboost, bought used at 47,000mi and always had NAPA full synthetic 5W30 with Motorcraft oil filters.
I watch many FordTechMakuloco vids on youtube; he suggests the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pros and cons please, of:
NAPA
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol Edge

I'd prefer a full synthetic with a high flashpoint (I know this matters with ATF), under $10 per quart, and best for use in turbo engines. Consider it will be changed every 4,000mi (severe schedule).
What other specs should I consider when choosing a synthetic motor oil??

Fwiw I think I've chosen to use WIX (not XP) or NAPA Platinum oil filters.
Thanks
Welcome gadgetball. I am a short timer on here. Lots of good knowledgable folks on here who can answer lots of your questions. As far as best oil from BITOG, seems we agree that just about any of the new SYN oils that are approved by your auto manufacturer will do well. You can't go wrong these days seems like. Almost all of the newer for 2021 / 2022 oils from known makers are so similar it is hard for folks to agree on a brand itself. Most of all seem to agree - use a good known company's synth oil, the correct weight your vehicle calls for, maybe send in some oil for used oil analysis and go from there. You can use your uoa sample results to help you figure if your oil satisfies you and also to help you figure your best mileage / your oil change intervals based on what you see in your results. You have a turbo. I do too. But I am doing short oil change intervals due to oil / fuel dilution with my specific Honda Di turbo. You can maybe go longer intervals if you are not finding fuel in your oil like some of us Honda owners. Probably not what you want to hear so maybe someone will chime in and STATE they do know "the best oil in the land?" You never can tell. Welcome aboard man. (y)

Looks like he hasn't returned since Jan 24,2021. One hit wonder.
OOPS! :ROFLMAO: DID IT AGAIN!!! I don't know how I hit new posts at least once a week and then I don't notice the date and bla bla bla to the screen!
Just like this one. Its either 10 years old or the person was a one timer ???? one hit wonderererererererer............

Back