I'm new here, and after doing a quick sweep, there is no consensus-favorite oil to use?

I've never used Castrol, strangely. Not that I have a logical reason, my father just told me it would sludge stuff up because it did so in the 70s maybe. He was always a big Valvoline fan, so I inherited that I guess. I've heard rumors of Castrol sludge and varnish here and other places online, but part of me still wants to try this forbidden fruit of oil. I do remember Castrol advertising the absolute most as a kid on TV in the early 2000s with the Nickelodeon slime style sludge commercials.

I still enjoy changing oil.

Castrol cleared the sludge out of my engine. Got my truck which had some in there and started using Castrol and have used it since I bought it. Works great. Not saying other oil would not do that but Castrol proved it is good so I keep using it. Valvoline is good too and it was the first oil so that is definitely a thing to remember it’s lasted this long so it must be good.

People here use oil base on quantitative and qualitative factors. To me the best oil is the one you change regularly along with a good oil filter. 99% of off the shelf synthetic oils will take your engine past 150,000 miles easily if changed on regular intervals.

If I were you
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40
You’ve got a big 3.5 turbo boy there

So the OP created a fake account to ask a question here, with the hope that someone would suggest Fram filters and WPP oil, so they could tell us we're wrong?

I suspect he is our ford edge friend or one of his minions. I'm not sure we will be hearing from the OP again.

I understand this is a troll thread, but my favorite oil is whatever is on clearance and yet still Dexos approved.

RGT- after rebate $1 dollar a quart. Loved that oil too.

Mobil 1 - when they were running their rebate three years ago. $2 dollars a quart.

Pennzoil Platinum - $2 dollars a quart after rebate.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability - $2 dollars a quart on clearance

Valvoline Modern Engine - $2 dollars a quart on clearance and probably my biggest bargain after seeing it for $12 a quart on Amazon

Castrol Magnetic - free. Someone gave me a case free. Loved it too

And if there is no rebates or clearance sales going on, it’s Super Tech at $14 for five quarts.

Oh, and I never would have known or heard about rebates and oil clearance sales, if not for THIS place. So thank you Bob is the oil guy. I have over 60 quarts of oil sitting in my garage...all name brand stuff, paid $2 or less for each quart. Oh, and now I’ve learned of Kirkland oil...so I did learn something new on the troll thread.

Great oil !! We call it Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 over here, but it’s the same stuff.
A GTL synthetic with all the Euro OEMs A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40.
And it’s API SP too, a rare oil thh he at combines it with the euro approvals

No need. If a brand new member comes in and asks a reasonable question and doesn’t fly off the handle with insults and gobbledygook then they will be welcomed by everyone.
Is there a minimum of insults before you get banned? Old gadget threw out a few on his “first” thread, yet he’s still around, i.e., he is still welcomed.

I think it’s a real thread I don’t feel it’s a troll thread. You can still view the OP profile so he isn’t banned or on vacation. Hopefully he will get a good oil for his car.

I think it’s a real thread I don’t feel it’s a troll thread. You can still view the OP profile so he isn’t banned or on vacation. Hopefully he will get a good oil for his car.

You clearly missed the absolutely awful posts he made that were removed. He's likely on a temporary vacation, which is why his profile is still visible and he hasn't responded.

You clearly missed the absolutely awful posts he made that were removed. He's likely on a temporary vacation, which is why his profile is still visible and he hasn't responded.
I seen them in the post that got those quoted. The name calling and everything. I thought when one went on vacation you couldn’t view their profile either. Shows him being active at like 10 last night.

I seen them in the post that got those quoted. The name calling and everything. I thought when one went on vacation you couldn’t view their profile either. Shows him being active at like 10 last night.
That makes sense, he was probably given a 24hr "time out". He made this thread ~1PM yesterday and it didn't immediately go in the crapper, I think clean-up happened just before 7?

Not sure how banning works on the new forum in terms of profile viewing. I can see profiles of members I know were banned (various reincarnations) still so..... 🤷‍♂️

Back