I'm new here, and after doing a quick sweep, there is no consensus-favorite oil to use?

2016 Lincoln MKT 3.5L Ecoboost, bought used at 47,000mi and always had NAPA full synthetic 5W30 with Motorcraft oil filters.
I watch many FordTechMakuloco vids on youtube; he suggests the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pros and cons please, of:
NAPA
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol Edge

I'd prefer a full synthetic with a high flashpoint (I know this matters with ATF), under $10 per quart, and best for use in turbo engines. Consider it will be changed every 4,000mi (severe schedule).
What other specs should I consider when choosing a synthetic motor oil??

Fwiw I think I've chosen to use WIX (not XP) or NAPA Platinum oil filters.
Thanks

The problem with determining which is the best oil is we have a lack of hard data, so we just like to mostly use conjecture, speculation, and pretty labels most of time when we argue about what's the "best" around here. 😁

Personally, I'm kind of a tightwad, so I'll usually pick the one that's on sale at Walmart or Tractor Supply.

🍿

Gadgetball, welcome. Lots of oils will do the job and quality, to a point, will determine interval. Since you're only planning to go 4,000 miles for each OCI, then any decent off the shelf synthetic should be fine; and I agree the oils you mentioned at 4k will be good. Possibly underutilized.

I looked for the best oil when I first got my 2018 3.5L EB F-150. I compiled a bunch of different UOA's for the engine and compared them. Turns out that oils that meet spec all pretty much perform the same.

I picked up a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum when it went on sale for nearly 50% off, then added the $10 mail in rebate to get 5L jugs for $12ish CAD each.

You haven’t done much research here yet it appears. Consensus is whatever oil you can get the cheapest ie, rebate, clearance, Walmart.com listing errors, Autozone yearly clearance, are all the best oils. The king of the best oils are the ones that are purchased on clearance with a rebate that pays you money.

You haven’t done much research here yet it appears. Consensus is whatever oil you can get the cheapest ie, rebate, clearance, Walmart.com listing errors, Autozone yearly clearance, are all the best oils. The king of the best oils are the ones that are purchased on clearance with a rebate that pays you money.
If you assume that there isn't that much difference in performance between oils that meet the same specifications, then those are wise words. In the absence of hard data, who's to say which is the case?

It kinda feels like you're not in that camp, though, stower17, which is totally cool.

5K OCI's ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 156
So SN, SN Plus, SP doesn't matter?
Most quality and popular oils have moved onto sp so that would be the one to roll with at this point or selling off the old stock that is still sn+. Most of the sn oils I've found are bulk or dollar store conventional/synblends which would probably still work but may as well use sp when it is so prevalent now. Rock a full syn sp oil and you'll be just fine.

Back