I'm new here, and after doing a quick sweep, there is no consensus-favorite oil to use?

Well that was easy, you are new here and "get it". Countless members here, well...how do I say it...... consensus is not in their vocabulary. Welcome, enjoy!

Well that was easy, you are new here and "get it". Countless members here, well...how do I say it...... consensus is not in their vocabulary. Welcome, enjoy!
The new member had one or two posts where he was cursing at other members and calling us derogatory words. Now they are deleted but IMO the whole thread should have been deleted.

Everyone knows Amsoil Signature Series is the best oil money can buy. But who wants to spend 80 bucks on an oil change? No thanks. That’s why you stick with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and call it a day. Or if you’re a cheapskate, anything from Warren distribution. When it comes to filters, for your application I’d stick with motorcraft filters as they’re made in the USA and can be picked up for 4 bucks at Walmart. Same exact high quality like the Wix but for half the price.

I don't spend time looking for rebates any more, I just buy Super Tech FS 0w20 in the 12 quart box for $2.50 a quart.
ST seems about as good as any other oil and it's probably not worth obsessing about any longer.
It has the right viscosity and other standards such as SP rating so I should be good with it.

Many Fram oil filters have been opened on youtube, and rust found inside. That rust then mixes in with your oil.
Hmmm, I've not heard that claim before.
Many people here use Fram and seem to swear by them.
I'm fixing to run a Fram at my next OCI.

I don't trust Fram canisters, but I'm using a Fram cartridge on my Ford Fusion. I had an engine blow with a Fram filter on my Supra, though it likely was due to using too much engine flushing type stuff and clogging the already too small filter. Complex story but now I won't use Fram canisters, plenty of other people have done fine with them but I personally won't.

My mom has a Ford Five Hundred with the 3.0 Duratec V6 and we've used Motorcraft all but 1-2 or times where I've used a NAPA Gold Wix. At least back in the day, Motorcraft filters were as good or better than Wix with silicone anti-drainback valves. They're within a dollar or two of Fram at Wal-Mart, too. I've even used Motorcraft filters on non-Ford vehicles if they can be fitted, they're probably the best buy right now since NAPA is a bit expensive if they're not on sale.

For oil, I feel partial to Valvoline and Supertech. Supertech high mileage conventional actually runs smoother than Motorcraft synthetic blend in my mom's Five Hundred.

As far as thread drama, nothing to contribute but I find this forum is cozy and everyone should be nice to each other because this is one of the last bastions of oldschool forums with decent activity on the whole internet, so why be mean on it?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum. Any oil of the ones you listed should be fine to use. SP is newest rating so try to find one of those. But any of those you listed will do fine. I like the Napa oil it’s good stuff haven’t had any issues with it but I will also continue to be a Castrol fan in a way as well.

I guess the best oil for me is different for each car.

'94 Ford passed to me when dad passed away, running Formula Shell 10w40 purchased late 1990's-early 2000's.
'97 Ford bought new running Exxon Superflo, 10w40 purchased mid 1990's
'02 Ford bought used running Formula Shell, 10w40 purchased late 1990's-early 2000's.
'16 Nissan Versa bought used running Citgo Supergaurd, 10w40 purchased early-mid 2000's.

All oils are conventional and were bought for under $1. a quart. All cars are doing fine on their respective oil with little or no oil usage. Filters for all the Fords are various brands that I bought in the 1990's-2000's at store close outs for $ .25-$1.00 each. The Versa is using Parts Plus filters made by Champion Labs bought in 2019 from Rock Auto for $2. each including shipping to my house.

Last edited:
Everyone knows Amsoil Signature Series is the best oil money can buy. But who wants to spend 80 bucks on an oil change? No thanks. That’s why you stick with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and call it a day. Or if you’re a cheapskate, anything from Warren distribution. When it comes to filters, for your application I’d stick with motorcraft filters as they’re made in the USA and can be picked up for 4 bucks at Walmart. Same exact high quality like the Wix but for half the price.
I buy and use Amsoil because it lasts. I take BITOG care of my vehicles, but I have no desire to spend any more time under them than necessary. Amsoil SS will last me more than a year and I change my oil according to test lab results; I've spent a small fortune on test lab results, and $80/yr is ~$6.66667/month. There are guys on here who brag about having an 85 quart or more oil "stash." 2 cases of Amsoil will last me two years and I have room for other things in my garage.
Now, as far as a "consensus" on BITOG, there is none. Do whatever lets you sleep at night. I do. And I don't care if you like what I do or not. You can change your oil every few hundred miles if you like; with the cheapest oil you can find. Live and let live. ;)

WPP is almost half the price of a vanilla synth oil and has a decent add pack. no brainer honestly
Absolutely with Kirkland Synthetic SP 12 packs of Quart bottles delivered to the door for 22 bucks I just can’t see why not. I ran out of my RGT stash and now have Kirkland in the sump for a little over 1000 miles in two weeks.
I have run Mobil 1 castrol magnatec in the truck as well. It doesn’t run any different.
With the most recent certifications there is not going to be a lot of variation between the oils/brands and labels unless you go European, high mileage or boutique.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum. Any oil of the ones you listed should be fine to use. SP is newest rating so try to find one of those. But any of those you listed will do fine. I like the Napa oil it’s good stuff haven’t had any issues with it but I will also continue to be a Castrol fan in a way as well.
I've never used Castrol, strangely. Not that I have a logical reason, my father just told me it would sludge stuff up because it did so in the 70s maybe. He was always a big Valvoline fan, so I inherited that I guess. I've heard rumors of Castrol sludge and varnish here and other places online, but part of me still wants to try this forbidden fruit of oil. I do remember Castrol advertising the absolute most as a kid on TV in the early 2000s with the Nickelodeon slime style sludge commercials.

I buy and use Amsoil because it lasts. I take BITOG care of my vehicles, but I have no desire to spend any more time under them than necessary. Amsoil SS will last me more than a year and I change my oil according to test lab results; I've spent a small fortune on test lab results, and $80/yr is ~$6.66667/month. There are guys on here who brag about having an 85 quart or more oil "stash." 2 cases of Amsoil will last me two years and I have room for other things in my garage.
Now, as far as a "consensus" on BITOG, there is none. Do whatever lets you sleep at night. I do. And I don't care if you like what I do or not. You can change your oil every few hundred miles if you like; with the cheapest oil you can find. Live and let live. ;)
I still enjoy changing oil.

Back