I'm looking for an engine flush/cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 GMC Sierra with 5.7 V8. I was checking my oil last night and decided to look down the oil fill tube. I noticed it looks kind of sludgy inside the valve cover. I've only had the truck for 5 months. It has about 145,000 miles on it. I gave it an oil change right when I got it, because I really had no idea how long the oil was in there. I'm about 500 miles or so away from my next oil change, and I am looking for some type of flush or cleaner I could run for a while to clean up the engine before I change the oil again.

Any recommendations?

I'd so go with some MMO for the rest of this oil nchange then fill with MMO and PYB at the OCI

You'll get a lot of naysayers in this thread I'm sure, so throw on your flame retardant suit :)

As far as flushes, the only thing I've ever used and can vouch for is seafoam. 1.5 fl. oz. of seafoam per quart of oil crankcase capacity. Dump it into a cold engine (doesn't sound smart to dump a room temperature liquid into a 100+ degrees crankcase, right?) and run the vehicle as normal for a couple days; depending on how brave your are.

Some people say there's a risk riding around with the Seafoam in your crankcase - BUT, right on the bottle and their website it says Seafoam can be used as a POST-oil change treatment (dump it into fresh oil directly after an oil change, and change the oil at 3,000 miles), or as a PRE-oil change treatment (dump it in before your next oil change, but monitor oil color; if the oil gets too dark [black] then change the oil, don't go more than 3k with the Seafoam in the crankcase).

You'd be following the PRE-oil change treatment. Sure, I wouldn't advise WOT runs at cold-start or anything of the sort
wink.gif
But other than that, I got compliements from the KIA tech who serviced my vehicle after a Seafoam treatment. No, I didn't tell him I used Seafoam; lol that's my secret. All he could say, "oh must be that Bulk Pennzoil we got here!" pfft...lol.

With the age of that engine I would not use anything harsh as a 15 minute miracle bottle. Looking at this long term is going to be much better for you. You dont know whats in the pan and I wouldn't want to risk restricting flow through the pickup by harsh cleaners.

MMO and a good detergent conventional will take a little longer to cleanup, but it is much safer route to go.

You could use the new GF-5 rated Pennzoil 10w-30. It's supposed to clean 40% of the sludge in your engine with just one use. $12.50 for a five-quart jug at Wal Mart.

Try the new Amsoil Engine flush. It's detergent based. (About time).
smirk2.gif

Or, switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage. That oil will certainly clean up any existing sludge/deposits.

I currently have Seafoam and MMO. If I decide to go with MMO, how much should I add, and how long should it be left in?

I used a bottle of Gunk engine flush (a whole quart bottle) on my old Corolla wagon one time. I left it in 5 minutes longer than recommended (10 minutes rec'd, I left it in for 15) then proceeded to drive the car up onto my wheel ramps to change the oil. The oil pressure light flickered at me a few times. I suppose I should have put the car up on the ramps first.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
One quart MMO in about 1k miles. Or you can try Lubegard Engine Flush 95030.

Well, I put a quart of MMO in and will change the oil in about 500 miles or so. I think when I get to within 500 miles of the next oil change, I'll do the same thing with the can of Sea Foam I have. Sound like a reasonable plan?

Originally Posted By: Big_Ed
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
One quart MMO in about 1k miles. Or you can try Lubegard Engine Flush 95030.

Well, I put a quart of MMO in and will change the oil in about 500 miles or so. I think when I get to within 500 miles of the next oil change, I'll do the same thing with the can of Sea Foam I have. Sound like a reasonable plan?

I've never used seafoam in the oil. I would use a qt of MMO and run it for the full OCI next run. If you are concerned with thinning your oil too much, then step up a grade as already mentioned. Or you could try this, lets say your engine calls for 5W30 and holds 5 qts, use 2qts 5W30, 2 qts 10W40 and 1 qt MMO. MMO will clean the engine safely, just keep an eye on the oil level.

As a side note, here is another option and something I do from time to time. Add a pint of MMO for the last 1000 miles of your OCI's, then run the full qt during the winter, no need to go up a grade. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back