I'm looking at another car 😱

Apparently I'm the only one that ever read the manual on a 3MZ vehicle?
10.8:1 compression isn't in the realm of needing higher octane?
View attachment 121099
It doesn't strictly need premium, but I have definitely noticed more pinging and reduced power on regular?
AFAIK this "improved performance" disclaimer is in every owners manual of a 3MZ Highlander/Sienna/RX/ES

Either that or I've wasted a lot of money over the past 7 years 😦
Not to be a negative-Nancy, but yeah, probably a lot of money wasted.

It's a Camry.

Apparently I'm the only one that ever read the manual on a 3MZ vehicle?
10.8:1 compression isn't in the realm of needing higher octane?
It doesn't strictly need premium, but I have definitely noticed more pinging and reduced power on regular?
AFAIK this "improved performance" disclaimer is in every owners manual of a 3MZ Highlander/Sienna/RX/ES

Either that or I've wasted a lot of money over the past 7 years 😦
If it is pinging on 87 octane you have a different problem. I have used 87 in my 3MZ since day one and it has never pinged, and my van is quite a bit heavier than your Camry. I have run 91 in it a few times just to see if I could tell any difference in performance or gas mileage and didn't notice any improvement in either.

When I was half joking about the Camry going longer without a repair, I totally didn't take rust and road salt into consideration, living here on the west coast. I also wasn't saying that the Camry would last longer than the Focus. I just knew that generation of Focus had some common and significant issues. Bad TPS sensors, power steering systems, etc. The models with the PowerShift dual clutch transmissions were also a flaming mess. Not sure if these were included in the 2010 models.

I called the woman, let her know that pending a test drive tomorrow morning, I'll buy it at the asking price of $5500
She seems most satisfied, as she wants one less thing to worry about (insurance bill due the 25th)
Whether she wants a cashier's check or cash, I'll print up a bill of sale
I gotta return her husband's belongings, the plates and registration to her, pick up the other key
She's home bound with her husband and his aide, I'm trying to be courteous and respectful
Project Milan was a home run, Project xB² laughed at it's haters, let's see if I'm 3 for 3
This is the most money I've ever spent on any car
It probably won't be put on the road immediately, so I'll do minor maintenance while it's laying around
OCI, transmission drain and fill, upgraded idler pulley to prevent timing cover failure
Maybe I'll order the pre painted bumper cover
We'll play it by ear 👂
Fingers crossed 🤞

Apparently young people like myself only make stupid short sighted and incorrect decisions

Trying to break the mold here 👁️👄👁️

Last edited:
I know they really like to rust out on the rockers/dog leg
This one seems pretty good (not perfect)
But if I Krown or Cavity wax the good parts, wire brush and paint the surface rust, I think it'll hold up pretty well, there's not a rust blister to be found on the rockers/doors
Pinch weld has a tiny bit, but I think if I get ahead of it, it'll stay presentable for years to come
View attachment 121105
View attachment 121107
View attachment 121108
I'll pull those clips on the lines and spray
That's how the brake lines rotted out on my late Taurus 😳
This is another similar Fusion I happened across somewhere in Corona, this is what happens when they get real bad
View attachment 121109
View attachment 121110
The not as good side of my daily driver Camry
View attachment 121111
The Milan is in the body shop now getting fixed, so I'm paying him a little extra to cavity wax both rockers and the front subframe+ wherever he sees fit
Prevention rather than cure right 👍
Man that thing is in excellent condition body wise !
I would snap that up in a heart beat

As far as I know, the transverse 3.5 and 3.7 have the internal WP. No others that I know of.
Correct. My sister replaced her 2010 Taurus when the water pump failed and mechanically totalled the car, with a 2005 Camry for $2500. Rough paint but no rust. My sister loves her Camry but she hates the lack of power compared to the 3.5 v6 that the Taurus had.

That would be the biggest thing I would hate about going from the v6 Camry to a 4 cylinder fusion, it's going to feel a bit slow. Of course it will be easier to work on than the v6 in the Camry and if it is getting rusty underneath then it was probably a worthwhile upgrade.

Correct. My sister replaced her 2010 Taurus when the water pump failed and mechanically totalled the car, with a 2005 Camry for $2500. Rough paint but no rust. My sister loves her Camry but she hates the lack of power compared to the 3.5 v6 that the Taurus had.

That would be the biggest thing I would hate about going from the v6 Camry to a 4 cylinder fusion, it's going to feel a bit slow. Of course it will be easier to work on than the v6 in the Camry and if it is getting rusty underneath then it was probably a worthwhile upgrade.
We have a 2009 Mazda5 in the family, equipped with the Duratech 2.3 (the predecessor to the 2.5). It's actually pretty peppy (although that is with the 5-speed MT).

And yes, plug changes are easy.

The engine has been trouble-free as well - I wouldn't hesitate to buy another vehicle with a Duratech 2.0/2.3/2.5.

I also wasn't saying that the Camry would last longer than the Focus. I just knew that generation of Focus had some common and significant issues. Bad TPS sensors, power steering systems, etc. The models with the PowerShift dual clutch transmissions were also a flaming mess. Not sure if these were included in the 2010 models.
Fusion, not Focus. Different car.

I too think the purchase is a good deal. Having said that ---

The two Nissan's in my sig have identical drivetrains, they were both purchased by me new, and maintained and fixed when needed by me. One now has 140K miles and the other 380K miles. Now the VQ40 / 5 speed was an awesome platform, but honestly I don't believe one is in significantly better shape than the other. There is no salt here so thats maybe a big part of it. My point is, I think age and maintenance is way more important than the number of miles - IMHO.

EIther way looks like they would both be excellent vehicles to own. Good luck!

PXL_20221015_155329267.jpg

$5500 later it's done
I'm not exactly happy with how it all went down, but I'll write it all up in the evening

Back