I'm looking at another car 😱

Because idle hands are the devil's plaything
I'm starting to wonder if I should preventatively upgrade my trusty and beloved 2006 Camry SE V6
Because at 193k, should I quit while I'm ahead?
How much longer does that transmission have left in it?
It's been a long ride (7 years and 150k) I put on that car, but premium gas is getting expensive 🫰
I won't get rid of it immediately, I'd keep it at least the winter
And I might cry, because first car 😭
I spotted a 2010 Fusion SEL, 36,395 miles
Smokestone metallic (beige 🙄) over Camel leather (beige 🙄)
One (now unfortunately incapacitated) elderly owner, and the wife wants it gone before she's gotta pay more on the insurance
PXL_20221010_205311571.jpg

Rust is surprisingly minimal and surface, interior is a little out of sorts, but would probably clean up
Original owner, both keys, one minor accident on the Carfax (a bumper cover would sort it out)
I'm not 18 anymore (25 👴), and things like gas mileage and lack of side airbags now concern me (I've only been hit 4 times in 5 years 💀)
With the success Project Milan was (currently in body shop), I see it's a nice driving reasonable platform
In many ways I see it as a restage of the Camry, I acquired it from it's first owner 10 years old with 52k on it
This Fusion is 12 years old, with 37k on it
Heated leather, sunroof, Sony audio
It's nowhere near as fast, but probably more comfortable for commuting

What say the wise people of the internet?

Would you give $5500 give or take for it?

I'm gonna go test drive it Saturday morning, and if I like how it goes I'll probably bring it home with me, stash it behind the gate until next spring

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:
My in laws have a 2012 fusion with the 2.5 4 cylinder. It's been a bulletproof car for then at 230k miles. But rust will take it pretty soon now.

Which engine does the Fusion SEL have in it?

I've said this many times, but my employer bought thousands of those Fusions, in all three generations (I consider the 2010-2012 as a generation... and they were the best ones). They'd still be buying them if Ford wasn't so stupid.

That generation Fusion was a solid platform.
If it has the 2.5 in it, that is another plus.
The Camry has almost 200k on it.
While it still has life left in it, you are hitting a point where the wear items are going to start cashing it in.
So 4 years newer, 160K less miles, for $5500?
I'd say as long as the body is solid, the Fusion is the choice.
If you sell the Camry, you could probably do the swap for about 2K or so.

Which engine does the Fusion SEL have in it?

I've said this many times, but my employer bought thousands of those Fusions, in all three generations (I consider the 2010-2012 as a generation... and they were the best ones). They'd still be buying them if Ford wasn't so stupid.
This one's a 2.5 I4/6 speed auto
FWD so I'm skipping out on PTU/driveshaft issues
I'm skipping the oil leaks and coil/PCM issues of the 3.0
I'm skipping the water pump in the crankcase issues of the 3.5 Cyclone of Fusion Sport/MKZ
It's an SEL, with Moon & Tune package, so a moonroof and the 12 speaker Sony audio
Rear parking sensors and all weather mats are the only other options on the sticker
BLIS would have been nice, but I've made it 7 years without it, and I can add a backup camera
Screenshot_20221014-075722.png

I've never been this excited to take cash out of my savings account
I'm gonna be so disappointed if it doesn't drive decently 😭

Last edited:
2.5L duratec is what I have in my escape. It's a dog but its bulletproof. In this market $5500 all day long for that fusion.

I'd say you might be able to get 5k for the toyota from someone else.

First thing I would do with that fusion is go through all the filters and fluids (Coolant, Brake, Trans, Oil), and change everything. Then look forward to a nice car for dirt cheap.

I really have to admire you for having common sense. Yes, I would buy the car and it should last a long time. Most people your age want 7 years of payments, leather interior, sunroof and all the bells and whistles. Then they complain 3 years later because their car is only worth half of what they paid for it in todays crazy market. Plus the banker will tell them they cannot buy an older car for a small amount of money however the banker is very happy to borrow money on a new car for a 7 year note. Definitely it's time for you to trade up.

2.5L duratec is what I have in my escape. It's a dog but its bulletproof. In this market $5500 all day long for that fusion.

I'd say you might be able to get 5k for the toyota from someone else.

First thing I would do with that fusion is go through all the filters and fluids (Coolant, Brake, Trans, Oil), and change everything. Then look forward to a nice car for dirt cheap.
Luckily I have some experience with this platform

You don't need to use premium gas in your Camry. Using it might gain you 1 or 2 horsepower and 0.1 MPG better gas mileage, but the price difference doesn't justify using it. Using regular won't hurt anything and won't make the engine wear-out any faster.

Back