I'm liking my O'Reilly Havoline 5W-20 dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Red91
I kind of agree. If you can afford to own high end automobiles, why draw the line at spending money on synthetic oil and lab testing? I would probably entertain both.

Because the ROI is not worth testing if you are not going to run a PCMO down to the last moment. If using a factory recommendation for a OCI you have the benefit of the manufacture of doing the research for you.

Also it is the OP's cars. If he/she wanted to use 15W40 HDEO for the entire fleet of vehicles that is the OP's decision to make and I doubt there would be a engine lubrication failure.

There is a lot of elitism on this site when it comes to "synthetic" oils.

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Why'd you go with a 5w20 when it specs 0w20

I am of the opinion that a 5W20 dino oil change every 5K miles is better for the car than a synthetic 0W20 oil change every 10K miles. Plus the OP lives in the southeast, so the cold flow properties of 0W20 are not a real benefit for him.

I can't really talk my way out of this one. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I do not have any favoritism towards synthetics over conventionals, and I've never had a lab analyze oil for me. I really don't have the money for it either, but if I did, I would want to have at least a UOA on the product. I didn't mean to come off as curt as I did; it is his money and his car and he is free to do with it as he wishes. I was just dropping by, dropping a line. I suppose I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have a lab done on the oil in your car if you do have the funds to afford new and/or higher end vehicles. More to the point of the post, if I had the Camry in question, I'd most likely run a conventional as he has done, but I certainly wouldn't always pass on a good synthetic either.

I used to change my oil every 5k but after seeing my UOA showing low wear and life left I'll continue to use a premium synthetic oil and change every 10k

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Why'd you go with a 5w20 when it specs 0w20

I am of the opinion that a 5W20 dino oil change every 5K miles is better for the car than a synthetic 0W20 oil change every 10K miles. Plus the OP lives in the southeast, so the cold flow properties of 0W20 are not a real benefit for him.

Why do you think changing with a Dino every 5k is better than synthetic every 10k???

Why do you think changing with a Dino every 5k is better than synthetic every 10k???

It's probably not better.

But I know it's not worse.

And unless you are buying synthetic and a filter for less than $32 per oil change, it's certainly cheaper.

Some signature synthetic oils retail for $10+ a quart.

And many of them have a lower initial TBN than Havoline dino.

Keyboard cowboys? It is a discussion forum, so things get discussed. When you post something, anything, it is subject to everyone's opinion. Sometimes differing opinions are offered, and sometimes the subject changes. It's the nature of the beast. I don't think anyone has become a "Keyboard Cowboy", but a good point is made that if you own and maintain new and/or high end cars, you really shouldn't skimp out on quality products and services.

If you use that flawed logic, why should you DIY when you could fritter away the bucks by letting a lux car dealer do the work?

The latest BMW M6 Coupe is amazing.

Blistering performance and great refinement.

It makes my old C6 Corvette seem mundane.

Keyboard cowboys? It is a discussion forum, so things get discussed. When you post something, anything, it is subject to everyone's opinion. Sometimes differing opinions are offered, and sometimes the subject changes. It's the nature of the beast. I don't think anyone has become a "Keyboard Cowboy", but a good point is made that if you own and maintain new and/or high end cars, you really shouldn't skimp out on quality products and services.

So if you have a lot? You should spend a lot? I'm sure your gonna be filthy rich soon with that logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back