I'm just a caveman - someone please make recommendations for my new Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the immortal words of Phil Hartman - I'm just a caveman, I don't understand your magical flying machines or picture boxes. I don't understand your cSt, VI, VII, ST/SD, Moly etc... And while I could spend the next week reading all the posts on these forums to figure it out, I'd rather drive wooden spikes under my fingernails... (not that I don't enjoy the forums, I think they're great).

Anyhoo, would some oil guru be kind snough to recommend me oil/filters and air filters that can be obtained easily locally over the counter, so to speak, for my new Accord. The recommendation by the mfgr is 5W20 with 7500 mile change interval. I prefer to stay with paper (non-oiled)air filters. Protection is my number 1 priority and fuel efficiency number 2. Thanks.

[ April 01, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Snatchface ]

Most folks will tell you to change out the oil at 500 miles in a new engine to get out the initial break in crud out of the engine but the other day I read that Honda uses a special oil that should not be changed for the 1st 5,000 miles. I'm sure some experts will sound in soon!

I would recomend synthetic oil if you are going 7500 miles between changes. Mobil 1 is excellent
as well as Amsoil,Royal Purple or a Schaeffers Blend. It seems like 7500 miles is starting to push it as far as most oils are concerned. So use a good one! I use Purolator Premium Plus for oil filter as they have done well in testing on the internet. I use NAPA Gold air filters which are WIX filters and about the best you can
get for most applications.

Thanks TR3, what grade of Amsoil should I use (I presume 5w30) and where is a good place to buy Amsoil? Do they have different blends, and if so which one should I use? Also I was thinking Amsoil/Mobil 1 filter. Any problems with that combo that you can think of?

[ April 01, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Snatchface ]

You can buy Amsoil from one of the site sponsors.

You can use the XL-7500 5W-20 or the 5W-30.

I would stick with the Honda filter or the closest equivalent.

quote:

from ATOT i presume?

you betcha

quote:

You can use the XL-7500 5W-20 or the 5W-30.

what is the difference between the 7500 and their 2000 series. Should I use 5w20 or 5w30? Amsoil claims that the 5w30 is better because of less shear and film, whatever that means (i'm just a caveman). Or should I use the 2000 series 0w30. Money is no object.

Manual specs say 7500 miles for "severe" and 15000miles for "regular" driving.

Myself I use Pennzoil 5W-20 with a Honda Filtech not Fram filter and change every 3K in my 02 Accord. I would definitely not go much past 3K on 5W20 Dino. If you want 7.5K intervals go with synthetic Amsoil or Mobil 1. There are a lot of people that would say go with 5W-30 and not 5W-20, but 5W-20 seems to be holding up well in the UOA'S.

quote:

Originally posted by Snatchface:
In the immortal words of Phil Hartman - I'm just a caveman, I don't understand your magical flying machines or picture boxes. I don't understand your cSt, VI, VII, ST/SD, Moly etc... And while I could spend the next week reading all the posts on these forums to figure it out, I'd rather drive wooden spikes under my fingernails... (not that I don't enjoy the forums, I think they're great).

Anyhoo, would some oil guru be kind snough to recommend me oil/filters and air filters that can be obtained easily locally over the counter, so to speak, for my new Accord. The recommendation by the mfgr is 5W20 with 7500 mile change interval. I prefer to stay with paper (non-oiled)air filters. Protection is my number 1 priority and fuel efficiency number 2. Thanks.

Hi,

My recommendation is Mobil 1 0W-40 or
0W-30 changed every 7,500 miles.

Amsoil is a great oil, but it's more pricey
than Mobil 1 and much more difficult to find.

thanks

Jae

IMO, I'd go with Mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30. They are also bringing out a 0w-20. M1 has shown to be as good as the others (in most cases, not all) and you can find it everywhere. Amsoil is great as well and there 5w-20/30. I'd use 10w-30 in summer 5w-30 in winter. Caveman Laywer was the best....

C'mon Amsoil, start pushing your XL line out to retail markets!!! We'd have another great convienient choice!!!
smile.gif

[ April 01, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I recommend staying away from Honda oil filters available in North America--either you'll get a Fram with crappy cardboard end-caps, or a Filtech with questionable 'fuzzy' media. I've seen this fuzzy media first-hand and I imagine it could do serious engine damage if some fuzz were to dislodge and get stuck in a tiny oil passageway...

See:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

If money's no object and you want the best quality oil filters, use Mobil 1 or Amsoil oil filters.

I'd run Mobil 1, 5w-30 and either the Mobil 1 filter or the Amsoil SDF-20 oil filter, with a 7500 mile/ 6 month change interval. You could also run the Mobil 1, 0w-30, but I've been less impressed with this M1 grade in some applications.

It's the same engine Honda was recommending 5w-30 oils in several years ago ....

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back