I'm installing a transmission cooler...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

...on my Honda Accord to try and extend it's life. I will have to add 4 or 5 feet of hose along with the cooler. This should add approx. a quart to the capacity of the transmission fluid. I'm wondering if the this will affect the pump? In other words will the pump be strong enough to pump the extra distance/amount?

No Problem +1
thumbsup2.gif

Smart move...

I did this on my previous Ford Taurus [with it's transmission that was built with glass and bubble gum].

The transmission in my Malibu is a bit more stout I'm sure. Would I benefit from a cooler on this? And if I do add one, would it void my 5 year powertrain warranty, or would I be fine? I've been wondering about this since I got the car in 10/07 but never thought to ask.

Last edited:
I can't see it voiding your warranty although I would check first.

Every transmission should benefit from an external cooler so long as it fits your application.

The overall question is DO YOU NEED IT? Ideally trans temps of 210* and under are fine. Blindly guessing that your transmission needs an additional cooler is the wrong way to go about doing it. You can overcool a transmission, especially in the winter time. Most trans have to meet certain temp in order to shift into OD or lockup TCC.

I'd say if you're wanting to aid in prolonging the life of the trans, add an additional quart of lubrication by adding an external filter, that is unless you've verified your trans is getting hotter than it should.

I drove around a 95 Buick Roadmaster, with 3.73s and a 3400 9.5" diameter stall torque converter for 3yrs. With the factory intank cooler and factory external cooler, I never saw temperatures over 180* in any kind of driving application (well save for towing). Intank coolers can help regulate the temps when they get pretty hot. Granted I did have a 160* T-stat in the car, coolant temps were always in the 175-185 range.

Put the aftermarket cooler on in series, after the stock radiator cooler.
In winter, block the aftermarket cooler fins , if you wish .
Use 2 clamps on each fitting /connection, oriented 180 apart.

Done - and very good for your car.

The BAXA A/T in my 01' Accord is one of the failure-prone Honda units that can use all the help it can get. I'm now out of warranty (at 8 years and 87K).

Buffman: I understand your concerns but the cooler that I plan to install is 'self-regulating' and thicker (cold) fluid bypasses the unit.

Be alert that your cooler is actually bypassing in cold weather. I have one of the self-regulating coolers on my Buick. In colder weather it takes forever to get the transmission up to 150-160 degrees.

You can buy an external cooler that has a thermostatic control built in and will allow fluid to pass through it at certain temperatures and just bypass the cooler at cooler temperatures.

Best of both worlds!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I installed a ph3600 on one of the lines to filter the oil and also installed an external cooler on a 95 camry le.
It's a TOYO it will last forever anyways.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back