I'm having trouble resisting the urge to change out Mobil 1 at 3,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why resist temptation when you can get a jug of S-T oil and a Chanpion filter at Wal-Mart for $6?????????????

Age old debate...all over again.
grin.gif

If money is not an issue, I'd change it out at 3K mi. anyway. Doesn't hurt a thing and you'll sleep like a baby at night.
wink.gif

Personally, I've never been able to go any longer than 4k mi. (or 4 months) with any oil change, even after switching to synthetics 10 years ago.

Maybe we need to start a Synthetics Anonymous Club--guys who stand up and confess they change it out at 3K regardless of what the UOA's say!
grin.gif

Hi I'm an oilaholic too. Just this week, I changed Mobil1 10w30 out of my 1999 Toyota Sienna with "only" 3000 miles on the oil. Please be kind to me.
smile.gif

To all other oil-aholics: I will not be changing the 15w50 I just changed my Saturn to at 3K. It will have to wait until 6K or until it gets too deep into winter. I guess there is hope for me yet!
grin.gif

Yup, first signs are cruising the oil aisles at Walmart or Autozone wondering which one is next?
Second sign, driving around looking for German Elixir.
Third and most dangerous sign is hiding stash of oil from significant other.
We are doomed!

This may come as a shock to some of you, because I'm not a big fan of 3k oil changes, but my next two intervals with my Firebird will be 3k each.

After much consideration, I've decided to drain out my 5w30 Schaeffer Oil at 3k, and then do a 3k run with 0w30 Castrol Formula SLX. I've just been too curious to see how this oil will work in this car, and the reasoning for such short intervals here is quite simple. I'm running out of time! By the time the end of October hits, our weather will turn sharply colder (especially the overnight temps) so I want to have the chance to see how the German Castrol does in this car under good temperatures. If I don't do it now, I'll have to wait until next year, and my curiosity is killing me!
smile.gif

I will now switch my mom's car over to 5w30 Schaeffer Oil, since I've got almost 19 quarts of it. My sister's car will most likely be sold in a few months, it's almost for sure now that she's moving out to Vancouver, as her fiancee just got an amazing job offer out there that is too good to pass up. So I'll only have one more UOA on 0w30 Castrol from her car. I've still got 12L of the stuff, so I didn't want it to go to waste, so it was either run it in my car or my mom's, and I figure my car needs the thicker oil more than hers does.

My plan is to run 10,000km (6200mi) intervals with the 0w30 (if the UOAs look ok) so things are in line right now since I put in the current batch of oil at 140,000km, and will do those two 5000km intervals in a row.

This in no way means I don't believe Schaeffer Oil is good, just that my LT1 engine could probably use a thicker oil than 10cst at 100c. I feel with it's higher mileage and looser clearances, it needs something closer to 12cst, maybe even thicker (13-14?) to truly protect it under the hard use I put it under. I sure wish Schaeffer Oil would come out with a 5w40 oil, something on the thinner side of a 40wt preferably.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
Yup, first signs are cruising the oil aisles at Walmart or Autozone wondering which one is next?
Second sign, driving around looking for German Elixir.
Third and most dangerous sign is hiding stash of oil from significant other.
We are doomed!

DOH! I'm guilty of all three! I constantly look up and down the aisles of Walmart and CT to see if something new pops up.

And I've driven all over the GTA looking for 0w30 Castrol in the past.

And I've got two cases of oil hidden in my oil shrine so my wife doesn't notice the fact that I'm currently holding onto over 60 quarts of oil!

Guilty as charged on two out of three counts...I can't help it that my favorite Autozone (and the one which carries German Castrol in the largest quantities) is on the opposite side of town from me...at least I get to look at the Front Range of the Rockies while I am heading over...by the way, when you walk to the counter with every bit of German Castrol they have, do you ever feel like the store staff are talking about you behind your back?
grin.gif
...I'm not paranoid, you understand....

PS You know, with 9 ppm iron per bottle that stuff gets HEAVY!!

[ August 03, 2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Oh Patman! Over 60 quarts of oil and you're hiding some of them from your wife! I think it's time for....Hi, my name is Patman and I'm an oilholic....
grin.gif
But I'm afraid it's going to be more than a 12 step program for you!
lol.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
But I'm not gonna drain it out!!! No way! It's so hard to resist the marketing hype of the 3,000 mile oil change that has been pounded into your head. However, this board has shown me the light! Thanks folks!

Just get over it. The 3K oil change is just plain wasteful IMHO . But that's another debate
grin.gif

There are some on this board that change frequently just to get an oil analysis (like Patman
rolleyes.gif
) I am no longer curious-I'm just plan lazy-7-8 K miles works for me.

I never did the 3000 mile changes. I used to do what was recommended under the severe service interval and that has been 3750 miles from 1980 to 1990. I switched to synthetic in 1990 on my wifes 1990 accord lx and went 7500 miles between oil changes. Once went 10,000 miles because of a move across country. All on Mobil 1. Then in 1993 I rediscovered Amsoil and put a bypass on my 92 toyota and started doing 25,000 mile changes regardless of time. truck is now at 110,000 under the valve cover is nice and clean. I ran 2 Land Rover Discoveries 97,98 on Mobil 1 while I was leasing them over 3, 3.5 years. I did amsoil synthetic front to rear on one and it got 18.5 mpg highway compared to 16.5 for the other running dino in the powertrain. It also had a K&N, jacobs wires, Beru silver core plugs. It went from 16.5 to 17.8 mpg with just the synthetic in the axles, tranny, and engine. Wifes car is a Excursion diesel and it is getting filter changes at 10k and oil at 20k using 15w40 amsoil. I ordered 20 qts atf for the tranny. It picked up 11% highway and 8% city mpg when I switched over to amsoil series 2k 75w90 in the rear and frt diffs. I attribute this to the drop in viscocity from 140 to 90 weight in the rear diff. Previous 140w being Ford synthetic factory fill.

I can't see myself crawing under my trucks more than once a year.

I changed out my Mobil One 10W30 break-in oil at 1000 miles. Volvo says 5,000 mile oil changes. I'll run the next change through the lab and see what comes up. Yeh it is hard to break old habits.
Since 1981 I have been changing my (Dino) oil at 3000 miles religiously.
cheers.gif
Now since I have seen the light on this board. I guess I'll have to follow the manufactures 5,000 miles oil change interval.

...0w30 Castrol from her car. I've still got 12L of the stuff, so I didn't want it to go to waste

Go to waste?

Uh, yeah, sure.

To those of you who are convinced that its ok to go 10000 miles or more on synthetic I've got a couple of dozen quarts of mobil1 with only 4000 miles on it that I'd be happy to sell you for a buck a quart. It's even back in its original bottles.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Hi I'm an oilaholic too. Just this week, I changed Mobil1 10w30 out of my 1999 Toyota Sienna with "only" 3000 miles on the oil. Please be kind to me.
smile.gif

To all other oil-aholics: I will not be changing the 15w50 I just changed my Saturn to at 3K. It will have to wait until 6K or until it gets too deep into winter. I guess there is hope for me yet!
grin.gif

Well, I used to be a "normal" person.....I enjoyed changing my oil, but I have never been so "crazy" about oils in my life. My friends tell me I have an "oil fettish" and they make fun of me all the time now. Synthetic.....Dinop....Supertech......Supersyn....I wanna try this other oil......I can't sleep!!

****n this site
crushedcar.gif
fruit.gif
worshippy.gif
patriot.gif

Rick
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back