I'm having trouble resisting the urge to change out Mobil 1 at 3,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to say this but I am glad there are so many people with the same problem as me. It is very hard for me to go beyond 3000 miles on an oil change, regardless of what motor oil I use. It was drilled into me so much that oil had to be changed every 3000 miles that I can't help myself. I think the most I ever went on one oil change was something like 3200-3300 miles. I become extremely nervous whenever I go beyond 3000 miles on an oil change. Some of the mechanics I know will not go more than 2000 miles on an oil change.

Maybe I should just use conventional oil since it seems like it is impossible for me to change. If I do go back to conventional oil I will probably use Chevron Supreme.

I also have been trying to find a low cost synthetic that may be good. Apparently Chevron 5W-40 synthetic is only about $3.50 at AutoZone Stores. At that price it would be easier to change the oil at 3000-4000 miles.

Perhaps we should take some kind of a poll and see how often people at this web site change their oil, and what kind of oil they use.

Rick...RicK...RICK!!!!

Just calm down...it's OK...we...well, some of us...understand...just put a few drops of your favorite oil in your coffee in the morning and it will get you through (most of) the day...adding a different oil each morning is even more effective...now see...isn't that better?
grin.gif

When you stop to think about it, if you do your own oil changes you can change the oil using Chevron Supreme (a good conventional oil) and a new oil filter for something like 10 bucks. Four oil changes a year is 40 bucks and mighty cheap insurance. Compared to other costs for the vehicle that is like pocket change.

Add a little Auto-RX and you help to insure that the engine stays clean and the oil can do its job.

Heck, even using Mobil 1 you can do four oil changes a year for 100 bucks and the cost of the oil filters. Still pocket change compared to other costs for the vehicle.

But I'm not gonna drain it out!!! No way! It's so hard to resist the marketing hype of the 3,000 mile oil change that has been pounded into your head. However, this board has shown me the light! Thanks folks!

I currently have aprox. 3,000 miles on Mobil 1 5W30 in my 94 Honda Accord EX (aprox. 94K on the car). I don't want the added cost of oil analysis so I'm going to change out my Mobil 1 at 5-6K intervals.

I'm about to put aprox. 2,000 highway miles on my Accord with a trip from Grand Forks to Minneapolis. Then from Minneapolis up to Winnipeg and back to Minneapolis. And once again back up to Grand Forks.

It's reassuring to know I have the protection of Mobil 1 that will easily protect to 5-6K intervals with no problem.

When I started using Amsoil 0ver 10 years ago I didn't believe the hype (doesn't mean I beleive it now either) so went with 3000 mile changes and oil analysis.After about 3 years I began to increase the intervals and go by how the engine treats the oil and driving conditions. As I service 5 family cars the 3000 mile change interval was, perhaps, easier to discard. So, two are now done once a year, one is at 12,000 miles, one 7500 and the other, well, now in flux due to high wear numbers and possible coolant contamination so it will be 3-5000 for at least a year.

However, like cigarette smoking, the urge to change at 3000 never goes away, sometimes the patch works (change the filter) and it is a constant battle. Need more hobbies.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Rick...RicK...RICK!!!!

Just calm down...it's OK...we...well, some of us...understand...just put a few drops of your favorite oil in your coffee in the morning and it will get you through (most of) the day...adding a different oil each morning is even more effective...now see...isn't that better?
grin.gif

But wait.....OMG....I just got my ARX.....WHAT AM I GOING TO DO.....WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???!?!!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe make a peanut butter and jelly and Auto-RX sandwich.

boooooo00000000OOOOOOOooo!!!

Anyway.....yeah.....I try to do mine every 4000 in my Z and 5000 on my wife's Corolla.
The Z just broke 7000 miles, that is 7k.....and I have already done "4" oil changes and 3 air filters.
I think I might have a problem!
dunno.gif

Rick

I'm starting to worry that the people at Walmart and Autozone might recognize me coming in there every so often to admire the oil selection. I even dragged my wife out of the baby clothes section to show her the newly-arrived Chevron Supreme in the nice blue bottles. What the H#*% is wrong with this picture
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Hi I'm an oilaholic too. Just this week, I changed Mobil1 10w30 out of my 1999 Toyota Sienna with "only" 3000 miles on the oil. Please be kind to me.
smile.gif
grin.gif

ToyotaNSaturn,
I am also in a similar situation except I have the german syntec in my 2004 Sienna. Although I'm a little bit over the 3k mile mark at 3,400 I'm still going to drain it at around 4k and send a sample to Blackstone for a UOA. If they say it's ok to go beyond up to 5k then I'll have to locate some more syntec and use it.
grin.gif
I've put a lot of miles in that Sienna in the first 4 months of driving it (9,400). I'll probably drain out the german syntec and go dino with auto rx treatment for 750 miles and then hopefully it's back to the german stuff or to mobil 1 if it's not available.
smile.gif

I am really curious how Patman's poll turns out. So far it looks like quite a few people who come to this web site change oil every 3000 miles or three months.

I think this is one of the most important discussions ever to take place here. It gets into an awful lot of different issues.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I am really curious how Patman's poll turns out. So far it looks like quite a few people who come to this web site change oil every 3000 miles or three months.I think this is one of the most important discussions ever to take place here. It gets into an awful lot of different issues.

I concur. What this shows is that even though there are countless UOA on this site that prove mildly extend drains up to 7500 are easily obtainable and beyond is quite feasible most people are not willing to take the plunge or are psychologically tied to the Penzoil marketing of 3000 miles even if the warranty permits it. Maybe not enough 200,000 mile engines with 7500 mile OCI out there.

It really is amazing if the poll turns out that way.

[ August 05, 2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

See Patman, I told you you change oil brands like the wind. I thought you loved moly so much?

quote:

To those of you who are convinced that its ok to go 10000 miles or more on synthetic I've got a couple of dozen quarts of mobil1 with only 4000 miles on it that I'd be happy to sell you for a buck a quart. It's even back in its original bottles.

Lots of people take the 3k-5k old PAO synthetic out of their "baby" and put it in their beater for another 3k.

If I still had my beater '74 Dodge, I'd do it too.

Cheers, 3MP

quote:

Originally posted by slickracer:
See Patman, I told you you change oil brands like the wind. I thought you loved moly so much?

I've also seen good results with many oils without Moly too, like Amsoil.

And I don't change oils like the wind, I've used nothing but Schaeffer Oil in my Firebird for the last 5 intervals. Sure I talk a lot about different oil ideas I want to try though, so it does sound like I'm changing brands more often than what is really happening.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
I even dragged my wife out of the baby clothes section to show her the newly-arrived Chevron Supreme in the nice blue bottles.

newly arrived...blue bottles...must have been little boy Chevrons, huh?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by slickracer:

I've also seen good results with many oils without Moly too, like Amsoil.

And I don't change oils like the wind, I've used nothing but Schaeffer Oil in my Firebird for the last 5 intervals. Sure I talk a lot about different oil ideas I want to try though, so it does sound like I'm changing brands more often than what is really happening.

Patman,

You don't have to hide it...you're among friends...we understand...admit it, even IF you REALLY did have Schaeffer's in for the last five intervals, there were times you were pretending it was German Castrol or Elf or Aral or...come on, you were weren't you...it's OK...we do understand!!!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back