I'm gonna try this again... 1 qt M1 10w-30 (non EP) to 3 qts Supertech 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rethinking my approach to my oil changes with a '99 Subaru Forester (2.5L N/A Boxer) and have a question to ask the gurus...

I was wondering what the overall result would be by mixing 1 qt of M1 SM syn 10W-30 (non EP) with 3 qts of Supertech SM dino 10W-30

1) Will I fortify the dino by adding 25% synthetic base stocks?
dunno.gif

2) The bottle of M1 states that it is fully compatible with other syns or dino...is this truly true or just a marketing gimick?
dunno.gif

3) Am I wasting my money and overthinking this?
dunno.gif

4) What major brand is a true synthetic blend that includes synthetic base stocks and not just synthetic additives?
dunno.gif

Oh no...my brain just exploded from too many questions...
gr_eek2.gif

Truly I say thank you.
worshippy.gif
bowdown.gif

1. You'll probably not achieve anything that the dino alone wouldn't achieve.
2. I'm sure it will be compatible.
3. Yes and yes.
4. Amsoil for one.

Subaru engines are generally very easy on oil and a dino will go a long way. If you're tight for cash then there is no reason to add the Mobil to the mix. Put the Supertech in and run it for 4-6K miles and be happy.

If you want to really rest easy invest in a UOA kit and do a UOA on your current oil-older Subies are known for head gasket leaks and it would be prudent to know if yours is one.

For almost the same price as your intended mix you could buy a 5 qt jug of ST synthetic. It's a GRP-III oil but for the price it's hard to beat, because word is it has a pretty good add pack. They have the 5w-30 "newer engine formula" and a 10w-30 "higher mileage formula". Both are about 12 bucks a jug...
cheers.gif

I can see doing this if you have leftover oils, but it sounds like you want to purchase this odd blend.

I guess my next question is... WHY?

For roughly the same money, why not just purchase four quarts of Motorcraft syn-blend?

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
For almost the same price as your intended mix you could buy a 5 qt jug of ST synthetic. It's a GRP-III oil but for the price it's hard to beat, because word is it has a pretty good add pack. They have the 5w-30 "newer engine formula" and a 10w-30 "higher mileage formula". Both are about 12 bucks a jug...
cheers.gif

I agree with bighead and triple_seven, get something that is what you want straight out of the bottle. I have used the ST synthetic ($12 for a 5 quart jug) and it took my 92 Cavalier to 172k before I gave it to my brother and he is still driving it with 200k+. The Motorcraft get's very good raves here and seems like a great deal for $10 per 5 quart jug. Or if you want a decent blend on a budget, TropArtic is still only $1.48 a quart and is rumored to be the same oil as Motorcraft. I have used it and liked it very well in my wife's PT Cruiser. Lastly, you may want to consider Mobil 7500 as I believe it was posted that it is a Mobil synth blend, so you would have some ExxonMobil Superflow with a little Mobil 1 synth already premixed. I know Wally World closed it out, but I don't know if some of the auto shops still carry it or how much it is.

Mixing is an interesting pastime, but I always like to get something that I can just pour in and know that the mix was already tested by someone wiser than I when it comes to the chemical properties of the oil blend. Just my $.02....

I don't think you can beat MC or tropartic price or performance with your proposed mix.

I don't think it will even out price or perform just using havoline from WM.

Thanks all...sounds like I was inventing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I was resurrecting a trick I used in the late 80's and early 90's when synthetic blends weren't around yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back