I'm gonna do it! 10,000 mile oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen, I've come to the conclusion I don't like crawling around under my truck any more. Especially during the winter months in Michigan, no heat in the garage! As such, I'm upgrading to a quality synthetic oil and filter in the Dodge. It is aging very gracefully with 77,000 miles and absolutely no rust. My question is, would the Dodge be better served by using Mobil 1, or the extended protection flavor? Pennzoil Platinum is certainly worth consideration, but the Ultra isn't available locally. It is my intent to use either a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra oil filter. Another thing to consider is the fact I drive a whopping 4.5 miles to work, 1 way. The truck does do a lot of short tripping (1-3 miles). Maybe a 10,000 mile oci isn't a good idea under these driving conditions? One last thought. I HATE spending money on new, over priced trucks! This little guy should hopefully run at least 4 more years. I solicit your thoughts and comments.

Last edited:
Short trips you say, 10,000 miles OCI you say? If it were my car I would do a 6 month OCI, one year FCI. If you are dead set on going 10K use M1 EP and a Fram Ultra. Make sure it gets fully warmed up every now and then. Then do a UOA at the end of the run to see how things held up.

I'd run the M1 EP variant with your intended use and make sure you take a longer trip at least once or twice a month to clear out any water or unburned fuel from your engine. For peace of mind you might want to run a UOA (with TBN) at 9-10K to determine your oil's condition.

Meijer usually runs a $10 off $25 coupon near black friday so you could pick up the M1 EP rather cheaply.

Last edited:
6mo OCI, 12mo FCI. That's me though......+1 on Mobil1 EP. Royal Purple or FRAM Ultra oil filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Short trips you say, 10,000 miles OCI you say? If it were my car I would do a 6 month OCI, one year FCI. If you are dead set on going 10K use M1 EP and a Fram Ultra. Make sure it gets fully warmed up every now and then. Then do a UOA at the end of the run to see how things held up.

I never,ever agree with you but I'll admit I think you have a point here using EP for 10000 miles.
It's only a few bucks more and considering the short tripping the higher poa content will be of some benefit.

Im not so sure about the idea.
The Engines mother made during this time was sturdy pieces but
not designed for long oci´s with their relatively small sumps.
Id shoot for a more reasonable 7500 oci and hdeo.

Just curious but how old are you and what made you hate getting under the truck?

I had somebody tell me not too long ago that one day I would hate it and would pay some Jiffy Lube dudes to do it for me.

I was wondering at what age we start hating to crawl under the vehicle.

You could avoid winter changes by doing it once a year in summer with the Mobil1 EP and a Fram ultra filter. Just a thought

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Just curious but how old are you and what made you hate getting under the truck?

I had somebody tell me not too long ago that one day I would hate it and would pay some Jiffy Lube dudes to do it for me.

I was wondering at what age we start hating to crawl under the vehicle.

You could avoid winter changes by doing it once a year in summer with the Mobil1 EP and a Fram ultra filter. Just a thought

Who cares why. The man just doesn't like crawling under his truck, for whatever reason.

I would agree with the other's that have chimed in with Mobil1 EP. I would also throw in Castrol Edge EP with its very high 11 tbn number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HM12460
Gentlemen, I've come to the conclusion I don't like crawling around under my truck any more. Especially during the winter months in Michigan, no heat in the garage! As such, I'm upgrading to a quality synthetic oil and filter in the Dodge. It is aging very gracefully with 77,000 miles and absolutely no rust. My question is, would the Dodge be better served by using Mobil 1, or the extended protection flavor? Pennzoil Platinum is certainly worth consideration, but the Ultra isn't available locally. It is my intent to use either a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra oil filter. Another thing to consider is the fact I drive a whopping 4.5 miles to work, 1 way. The truck does do a lot of short tripping (1-3 miles). Maybe a 10,000 mile oci isn't a good idea under these driving conditions? One last thought. I HATE spending money on new, over priced trucks! This little guy should hopefully run at least 4 more years. I solicit your thoughts and comments.

Reread your post there are several reasons not do extended OCIs.

By the way what does the OEM manual recommend for your short tripped driving conditions.

Ar_tc hit the nail on the head when saying your truck has a small sump. The key factor often neglected on this site when it comes to extending OCIs.

In OZ every instance where Holden Toyota Ford etc extended the OCI the sump capacity was also increased proportionally, have not ever read where an OEM extended the OCI by switching to full syn oils whilst maintaining the original sump size.

As far as crawling under a truck to change oil perhaps you are spending too time much ????? and have gone soft. Time to toughen up dear friend.

Criteria for low risk decision making
1. OEM manual check extreme conditions apply
2. BITOG should be confirming OEM guide not contradicting if not check credibility of advice rendered
3. Use an approved / certified OEM engine oil if available
4. If routine todate has worked and vehicle is in condition why fix what is not broke
5. Oil changes are cheap new trucks or engine rebuilds are expensive

Last edited:
Use the M1 EP - 10,000 miles is no big deal. Keep it topped off. Ignore Greg, he'd change his oil every month with a little encouragement.

In your situation, I like changing the oil twice a year...once in the fall and once in the spring. You'll be out under your vehicle during the nice weather and it's still only twice a year. Use a decent oil and a quality filter and change it twice a year regardless of miles. You'll never have to worry if you're going too long on the oil, and you'll never have to be out in your garage when it's 0 deg F outside.

Im presently doing 5 mile trips also, I do a spring and fall change generally and avoid the cold time labor. But if switching to synthetic, just watch for leaks developing.

My Colorado, many years ago I went to mobil 1 and my wifes rav4 went to Mobil1 hm, both developed valve cover leaks shortly after. I stopped using it in both, the Colorado recovered nicely, the Rav 4 slowed to a non issue, no oil ever hit the ground.

I just run basic oil, like regular mobil, its cheap and seems to do very well, without side effects.

Originally Posted By: HM12460

Need to know the total miles you drive in one year before making recommendation.

Your truck is 12 years old and has 77,000 miles on it. That's only 6400 miles per year. How about an annual oil change in October with M1 EP and a Fram Ultra filter? That should more than cover it.

But do go for a nice, long highway cruise every couple of weeks to thoroughly exercise the mechanicals. It's therapeutic for both man and machine.

Last edited:
u can use any quality syn oil and any quality oil filter for your application. I use Supertech 10w30 and oem delco filter in my corvette, drive less than 5k miles per year and it's fine.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Your truck is 12 years old and has 77,000 miles on it. That's only 6400 miles per year. How about an annual oil change in October with M1 EP and a Fram Ultra filter? That should more than cover it.

But do go for a nice, long highway cruise every couple of weeks to thoroughly exercise the mechanicals. It's therapeutic for both man and machine.

Same thing but I will do it in September (better weather).
Do check the oil level in spring when you change the winter tires to summer ones. You can do also a UOA in spring or after a year to see how the oil/truck combo handles the interval.

No need to do a long highway cruise, you can do an italian tune-up as Shannow explained in another thread (holding a lower gear to get high rpms), that will get you oil temperature high fast.

Answering toyendoc's question about when you think about having maintenance done instead of doing it yourself.In my case, it came when I developed shingles that left me with a severe case of PHN( permanently damaged nerves) that can cause pain so severe that I pass out. I still do my own oil changes but have to be very careful not to the let the the pain progress too far. Here is some of the best advice you will ever get. Get a shingles vaccination no matter what the cost. You don't want to have permanently damaged nerves.That can change your entire outlook on life and limit what you can do. Regards

Since you want to jump to 10k OCI's and apparently do not plan to do a UOA to see if it is viable, I would strongly suggest you use either the Mobil 1 EP or Castrol's Gold bottle Extended synthetic.

Both are rated for up to 15k OCI's and would therefore be good candidates for a 10k OCI without a UOA. JMO.

I agree that Castrol Edge Titanium would be a good choice.

And don't forget the Euro LL-01 motor oils and their robust 15,000 mile add packages.

GC might just be the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back