I'm going to try Lubro Moly MOS2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has a 2003 (I think that year) Mercury Grand Marquis.

She has a 1.5 mile drive to work. So she does two trips a day, never getting the engine anywhere near operating temp.

She does put on about 25-30 miles during the weekends but still, not much.

So I'm thinking the MOS2 will offer a great level of startup protection.

Gonna throw a bottle in this weekend.

I use it in every motor I own. From gas powered air compressors to generators and everything in between.
Every engine I have used it in has gotten better mileage or the run time per tank is extended. For example my 99 chev 4x4 has a 100 liter tank. With mos2 in the crankcase I get at least an extra km per liter which is significant because that truck always got 450kms per full tank,always,since I bought it. Start up noise was also reduced.
My mustang would routinely get 500kms per tank,with mos2 in the oil that got up to 580kms.
The stuff works. I'd would add it to new or fairly new oil so you can maximize it's length of time in the crankcase.
Update us if you realize any benefits.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I WOULD AVOID ANY ADDITIVES.

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate on that thought?

I believe in it.Changed the oil in 2 vehicles lately,and didnt use LM,and I have noticed a MPG downgrade.It was steady for months and months.Basically I forgot to add it in.Guess I will have to do that.(van 22 down to 20 mpg with no other changes).

The only time to use an oil additive is if you have a specific problem that can't be fixed, like cam shaft seal leaks with an old car. If Moly was a good idea every oil would include it, but only some do as there are other additives that work just as well and don't risk causing sludge or fouling the CAT. Most of the oils produced by Liqui Moly themselves don't include Moly. Engine snake oil upsets the balance and effect of the oils additives and can stop some of them from functioning.
If you want to improve cold start protection check to see if an 0/something oil is approved as the lower W rating will help. If you want to help your engine, try to make sure it gets a good run on the highway at least every month to clean out the cylinders and get rid of any fuel contamination in the oil.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I believe in it.Changed the oil in 2 vehicles lately,and didnt use LM,and I have noticed a MPG downgrade.It was steady for months and months.Basically I forgot to add it in.Guess I will have to do that.(van 22 down to 20 mpg with no other changes).

Im sold on it. I used it in my mustang for about 40000kms and I pulled the engine last month and pulled the heads off,timing cover etc and there was Bo sludge whatsoever. So I'm satisfied that it doesn't sludge in my application,and like I said,every motor I put it in sees a benefit with reduced fuel consumption. Every single one. I couldn't care less what someone,who likely has never used the product,warns against. Experience beats assumptions every day of the week in my world.
Op. Ignore the naysayers,especially the ones who have never used it. They cannot comment on what they have no experience with. Narrow minds never evolve. They stay in the same place,never moving forward,stuck in the rut they are cursed with because they have no interest in progress.
Just my opinion,and experience with this particular product. I have read many threads on this product and I vaguely recall maybe a handful of posters who didn't experience a fuel economy increase however I recall a few comments on it being drained rather soon,less than 500 miles or so. So that's the exception,not the rule.

Originally Posted By: skyship
The only time to use an oil additive is if you have a specific problem that can't be fixed, like cam shaft seal leaks with an old car. If Moly was a good idea every oil would include it, but only some do as there are other additives that work just as well and don't risk causing sludge or fouling the CAT. Most of the oils produced by Liqui Moly themselves don't include Moly. Engine snake oil upsets the balance and effect of the oils additives and can stop some of them from functioning.
If you want to improve cold start protection check to see if an 0/something oil is approved as the lower W rating will help. If you want to help your engine, try to make sure it gets a good run on the highway at least every month to clean out the cylinders and get rid of any fuel contamination in the oil.

I'm the first one to say additives are not needed for people.

But this is a specific case where it may help.

As for your claims: there is zero evidence of MOS2 causing sludge or fouling the cat.

Engine oil already has an additive pack - created by brilliant, well paid people in big labs. The most likely result of a foreign additive is to screw that up so it can't work properly any more - by unbalancing their careful work.

Too much Moly in an oil makes it corrosive as it reacts with Copper and with some oils it interferes with the additives to such an extent that the Calcium based detergents stop working and that can cause a risk of sludge or varnish.

Oil companies do know what they are doing with their additives and if you want an oil high in Moly, Liqui Moly do make one and it will have been thouroughly tested for adverse reactions, unlike the cans of snake oil.

If you really must play with additives the best idea is to use Liqui Moly additives AND an LM oil, as there is a lot less chance of an adverse reaction as they test all their additives with their own oils. Oddly enough the LM fans are keener on Ceretec than Moly these days, although to confuse the issue Ceretec does contain some some Moly.

Last edited:
Engine oil already has an additive pack - created by brilliant, well paid people in big labs. The most likely result of a foreign additive is to screw that up so it can't work properly any more - by unbalancing their careful work.

Too much Moly in an oil makes it corrosive as it reacts with Copper and with some oils it interferes with the additives to such an extent that the Calcium based detergents stop working and that can cause a risk of sludge or varnish.

Oil companies do know what they are doing with their additives and if you want an oil high in Moly, Liqui Moly do make one and it will have been thouroughly tested for adverse reactions, unlike the cans of snake oil.

If you really must play with additives the best idea is to use Liqui Moly additives AND an LM oil, as there is a lot less chance of an adverse reaction as they test all their additives with their own oils. Oddly enough the LM fans are keener on Ceretec than Moly these days, although to confuse the issue Ceretec does contain some some Moly.

Moly is NOT corrosive to copper. Your basing your opinions on Internet myth.

In order for moly to become corrosive it needs to go through a chemical reaction and oxidize. In order for it to oxidize, it has to be exposed to prolonged heat in excess of 350 degrees Celsius. And if your engine ever hits that temp, oxidizing moly is your last concern!!!!

MoS2 is not an oil quality improver. It uses engine oil as a carrier to plate the moly on the engine's internal surfaces, thereby reducing friction. If you let the car sit for a couple of days and check your oil, you will notice much of the greyish tint will be gone on the dipstick. It does not alter the makeup of the oil it's mixed into.

To the OP, I've used MoS2 in my 4.6 for over 35,000 miles at each and every oil change. The 4.6 loves the stuff.

Then go get motor oil without any [impossible].

Note that all motor oils are not identical concerning additives, either.

BTW, Lubro Moly not only has MoS2, but loads of Boron - it is great stuff.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
MoS2 is not an oil quality improver. It uses engine oil as a carrier to plate the moly on the engine's internal surfaces, thereby reducing friction. If you let the car sit for a couple of days and check your oil, you will notice much of the greyish tint will be gone on the dipstick. It does not alter the makeup of the oil it's mixed into.

To the OP, I've used MoS2 in my 4.6 for over 35,000 miles at each and every oil change. The 4.6 loves the stuff.

Well put.

And thanks for the input! It is going into a 4.6.

I have done extensive research on the stuff. While I personally do not feel my car "needs" it, I may try it out after my 5 year power train warranty is well passed.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Then go get motor oil without any [impossible].
Note that all motor oils are not identical concerning additives, either.
BTW, Lubro Moly not only has MoS2, but loads of Boron - it is great stuff.

I use Liqui Moly (Lubro Moly in the US) engine oils and have looked at the data sheets and even done a VOA on one of them and I can assure you most of their oils don't contain Moly. Moly is used where the Zinc content has had to be reduced due to emissions standards although LM does not use it in their more expensive full synthetics.
The big problem apart from upsetting the balance of the additives already in the oil is that there are several different types of Moly in use and some even contain corrosion inhibitors to offset one side effect of its use and there is a big difference in how effective each type of Moly is and in the possible side effects. The only company I trust in oil additive terms is Liqui Moly themselves, as they test their products very thouroughly.

A lot of you seem to be basing decisions on opinions rather than facts based on averaged out UOA results comparing the use of a good quality oil with the same oil plus with a can of extra Moly and although it does seems to reduce engine wear if added to some cheap supermarket brand oil that lacked additives in the first place, no one has demonstrated any effect in comparison with a good quality normal oil.
If it worked I can assure you it would be used in every major brand engine oil, rather than those that have low Zinc contents or are designed as break in oils and the folks saying it improved their engines performance are right in some cases, because the oil they added it to was a cheap one that lacked both Zinc and Moly. If they had simply tried a better oil they would have noticed a similar improvement.

Last edited:
...the folks saying it improved their engines performance are right in some cases, because the oil they added it to was a cheap one that lacked both Zinc and Moly. If they had simply tried a better oil they would have noticed a similar improvement.

Wouldn't really say Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 and PAO based Mobil 1 0W-40 are cheap oils lacking zinc TBH.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
...the folks saying it improved their engines performance are right in some cases, because the oil they added it to was a cheap one that lacked both Zinc and Moly. If they had simply tried a better oil they would have noticed a similar improvement.

Wouldn't really say Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 and PAO based Mobil 1 0W-40 are cheap oils lacking zinc TBH.

I use Synthoil High Tech 5-40 which is one of LM's most expensive oils and it does not contain any Moly. Not sure about the exact contents of Mobil 0-40 as it is too expensive to consider in Germany.
I would be very interested if anyone has a series of UOA results showing an improvement from adding a can of Moly to them.

Use it in my Jeep, 2 OCI's now about to start a 3rd, very happy with it, definitely makes it quieter haven't noticed any mileage difference but haven't done any serious checking either.

Have not noticed any reduction in noise at cold start up though.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Use it in my Jeep, 2 OCI's now about to start a 3rd, very happy with it, definitely makes it quieter haven't noticed any mileage difference but haven't done any serious checking either.

Adding oil thickners like the infamous STP will reduce engine noise, BUT that does not mean it is good for the engine. Noises after a cold start are more interesting as they can be caused by a lack of lubrication.
The only way to find out is to do a few before and after UOA's, which if you are using a cheap oil could well show an improvement.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Adding oil thickners like the infamous STP will reduce engine noise, BUT that does not mean it is good for the engine. Noises after a cold start are more interesting as they can be caused by a lack of lubrication.
The only way to find out is to do a few before and after UOA's, which if you are using a cheap oil could well show an improvement.

MOS2 is not an oil thickener.

There are quite a few before and after UOA's out there. If you want the info, they are not hard to find on this very forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back