Im getting scared....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my blackstone labs UOA kit for my 2008 silverado (6.0 V8) which I tow VERY hard with, and just plain drive hard...and I have also altered with an aftermarket computer tuner, and I am contemplating running a UOA now with almost 4,000 miles, and 50% oil life left on the OLM on pennzoil platinum 5w30 since the 3,000 mile mark, and short drain intervals due to break-in wear.....should I push this oil farther?? This last fill was this year with 26,911 miles on her, and I now have 30820. I am not gonna be sampling every oil change due to money issues,....I just want to know roughly how long I can run this oil? I dont want copper issues, and these engines have copper issues during break-in. Should I keep going?? ...or sample now??

Well, I would factor in what your OCI is going to be going forward.

So if you'll be doing 6,000 mile OCI's on PP for a while since it's moderately new, wait until 6,000 miles.

You can run PP 8,000 miles with confidence.

If it was me? I would wait at least 1,000 miles more to do the UOA.

do it... a UOA costs what? Less than a tank of fuel... Start getting data, even if there are slight flaws in it. This will help to give you peace of mind and insight into your engine...

A few UOA's now is a lot cheaper than an engine later!
wink.gif

I run my 02 V6 Accord 6mos or 5k on PP 5-20 towing a small bass boat. No Uoa,no oil usage. That's just me.

I love that one! So true.

Anything other than UOA is just a guess. Motors cost too much to guess.

We raise and kill more 6.0 GMC's than almost anyone and use the OLM setup exclusively now. It works very well.

I believe you are worrying too much. I am going on 160,000+ miles now on my 01 6.0 that I tow with every other day. The LS engines are tough. And also I have had mined tuned for almost 100,000 miles now. OLM all the way for me.

So did you do like a handheld tuner or a PCM tune?

I just inherited servicing rights for my wife's company '06 Silverado 2500HDs. Mostly around town driving with relatively moderate loads and light trailer.
One has about 100k miles, the other 90k. Both have been previously serviced by oil change places using their standard conventional oil, using the OLM (I'm not sure how long after the OLM went off, but certainly not before).
Now, I'm kinda old school. I almost had a brain anurism extending my LS1 OCI from 3k to 4K miles using German Castrol. However these trucks, while not being abused, but not having the tender care I like to give, sound great. Neither require added oil with an OCI of around 9k miles (estimate).

I've switched to PP. If the conventional bulk oil works well enough for an OLM-based OCI, then PP should be overkill. I intend to burn a sample after the next change to make sure, but I won't be losing any sleep in the meantime.

Would either Ric or Ponch private message me about the benefits of a tune on these trucks?

Originally Posted By: Ponch
I am using a hand held tuner. (Diablosport)

Good choice, Diablo is about the most agressive handheld I have used. But safe agressive that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back