I'm getting +3.1 mpg increase with Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first tank of gas using 15w40 Royal Purple from previous 15w40 Delo 400, I got an increase of 3.1 mpg. This is a 21% increase in gas mileage for me. My normal 15 mpg for my current tank driving condifions went up to 18.1 mpg. So I saved $4.00 this fill up.
I know a lot of you not going to believe me, but this I have seen with my own eyes today! I actually questioned the mark on my gas gage because it was so much higher than what it should have been for the city/highway mileage I had.

Leo

Well, that's not bad news.
fruit.gif

rolleyes.gif
While I will be happy for you if it is true, I would take an average over a few months before getting too excited. There are many factors effecting fuel ecomony (excluding driving habits) like (1) angle of the truck when you filled up both times (2) volume of flow throught the gas nozzle when you filled up both times, etc. Try to keep as many factors constant as you can. Good luck and congratulations.

[ January 19, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: ryansride2017 ]

Leo, first, why didn't you merely post this in your original thread?
confused.gif

Thousands of threads with just a handful of posts in each make for a messy board.

Second: mileage varies from tank to tank and should be tracked and averaged over several tanks. Then averages can be compared with each other ... assuming all other variables are the same ... and they usually aren't. Real world conditions make for slopy testing.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Congratulations! Now turn around and go back uphill... (Just kidding)
grin.gif

Believe it or not I'm also increasing mpg going downhill. Because there is less friction in my engine, it's coasting faster and takes longer to stop. So I don't have to get back on the gas so soon. It's also saving gas at idle, and uses much less throttle now for a given engine load as compared to dino. This is not hype, but my first hand result now!

Leo

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Leo, first, why didn't you merely post this in your original thread?
confused.gif

Thousands of threads with just a handful of posts in each make for a messy board.

Second: mileage varies from tank to tank and should be tracked and averaged over several tanks. Then averages can be compared with each other ... assuming all other variables are the same ... and they usually aren't. Real world conditions make for slopy testing.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

My other thread was for the power increase. This is mileage increase. Given the current high price for gas, this information could save someone money. And as you can tell I'm very excited about saving some money at the pump.
smile.gif

My car is such a gas hog (427 cubic inch V8), there is no mistake in the increase.

Leo

I keep very detailed records of the MPG in both of my cars, and after switching to Royal Purple in my wife's Honda there has been virtually no change whatsoever in MPG compared to Mobil 1. I didn't expect to see any mileage increase, as in all the years of driving I've never seen any of my cars MPG go up after switching to a different oil. Even from dino to synth.

[ January 20, 2003, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I keep very detailed records of the MPG in both of my cars, and after switching to Royal Purple in my wife's Honda there has been virtually no change whatsoever in MPG compared to Mobil 1. I didn't expect to see any mileage increase, as in all the years of driving I've never seen any of my cars MPG go up after switching to a different oil. Even from dino to synth.

I'll have to reread thost RP testimonials and compare it to my results. I think most of them were big V8s. They have so much more surface friction than 4cylinder engines. I'll keep you posted on my next fillup of any increase again.

Leo

I have always maintained that when people are concerned with milage and do something whereby they may expect a better milage senario that they will drive to get better milage. I know I have done it. I really did not see any improvement in any vehicle I switched to Synthetic. However you are getting better milage so whatever you are doing-it works for you.

BTW the best I have ever seen is that Delvac 1 tested a fleet of trucks with synthetics in both the engine, transmissions and Punkins and obtained an average of just under 3% better.

That's why I trust the mileage readings I'm getting with my wife's car, as I know she wouldn't change her driving style after I put this oil in. I even asked her if she noticed any power difference since I changed her oil and she just looked like this at me
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I have always maintained that when people are concerned with milage and do something whereby they may expect a better milage senario that they will drive to get better milage. I know I have done it. I really did not see any improvement in any vehicle I switched to Synthetic. However you are getting better milage so whatever you are doing-it works for you.

BTW the best I have ever seen is that Delvac 1 tested a fleet of trucks with synthetics in both the engine, transmissions and Punkins and obtained an average of just under 3% better.

I also switched gas to Union 76 this fillup. Maybe it was the gas.
grin.gif

Leo

quote:

That's why I trust the mileage readings I'm getting with my wife's car, as I know she wouldn't change her driving style after I put this oil in. I even asked her if she noticed any power difference since I changed her oil and she just looked like this at me
rolleyes.gif

With my wife I would get terrible mileage. She has a '98 Lincoln Mark 8, and has street raced me on many occasions. If we go in two cars she always has to beat me home!

Leo

Leo, my wife tries to do the same thing with me! Even though her 106hp Honda is no match for my 275hp Firebird!
smile.gif

I usually let her get an entire intersection ahead of me, then I drop the hammer and blast by her.
burnout.gif

quote:

Leo, my wife tries to do the same thing with me! Even though her 106hp Honda is no match for my 275hp Firebird!
smile.gif

I usually let her get an entire intersection ahead of me, then I drop the hammer and blast by her.
burnout.gif

It's sure is fun though!
One time we were coming back home back to back on the freeway and this Mustang decides to race me thru traffic. I was following him at 110 mph. Then I look in my rear view mirror, and my wife is right behind me!
grin.gif

Leo

I was traveling North along US-41 this PM, roads were snow covered and slippery, blowing snow 10 deg F. I was cruising at 55mph in my 2001 GMC 4X4 when this gal comes up behind me and passes me like I am standing still. We commented that she was driving crazy. She was driving a newer Expedition. Anyhow I stopped to look up someone I knew and was back on the road about 15 min later when I come up on a State Police car with the flashing lights on. As I pass the scene I see this very same Ford on it side on the shoulder. Then on the early news tonight it said she was ticketed for driving to fast for conditions. She lost control passing another vehicle and was doing 180's then fliped over and slide down the road some distance on here side. Non fatal accident.

[ January 20, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back