I'm DONE with "premium" oil filters

What are the best "top of the line filtration + mileage" filters. Next question, what are the boutique filters, and are they arguably better than the top of the line?

But to respond to the OP, yeah those lousy colleges can teach their students to be false if they want to, but it won't be without a price. That's not how any good business runs. And there's consequences for your actions. Those colleges have fallen from their once lofty positions, most of the old respect they once held is gone. And the companies their students go on to run, will be eventually fall to someone who does things the right way. That's because nobody actually wants to do business with some shady company. And in the information age, word gets around fast.

See Tesla pushing all the other automakers aside for reference. Or what Amazon came along and did to everyone else who wasn't on top of their game. I get that you're just citing the state of things, but it won't last and it's unlikely every company has a policy of being scumbags as you've outlined. Just need to identify the ones who have competent people running the show.
Amazon is at the TOP of the scumbag list!! Counterfeit goods anyone ? Amazon could care less.

AC Delco and 5k OCI for me now...used to be M1 or Ultra...sad state of affairs.

According to acdelco which uses the same glass enhanced nylon core as super tech filters, the cores are multiple times stronger than the tin coils. I been using and cutting open both super tech and AC delco for a good while now and all good.
Same. I think the same hysteria like this is what causes even people until this day to stay away from fram. Though I'm not a huge fram fan, they do make good filters once you step up to their premium line. It's a big nothing burger. I've used hundreds of delco Ecores with zero issues.

Disclaimer: it's ironic I actually have a synthetic ultra fram on my impala now 😂

Amazon is at the TOP of the scumbag list!! Counterfeit goods anyone ? Amazon could care less.

AC Delco and 5k OCI for me now...used to be M1 or Ultra...sad state of affairs.
Even the genuine filters on Amazon are garbage. I've been buying filters there off and on for a few years, and now I refuse to because it seems every single one I receive has a giant dent in it and the box looks like it has been dropped out of a plane. Negative reviews and messages to sellers don't seem to yield any results, besides one guy asking me to take down my review in order for him to give me a refund not including shipping. Gee thanks.

Was that Ebay?
Nope Amazon, that particular incident was an independent seller through Amazon, but for most things you can just send them back, which is still a huge waste of time. Why would I order filters when I have to drive half of them back to the post office? I'd rather just drive to the store and get non-dented ones in the first place.

With that said I have had decent luck ordering filters from WalMart so far, so we'll see. 🤞

According to acdelco which uses the same glass enhanced nylon core as super tech filters, the cores are multiple times stronger than the tin coils. I been using and cutting open both super tech and AC delco for a good while now and all good.
If e-Cores were bad, GM wouldn’t have allowed them to be sold under the ACDelco name. And the automakers would be issuing TSBs and voiding warranties left and right. Except for the few exceptions(HyunKia), e-Cores have proven themselves in nearly 20 years of service.

If e-Cores were bad, GM wouldn’t have allowed them to be sold under the ACDelco name. And the automakers would be issuing TSBs and voiding warranties left and right. Except for the few exceptions(HyunKia), e-Cores have proven themselves in nearly 20 years of service.
If GM actually cared about their name or the ACDelco name, there is quite a list of automobiles and parts they should have refrained from selling.

I remember when Purolator came out with the PureONE about 15 years ago. They started the war of the 'better' oil filter. 20 micron 99% efficiencies. Synthetic or Synthetic blend media, it was all new. In a world where tin can filters were $2-3, where the (edit - mod) said 96% at 40 microns was good: here was a product that seemed head and shoulders better and cost 2-3x as much.

Mobil jumped in on the game next, and came out with a 20 micron filter that they shoved more media in with deeper folded pleats. They claimed 15k miles "extended" performance. I was in love and bought that one too. Never mind paying $10-$12 for an oil filter. These filters could take out anything down to very high efficiencies.

Now the only 20 micron left is the fram ultra. But this is the orange can company and they are all getting sloppy too. The youtube cut opens are showing many brands with sloppy globs of glue, sometimes chunks of glue on the RETURN side of the media, ready to flow right into your engine and plug a tight passage.

The legendary m1 is now a 30 micro ho hum efficiency. Multiple videos cutting them open show glue slopped on the bottoms and backsides of the end caps. Gone are the crimped end pleats, they just glue the end pleats together. Mobil expects us to pay $12.71 at walmart for my rav4 2021 filter.

I saw some other companies (orange) with glue stains on the backside of the media. And some people are finding these"louvre" steel center tubes have bad stamping and the "louvre" is mostly bent shut.

So I'm now just like (edit - mod)! I"m going with Supertech MPs. They at least have a silicon drainback valve, i can stick a flashlight in and look for glue on the wrong side of the media, and you know what? I think the nylon center support cage is fine. Helps me see defects and you know what else? It doesn't need to hold 50 pounds...just a few, so its fine.

ST MPs have 30 micron 99% ratings. Thats good enough, (edit-mod) same rating M1 makes at 2.5x the price. The oil filter world doesn't seem to want to spend the extra on legit 20 micron media. The whole filter world is run by Harvard MBAs, where they LITERALLY have a case study they teach that instructs students that it is usually easier to just convince people a product is better than actually make it better. None of this is even considered unethical by these vampire training colleges. Charge more, claim more, but supply with common quality or even junk. They make a fool out of every one who wants better and is willing to pay.

Lesson for me is: buy the cheap stuff and just watch for problems. The ST MP4967 i just bought was $5.50 at wallyworld. Fram and especially Mobil: Go pound sand.

View attachment 107940
Supertech filters aren’t bad and center cores aren’t bad either. Not the only brand that uses them. Glue is not something you should worry about other than the center tube. Some center tubes have hair fine sheets of metal that if broken will screw your engine up.
This is also a good practice to look inside before filling with oil or even screwing on. Machine oil on bypass valve isn’t really a concern as it keeps the spring from corrosion. It acts like a fogger oil. My only issue with Supertech is the filter media. Probably not an issue if you change your oil every 2k-3k.
The folks that use a filter for multiple changes are a screwy bunch. As a wear and tear item slowly wears a tears I’d never use a filter for 20k of 10k changes. You folks are brake. It’s not if but when it fails.

Supertech filters aren’t bad and center cores aren’t bad either. Not the only brand that uses them. Glue is not something you should worry about other than the center tube. Some center tubes have hair fine sheets of metal that if broken will screw your engine up.
This is also a good practice to look inside before filling with oil or even screwing on. Machine oil on bypass valve isn’t really a concern as it keeps the spring from corrosion. It acts like a fogger oil. My only issue with Supertech is the filter media. Probably not an issue if you change your oil every 2k-3k.
The folks that use a filter for multiple changes are a screwy bunch. As a wear and tear item slowly wears a tears I’d never use a filter for 20k of 10k changes. You folks are brake. It’s not if but when it fails.
Yes to all that except they are not 99+ percent at 20 microns. Cleaner oil means less wear.

I liked the old Fram Ultras. They were the best deal in filtration. Haven't tried the new ones, out of disappointment of their cheapening the media. Maybe it works just as good, but it almost certainly costs less to produce. I have no intention of rewarding that.

Back