I'm burning 1Q of oil every 200 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
although it sounds like it may be to far gone, try 4 oz of berryman b-12 chemtool fuel system cleaner in the oil.

add when engine is cold, then run for 10 or 15 minutes at idle only, change oil and filter.

may have to do several of these....

I'm thinking this could be worth doing..

.. I'm also wondering if dosing the oil with a quart of MMO might also potentially have some benefit.

1.) I'd replace the PCV Valve with an OEM part.

2.) Pull the plugs and drop a shot glass of Break-Free in each cylinder, reinstall the plugs. Let it sit at least overnight. Over two nights better.

Break-Free is a carbon gun solvent for loosening and removing stubborn carbon fouling in barrels (shooters version of coking). It will soak into the ring pack and loosen what it can ...

3.) Fire it up and drive around the block - change oil to Rotella T6 5W-40 and add a full can of Kreen. Do this on every oil change, for at least three. When the oil turns really dark, change it, no matter the mileage.

The oil going past the rings is turning to ash in the CAT. Soon it will completely block the CAT (ash cap) and you'll have to take it off and either clean it, or gut it. I'd clean it with compressed air from the back forward and use a brush in the front. Set it aside to remount when you need to get smogged. Run a straight pipe section between smog checks.

It'll still be an economical car to commute. Prolly cut the oil consumption in 1/2. But, you'll never completely cure it.

If it was my car, it'd get a Break-Free ring soak every oil change and full can of Kreen from here on out ...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: FastLane
Buy a new car. That will solve your worn out engine. It's done. Don't waste a penny on it.

Not everyone has bling to drop on a new car (which is one of the world's worst investments). Anyhoo, the car might be getting just south of 40mpg and the engine might be far from worn. It's probably not that worn, just stupidly designed...

People ran burning Saturns over 100'000's of miles...

If your burn that much oil in such few miles don't waste a penny on it. It's done. There is no secret chemical out there that's going to stop that type of oil consumption.

Buy something else and move on. It's done.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
although it sounds like it may be to far gone, try 4 oz of berryman b-12 chemtool fuel system cleaner in the oil.

add when engine is cold, then run for 10 or 15 minutes at idle only, change oil and filter.

may have to do several of these....

I'm thinking this could be worth doing..

.. I'm also wondering if dosing the oil with a quart of MMO might also potentially have some benefit.

please don't shoot me:
1 qt of canola oil?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: bennybigb
Hey Guys,

My 1996 Geo Prizm is now burning 1 Quart of oil every 200 miles. It doesn't seem to smoke too bad, or drip too much, I don't know where the oil is going, but I drive 400 miles a week, so I use 2 quarts of oil per week just keeping that thing on the road.

The car has always used some oil, but when I finally started using my G-Oil stash, the usage picked up a lot. I now ran out of G-Oil, so I am putting 10-30 Peak oil in it for Top-Off. I think I may try a high mileage oil in a thicker grade and possibly some stop leak.

What do you guys think? Is there any quick additive that might work for my Oil Guzzler?

Thanks!

Ben

It's a known issue on the Toyota 4-cyl. of that era. The motor needs to be opened up and cleaned with additional drain ports drilled into it. Thicker oil only makes the problem worse...

This...recall reading multiple threads about this vintage.

I had a 2006 Pontiac Vibe. When I bough it - it made a small puff of blue smoke for 30 seconds on cold start up. Then I found out that it is burning 1qt of oil per 100 miles. Not a typo. One quart per one hundred miles Carl!!! So once it ran low again - I dumped a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. Then 100 miles later did an oil change. After that my oil usage was 0.5 qts per 3k miles. It was a sludged engine so I kept the OCIs short. Eventually it went to ZERO oil consumption per 3k miles, and that's when I sold that thing. Had other issues other than oil consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: FastLane

If your burn that much oil in such few miles don't waste a penny on it. It's done. There is no secret chemical out there that's going to stop that type of oil consumption.

Buy something else and move on. It's done.

Read above. 1qt per 100 miles. Marvel Mystery Oil fixed it. It was the famous 1zz-fe oil burner Toyota engine btw, supposedly revised though.

My Accord burns more...lol. Start using used motor oil and save yourself some money.

Mobil 2... The oil of choice for cars that burn through oil like crazy. This is ingenious and funny all at the same time.

You need to address the oil consumption as it might kill your catalytic converter. I would add a quart of kerosene and run it for the week. I see you are in MI so thinning the oil might clean the piston rings and oil hole without losing lubrication from being too thin in the cold. The other thing you could do is pull the spark plugs and pour kerosene or Berryman's B12 in each cyl. Let it soak over night, run it for a day. After either solution do a oil change. When you are down a quart again repeat either process if the oil loss is decreasing.

Lots of great advice here, thanks guys!

I think I am going to do an oil change with 20% MMO and 80% Pennzoil HM oil (it's supposed to have good cleaning agents). I might run this oil change for 1,000 miles or until it's black, then do another oil change. I've been doing 4k oil change intervals, but since this motor is apparently a sludger, I wish I would have kept the OCI at 3k. Oh well.

If that doesn't work I will try some of the other tricks you guys mentioned.

I think I am going to do an oil change with 20% MMO and 80% Pennzoil HM oil (it's supposed to have good cleaning agents). I might run this oil change for 1,000 miles or until it's black, then do another oil change. I've been doing 4k oil change intervals, but since this motor is apparently a sludger, I wish I would have kept the OCI at 3k. Oh well.

I would seriously attempt to diagnose the problem first with some of the suggestions here but that's your choice. Don't forget to inspect all the hoses in the PCV system for plugging as well as the valve itself.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Mobil 2... The oil of choice for cars that burn through oil like crazy. This is ingenious and funny all at the same time.

lol.gif
Indeed!

Please keep us posted what happens. I am very curious to see what ends up happening.

I would run the cheapest oil, keep it topped off and run it till it quits or starts fouling plugs. I had an old Dodge 2.5 that burned 1 qt. /400 miles, I stopped changing oil since I kept adding new, till someone did me a favor and hit me.It is an old bic lighter and sounds like the lighter fluid is about to run out.

Last edited:
Maybe try a DOT3 brake fluid piston soak.

Havn't used it for that, but it seems to make quite a good carb cleaner, which is a sort-of similar job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back