I'm afraid I got scammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I said I would wait to post, but called the bank, they HAVE cashed the check, and say I can't cancell the check.

Now to get that!@#$% company.....

BBB here I come!

Originally Posted By: EricZoom
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
HUH?

When they SAID it was no more than $3,000, ******* WHY ******* did you pay them $10,000 ????????????????

That's what I'm wondering. 3k should of been it.
I thought it was bad here in FL. I guess i was wrong.

Dude, grandpa paid them and told me LATER!!!!!!
What could I do?
I left too early, I guess...

That's really too bad.

If it was $3,050 I would say forget it.

Wish you all the best going after them.

Last week two young guys came up in a nice truck and gave me the same story and I told them no because about 4 years ago two guys tried the same scam on Tony. Our neighbors (older than us) agreed to pay $2,500. They have a very short driveway and instead of the agreed on price they also paid $10,000. Within 6 months they had to have the drive way done by professional. Do what ever you can to get your money and put them in Jail. Post the company name if you want because if one person is saved from this scam it is worth your time. They pick on the elderly because they grew up in a time when you could trust people.

crikey mate. that is bad. i fell sorry for your granddad, seeing as he would need every penny for his pension.
personally, i don't even have 3k to spend on anything, so it all seems like big bucks to me!

I hope you get it all worked out man.

And just to throw this out there.

Never buy stereo equipment from guys in a van. They'll pull up at a gas station or car wash or wherever and tell you they have overstocked items so their boss told them to go sell them at a huge discount. Run them off before they finish talking.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
Last week two young guys came up in a nice truck and gave me the same story and I told them no because about 4 years ago two guys tried the same scam on Tony. Our neighbors (older than us) agreed to pay $2,500. They have a very short driveway and instead of the agreed on price they also paid $10,000. Within 6 months they had to have the drive way done by professional. Do what ever you can to get your money and put them in Jail. Post the company name if you want because if one person is saved from this scam it is worth your time. They pick on the elderly because they grew up in a time when you could trust people.

Thanks.

I really don't want to post the name, for later on there may be legal issues, and that might be a problem.

Since the check was cashed I really hope they are a legit outfit now and did a legit job and not the types we have been describing to you. Either way next step is to file a complaint with the law ASAP.

Originally Posted By: talker
I know I said I would wait to post, but called the bank, they HAVE cashed the check, and say I can't cancell the check.

Now to get that!@#$% company.....

BBB here I come!

BBB is worthless. Try your state's Attorney General.

You mentioned West, TN. Are you in Memphis, TN? The cops in Memphis wouldn't help you at all.

Where should I start?Let's see....hmmmm.First I highly doubt there are any 16 or 17 year olds that do this kind of work for a living.Most kids this age are still in high school and do not have the experience to do this kind of work without a foreman or someone with several years of knowledge.Was there a lic.# on the work truck?Not a lic.plate I mean a lic.# or charter #?Now let's talk about CONtracts.Any paperwork with a LLC. or INC. on it?Man,I just can't see forking out 3k to anybody without doing some kind of research!Most companys that are not fly by night have a web site or a listing in the phonebook or something like this.Any time Bubba or some shady looking person wants to offer his services,always do your homework and get some prices.These people probably have arrest records longer than your Grandfather's driveway.Usually you can look at a person and tell if someone is trustworthy.No one would ever pull one over on me or my family like this.We don't have 10 grand!!!!!!!..God help you and your Grandparents.

Originally Posted By: gonzo
Where should I start?Let's see....hmmmm.First I highly doubt there are any 16 or 17 year olds that do this kind of work for a living.Most kids this age are still in high school and do not have the experience to do this kind of work without a foreman or someone with several years of knowledge.Was there a lic.# on the work truck?Not a lic.plate I mean a lic.# or charter #?Now let's talk about CONtracts.Any paperwork with a LLC. or INC. on it?Man,I just can't see forking out 3k to anybody without doing some kind of research!Most companys that are not fly by night have a web site or a listing in the phonebook or something like this.Any time Bubba or some shady looking person wants to offer his services,always do your homework and get some prices.These people probably have arrest records longer than your Grandfather's driveway.Usually you can look at a person and tell if someone is trustworthy.No one would ever pull one over on me or my family like this.We don't have 10 grand!!!!!!!..God help you and your Grandparents.

1. the 16 and 17 year olds were driving around and told us.
Their dad did the work, and they helped. By the way, it is summer.

2. Nothing on lic. plate

3. Grandparents thought it was a good deal, and no time to reserch. They wanted a responce then.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
You mentioned West, TN. Are you in Memphis, TN? The cops in Memphis wouldn't help you at all.

Little east of Memphis

Ok all, some bad news.

After talking to grandparents, they don't want to call the law of sue.
mad.gif

I guess they don't care about justice, or $10,000 dollars.
33.gif

I know, its stupid, but if they don't want me to, I won't.

Only thing else I will do is call and complain to the BBB of the mid south tomorrow.

Since they don't care about $10,000 dollars I might ask for some too.

Also, anybody want their driveway redone real cheap?
grin2.gif

Thanks,
Talker

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Talker, I think you are the 'fraud'.

I'm thinking that too. I think Talker is a troll.

Do not feed the trolls.!!!

I don't apprechite that comment.

If you donn't like this thread, stay off it!

Mods, could you please lock my thread?

Originally Posted By: talker
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Little east of Memphis

I'm thinking Germantown or if your really rich..Collierville
But I can see how this happened to your grandparents. I mean, Memphis is such a cest pool of crime. I just had to get out of there. The scammers and thugs are going where the money is to scam the older folks. I remember reading a story in the Commercial appeal five years ago, how elderly people in Germantown don't lock their doors because it's not Memphis. Your just 20 miles outside of it.
LOL.gif
But really, I feel bad that this happened. With the recession were in, everyone should have their guard up against scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back