I'm about to join the green GC club!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm buying 26 quarts of green GC to add to my stash of Redline, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, Mobil 1 T & SUV, Pennzoil Platinum, Delo 400, and Havoline.

I was thinking of running it in my 1986 BMW 325es for a winter fill instead of Redline 10W-40 and in one of our 2005 Subaru 2.5i Outbacks instead of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30....

...any suggestions?

Also, I was planning on running LC20 / FP60 with the GC.

Is a 10K OCI ok, or should I run 7K OCI?

So, just where are you thinking you're going to find 26 qts of the green at this stage of the game??? Tell me er ... I mean us please.
wink.gif

I've had pretty good luck using GC long-term. Still, every application is different. I'd go to 7.5k, do a UOA, and if all looks good, press on to 10k, sticking with whatever routine the UOA suggests.

BTW, although I've got well over 100 qts of the green stashed away, I'm thinking of switching to M1. I figure that before long, I'll be able to sell the stuff for twice what I paid for it. Suddenly, I find myself in the oil business. . .
cheers.gif

Thatwouldbegreat,

I would do a UOA between 5000 & 7000 miles to make sure the engine is running fine, if the oil looks good run the oil up to 10000 miles and do another UOA, then you will know how far you can run this lube in your vehicle.

So, just where are you thinking you're going to find 26 qts of the green at this stage of the game??? -ekpolk

I live in Irvine, CA and around here the autozones have been cleaned out for months, they only have gold now.. So, instead of going on a cross-country trek, I broke down and ordered online from http://proformanceusa.com I found this retailer on Castrol.com. It's an expensive alternative to autozone, but what can I say, my bimmer is addicted to this stuff. You have to order in multiples of 6 though because once I ordered 20 and they sent me 7 or 8 gold bottles, which went into my brother's car - it made me a little sick paying way too much for gold.. Oh well, now I have enough green for a couple years. Yay for the elves!

-

I picked up 50 quarts of Green GC today from another bitog member. Many thanks!

Now I'll see if this stuff will work in:

-our 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i [ 5w-30 M1 EP currently ]

-and in our 1986 325es BMW [ 10W-40 Redline currently ]

quote:

Originally posted by deutsch325:
I live in Irvine, CA and around here the autozones have been cleaned out for months, they only have gold now.. So, instead of going on a cross-country trek, I broke down and ordered online from http://proformanceusa.com
 -

welcome.gif

Did you pay $8.08 per qt???
If you've posted earlier I would suggest a not so long trip to San Diego County.
There are still some stores with Green GC around here.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I will be shocked if it is anything other than fantastic in both those vehicles

In the 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i I think it should be great. Subaru recommends 5W-30 for most temps...but ramps up to 10W-30 or higher

---==---
My 2005 Subaru Outback manual says:

-5W-30 is preferred for -40F to 100F

-at 0F - 115F or higher 10W-30 , 10W-40

-For desert areas, very high temps or towing :

30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50

---==---

I've had good results with Redline 5W-30 and 5W-40 in our 2003 Outback..so GC should be right in the middle and I would think it would be fine for -40F to 115F and maybe even for the 'towing' category with the ACEA A3 rating.

I'm leaning towards an 8K OCI with a filter swap in between [using Wix or PureOne].. or the full 8K, if I can get the new Amsoil 'nano' filters.

---==---

I am less certain about the GC 0W-30 in our 1986 325es BMW.

I ran this vehicle on 20W-50 Castrol GTX, then M1 15W-50, and finally Redline 10W-40 at 7K to 8K OCI for the last 200K miles.

The owner's manual always favored more viscous oils. I always thought of Redline 10W-40 as a 'thick' 10W-40, sort of like a mineral oil 15W-50.

Now I'm switching to a 'thick' 0W-30.

I think it may work winter and summer..... or it may be too thin for summer heat.

-----------------

Here's the 1986 API SF oil charts from the owner's manual:

Viscosity Temp F

5W-20 -40 to 17

5W-30 -40 to 22

10W-30 -30 to 40

10W-40 -30 to 50

10W-50 -30 to 65

15W-40 -20 to 85

15W-50 -20 to 105

20W-50 -10 to 120

-------------------

AS YOU CAN SEE BELOW THERE IS SOME DIFFERENCE OF OPINION ON VISCOSITY
-------------------

Castrol's UK site recommends:

EDGE SPORT 0W-40

Alternative recommendation GTX MAGNATEC FOR BASIC ENGINES 15W-40

. Petrol engine oil viscosity recommendations: -20°C to 10°C, 10W-30 -20°C to 20°C, 10W-40 above -15°C, 15W-40 below 10°C, 5W-30 below 0°C, 5W-20. Oils listed and approved under BMW 'Longlife Oils' for all year round use: 0W-X and 5W-X

OCI = 24 months !!!

------------------

Castrol Australia says:

BMW
325e, 2693cm³ Eng. (1986-1987)

CASTROL MAGNATEC
SAE 10W-40, API SL/CF ACEA A3/B3

CASTROL GTX3 SAE 15W-40

------------------------

Castrol Germany:

-optimaler Schutz und Leistung FORMULA RS 0W-40 [ optimal protection and achievement]

-gute Performance FORMULA RS 10W-60 [good performance]

-ausreichende Sicherheit GTX 7 Dynatec 5W-40 [sufficient security]

OCI - 24 months !!!

-------------------

Castrol USA

Category : Automotive
Sub-category : Car, Van, SUV, Truck
Manufacturer : BMW
Model : 325es
Year : 1986
Engine : 6 Cyl-2.7L
Climate : Above -15

Your Recommendations

Engine OilCastrol RX Super Heavy Duty
SM,SL,SJ,SH 15W-40 - Engineered for Car and Light Truck Diesel EnginesCastrol SYNTEC BLEND
SM,SL,SJ,SH 15W-40 - Added Protection for Frequent Short Trips

===

Category : Automotive
Sub-category : Car, Van, SUV, Truck
Manufacturer : BMW
Model : 325es
Year : 1986
Engine : 6 Cyl-2.7L
Climate : -20 to 20
Change Selection
Your Recommendations

Engine OilCastrol GTX
SM,SL,SJ,SH 10W-40 - Maximum Protection Against Viscosity and Thermal Breakdown
Product Data SheetCastrol GTX High Mileage
SM,SL,SJ,SH 10W-40 - For Engines with Over 75,000 Miles
Product Data SheetCastrol GTX Start-Up
SM,SL,SJ,SH 10W-40 - Protection from the Moment You Turn the KeyCastrol SYNTEC
SM,SL,SJ,SH 10W-40 - Outperforms ALL Leading Motor Oils
Product Data SheetCastrol SYNTEC BLEND
SM,SL,SJ,SH 10W-40 - Added Protection for Frequent Short Trips

-----------

Mobil 1 USA

Year: 1986
Make: BMW
Model: 325e
Engine Type: 6cyl. 2.7Liter

Above 0 degrees F

Ultimate Protection
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-40

Superior Protection
Mobil Clean High Mileage 10W-40

Premium Protection
Mobil Clean High Mileage 10W-40
Mobil Clean 5000 10W-40

==========

Below 0 degrees F

Year: 1986
Make: BMW
Model: 325e
Engine Type: 6cyl. 2.7Liter

Ultimate Protection
Mobil 1 5W-20

Superior Protection
Mobil Clean 7500 5W-20

Premium Protection
Mobil Clean 5000 5W-20

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Hey dude, get your facts straight. It's not a club. It's a cult.
rolleyes.gif

Well I liked ' The X-Files ' TV show...and now I have the 50 quarts of Green GC.

Does that qualify me for cult membership?

Or do I have to truly believe in the flying saucers and the little green men?

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:

quote:

rolleyes.gif

Well I liked ' The X-Files ' TV show...and now I have the 50 quarts of Green GC.

Does that qualify me for cult membership?

Or do I have to truly believe in the flying saucers and the little green men?

You qualify. I just wanted to make sure that you understood the difference. People join a club voluntarily. Crazy people are members of cults.
128.gif
With 50 quarts of GC, you qualify.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

{Crazy people are members of cults.
128.gif
With 50 quarts of GC, you qualify.

Uh-oh, with ~150 quarts, what would that make me???
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

But of course, that's only about a 4.5 year supply. . .

150 quarts? That would make you like L. Ron Hubbard!

Castrolnetics

quote:

originally posted by vad: Did you pay $8.08 per qt???

No, last month it was $7/qt, but i see that has changed.. I have to be in san diego next week anyway, so i think i'll have a look in the local AZ

quote:

rolleyes.gif

You have roused the Elfemeister from his quiet abode in der Schwarzwald...it is most decidedly NOT a cult...cults are built around deceptive, self-proclaimed messiahs who lead the deceived on a path of great error and falsehood and ultimately to their doom. There is NOTHING deceptive or false about the Green and Gold. They are exactly what they appear to be: a premier work of the Elvish blending of art and science, literally a laudatory and lavishly luxurient liquid lubricant, lending long-term Elvish love to create a tribological triumph.

literally a laudatory and lavishly luxurient liquid lubricant, lending long-term Elvish love to create a tribological triumph.

Holy Bat**** Robin! This guy's losing it!
lol.gif

It's a good oil, really good oil, maybe even a great oil pscholte! But its only oil, and it only goes into cars.

Before I wax poetic and praise something like this .....she's gotta massage me, rock my world from dusk til dawn, and bring me breakfast and cappuccino in bed!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Before I wax poetic and praise something like this .....she's gotta massage me, rock my world from dusk til dawn, and bring me breakfast and cappuccino in bed!
biggthumbcoffe.gif
[/QB]

You mean your stash doesn't do that for you? Man you must have gotten that stuff on sale then
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back