Im about done with microfiber

I know its me along with the cheap microfiber. The microfiber does not have a special place and treated gingerly. Im 60yrs old been using cotton without really any issues. Im not going to go very far to treat the microfiber like its that special. I keep my cars clean and driven. They are not showpieces in any way. Maybe Ill get a couple good microfiber rags for that special occasion. I think I am a cotton guy.
Soft cotton terry worked pretty well for single stage paint in the day, but microfiber is better for delicate clear coats. Years back the terry packs you bought at Checker Auto were harsh not fluffy at all.
Honestly l think cheap microfiber is better than premium terry for today's sensitive clear coat paints.

Do you guys use microfiber for drying? I have a couple of large microfiber drying towels, but haven't tried using them to dry the vehicle, as they seem like they wouldn't be as absorbent as the old, worn-out terrycloth bath towels I've always used.

Now, of course, I do use microfiber towels for removing wax. And, I recently bought some nice, royal blue, high-quality, edgeless, dual-sided ones that I plan to use for rinseless washing.

Do you guys use microfiber for drying? I have a couple of large microfiber drying towels, but haven't tried using them to dry the vehicle, as they seem like they wouldn't be as absorbent as the old, worn-out terrycloth bath towels I've always used.

Now, of course, I do use microfiber towels for removing wax. And, I recently bought some nice, royal blue, high-quality, edgeless, dual-sided ones that I plan to use for rinseless washing.

I have a few from The Rag Company. The premise is that you are not wiping the water off the car but rather lay the towel over the surface and pull off. The towel absorbs the water. I use a large one for the roof and hood. A smaller one is good for the horizontal parts.

I have a few from The Rag Company. The premise is that you are not wiping the water off the car but rather lay the towel over the surface and pull off. The towel absorbs the water. I use a large one for the roof and hood. A smaller one is good for the horizontal parts.
You make a good point.

After "drying with the running water of the hose without a nozzle on it", as I usually do, there really is very little water left on the sides/doors/rear of the vehicle. Most of what's on the vehicle is on the roof/hood.

I'll have to try it.

Old habits die hard, you know?

Those are my favorite drying towels.

These big ones from Harbor Freight are great for the price.

I like Meguiars Water Magnet, get them cheap at the NAVY Exchange, soak up a lot of water, work great when drying with BeadMaker.
MEG-X2000-water-magnet-microfiber-drying-towel.jpg

I use both MF and old 100% cotton rags, personal preference is cotton rags for auto body waxing. Once they're used/dirtied up I go to the MF's.

As others have said, separate your microfibers into 3 categories - paint, drying and wheels/jambs.

Always wash your microfibers after each use. Free/clear detergent, cold water and no heat dry.
I agree, although I have a 4th & 5th category. They become shop rags, and finally they're used to wipe out remaining oil from the bottom of my oil drain pan, which is their finale.

I can tell you there's nothing wrong with your towels. You're using them in/around dirt which is the problem. If you're using a microfiber towel on the finish of your car it should already be clean (only exception being rinseless/waterless wash). If you're using one on the wheels/tires on a dirty floor/driveway it will pick up whatever's on the ground. As far as how gentle they are with dirt on the finish of your car, there's NOTHING better than microfiber right now. Adjust the process, not the towels.

Last edited:
I have different colors for different uses. All of my MF towels are from The Rag Company, I feel their's are the best. I have some that are used on my wheels, some that are only used on painted surfaces, and some are only for water (used for drying, no wax removal or polish applications). As long as I keep them separated like this they work perfectly, and I've been using the same ones for years...

Sounds weird, but microfibers are rags that you can't treat like rags, until they're only suitable to use as rags.

You can only put them down on clean surfaces. I dropped one of my Rag Company microfibers in the mulch in my flower bed. Spent a lot of time cleaning it out, and it's still only good for use on non-painted surfaces. If I take a pair of tweezers after it, I might be able to return it to paint service. You gotta be careful not to sit one down on anything that can ruin your paint, because that's exactly what you'll do it you wipe your car with it. My mother had a huge scratch in the hood of her CX-9 for this very reason. They're a learning experience, both in use, and in care.

Those are my favorite drying towels.

These big ones from Harbor Freight are great for the price.
They might be my favorite too with a name like that. I also feel that Cobra and the Gold Plush Pinnacle provides with their waterless products are very good. I never used the rag company so I cannot comment.

I sympathize with the flowerbed story....I’m still learning how to use them. They are the Mac Daddy in getting hair off of hard surfaces, like a bathroom floor.....

Again thanks for all the advise on how to treat the microfiber. Its great. However its harder than you think for me to treat these things like I should. So with that its back to cotton for me. You guys can contine to treat the rag special and better than anything else. I just cant do it in my shop.

Back