ILSAC GF-7 only five years away, to debut in Q2 2028: details

ILSC GF-7 is about five years away. There will be many, many improvements and changes:
  • a new Noack test
  • changes to low-temperature pumping viscosity (MRV) in SAE J300
  • less engine deposits
  • less oil oxidation (longer oil-change interval (OCI))
  • better sludge control
  • stricter LSPI control, including for aged oil
  • better emission-systems compatibility
  • better fuel economy
  • inclusion of SAE 0W-8 and SAE 0W-12
  • better oil filterability, dealing with the crystal formation by magnesium detergents
  • a new corrosion and shear test
  • better seal compatibility
  • lowering of sulfated ash (SA) limit to 0.9%
  • better fuel compatibility with more fuel types
New passenger vehicles and light trucks with internal combustion engines (ICEs) will likely sunset around 2035, when all new vehicles sold in most localities become a plug-in EV without an ICE or hydrogen-fueled. ILSAC GF-8 could be the last iteration after ILSAC GF-7.

how many current engine oils now may meet these new coming specs,if any,or pass ilsac gf-6,and the current api-sp,or is too unknown at this time,,thank you

how many current engine oils now may meet these new coming specs,if any,or pass ilsac gf-6,and the current api-sp,or is too unknown at this time,,thank you
Nobody would know without putting them through all the testing procedures required for ILSAC GF-7, which probably includes some new test methods not totally finalized at this point.

It’s interesting, that the certification will carry extended oil drain intervals. I wonder how that will play out? And I wonder just how long the intervals will claim to be? Or how the oil companies will feel about selling an oil that will require less oil changes? then again, most probably will just dump the oil at 5,000 miles anyway. But it is interesting, some of the improvements/changes the GF-7 will bring.

If the end goal is no ice for cars/light trucks in just over a decade, what's the point in another spec? If hydrogen, gasoline or whatever is the fuel for heavy duty and off road equipment, why not just make good HDEO for those applications and leave the rest alone? Seems like chasing diminishing returns at this point. 🤔

If the end goal is no ice for cars/light trucks in just over a decade, what's the point in another spec? If hydrogen, gasoline or whatever is the fuel for heavy duty and off road equipment, why not just make good HDEO for those applications and leave the rest alone? Seems like chasing diminishing returns at this point. 🤔
ICE will never be replaced on most levels... the tree huggers can continue to believe that crap, but it simply isn't practical for lots of daily use. If people continue to whine on and on about climate change, pollution, etc. why not put a stop to air travel among other actual threats? That's clearly one mode of transportation that is impossible to electrically energize, but nobody seems to point that out often.

ICE will never be replaced on most levels... the tree huggers can continue to believe that crap, but it simply isn't practical for lots of daily use. If people continue to whine on and on about climate change, pollution, etc. why not put a stop to air travel among other actual threats? That's clearly one mode of transportation that is impossible to electrically energize, but nobody seems to point that out often.
Thanks for joining.

So presumably this will replace ILSAC6B. 6A I am guessing will likely stay the same more or less - maybe they will call it 7A?

I wonder how many cars will actually use this oil - seemingly the spec is for 0w-12 and thinner - much like current "B" spec is SAE 16. At some point you reach diminishing returns no? With variable volume pumps, I truly wonder how much 16 actually saves in the real world anyway?

Solution in search of a problem perhaps?

So presumably this will replace ILSAC6B. 6A I am guessing will likely stay the same more or less - maybe they will call it 7A?

I wonder how many cars will actually use this oil - seemingly the spec is for 0w-12 and thinner - much like current "B" spec is SAE 16. At some point you reach diminishing returns no? With variable volume pumps, I truly wonder how much 16 actually saves in the real world anyway?

Solution in search of a problem perhaps?
Diminishing returns would only be valid if such a situation existed. It does not. The return the automaker gets is in the form of CAFE credits, but the cost is placed on the consumer. So there is a disconnect between cost and benefit which is being paid for by a third party.

Diminishing returns would only be valid if such a situation existed. It does not. The return the automaker gets is in the form of CAFE credits, but the cost is placed on the consumer. So there is a disconnect between cost and benefit which is being paid for by a third party.
Yes and no. I see what your saying, but the manufacturer also needs to build an engine that will survive through the warranty period running 12 or 8 weight oil for 60K miles at 10K OCI. Seemingly this would cost them something? Or do you think modern engines can already run on that light of oil at least for some reasonable period?

Insults aside, I agree. Even worse than air travel are large container ships, tankers, and cruise ships. But we can't have nice trains here, so electric cars it is.

Yes and no. I see what your saying, but the manufacturer also needs to build an engine that will survive through the warranty period running 12 or 8 weight oil for 60K miles at 10K OCI. Seemingly this would cost them something? Or do you think modern engines can already run on that light of oil at least for some reasonable period?
Absolutely and that’s what I meant. But who pays for this design? The consumer. There never will be a diminishing return for the automaker unless CAFE credits dry up or the consumer declines to pay for new automobiles. Cost and benefit here are disconnected.

ICE will live on for the rest of my life. How will farmers do their crops. Modern tractors, combines are now very high horsepower. Will the farmers do a row, then park and chagrge for ??, then it it again. Or drag anextension cord. Cener pivot power for fields? Much rural power does not have sufficient amp capacity for fast charge. They have been upgrading for the 100 HP cener pivot pumps, that is way short of 400 horse tractors and have issues with that.

Don't forget ships,trains,construction equipment, farm equipment, over the road trucks.

California can't even keep up with the electric demand as it is, now they want everyone to have electric cars 😱

Reactions: FCD

Edit: I think this is not the final ballot.

1712176850902.jpg

Sad to see SAPS level drop to 0.9

Last edited:
Back