Ignorant observation about Redline and GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been a board member long and do not know didly. Therefore, my observations should be taken with a grain of salt.
smile.gif

Technarch's recent post about GC http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004887 made me think about a number of things. Redline is also a thick oil but people do not complain about it preventing an engine from reving. Why? Redline is loaded with moly. Redline is a very "slick oil" even though it is thick. For instance, my Camaro SS has no piston slap and never burned any oil until I used Redline. It used 1 quart during one 3,000 mile run and 1 and 1/2 quarts during another 3,000 mile run. I recently read on another technical board named after the LS1
wink.gif
that ring flutter occurs on the LS1 during down shifting. This causes blow-by. Therefore, a slick oil like Redline would seem to aggrivate the problem. Hence, my consumption problem with Redline.

On the other hand GC has no moly and its thickness henders an engine from reving high. Therefore, it would seem that GC would help to reduce oil consumption on cars with wide tolerance. However, on Fords and other cars where the tolorances are narrower this would not be the right oil unless moly was added to it.

What do you think of my ignorant observation?

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
What do you think of my ignorant observation?

I take any statements like "My engine doesn't rev as well with GC versus brand X" with a grain of salt the size of Rhode Island. I honestly don't believe an oil that is 2 or 3 cSt heavier than another is going to make any difference in how much an engine will "rev."

I agree with you G-Man to a point. I've got bracket racers, however, who dropped their ET ..and gained consistancy by switching to synthetic oil. This naturally is a big jump from "resists revving".

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
-*-* Redline is loaded with moly. Redline is a very "slick oil" even though it is thick. For instance, my Camaro SS has no piston slap and never burned any oil until I used Redline. It used 1 quart during one 3,000 mile run and 1 and 1/2 quarts during another 3,000 mile run. -*-*Hence, my consumption problem with Redline.

------

It has been my experience that Moly Helps with consumption and BURN problems.
Some cars take longer than others to adjust, and some cars just dont like certain oils.
It has been my experience that an oil loaded with moly will make the engine sound quiet and seem to gain more HP.

I only use RedLine gear oils. Their engine oil is just too expensive. A Performance Parts store here in Tucson has all the RedLine products I'd just run Mobil 1 SS and filter every 5K miles.

I honestly don't believe an oil that is 2 or 3 cSt heavier than another is going to make any difference in how much an engine will "rev."

And you would be wrong..........especially with little high revving 4 bangers

[ January 02, 2004, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

Certain oils have a lower coefficiant of friction and this is why oils MAY appear to have this effect. Most of this talk about noise, revs and other things are a bunch of BS IMO. Engine specific.
wink.gif

SSDUDE, It has been my observation that most of us Redline users run our cars up to Redline routinely. Most Redline users are also masters of the power shift and drifting. I suspect that we simply push the go pedal a bit harder until it hits the sheet metal!!

Most of use Redline users are really hard on our cars. If I could find a winter auto-cross in Michigan I would be auto-crossing right now! I also think that most Redline users are biased toward protection under these extremes! Most Redline users prefer a road race of a drag race!In a road race you are not going to lose because of the slight HP difference of the oil weight used. These are buy no means facts just my obseraations!

P.S. I am sure the the low Cf does not hurt either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back