Iffy Lube Get's Caught

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys like exposés? Let's do one on NBC; I'm sure they're totally forthright all the time too. (Just playing devil's advocate... I've bashed Iffy Lube enough times with good reason, just like everyone else.)

I recently overheard my ex-wife telling the kids this story. It happened in 1984, I think. Wanted the Nissan dealer to adj my valves. My then girlfreind and I stopped a couple blocks away and put a piece of tape on the back side of the engine connecting the head and the valve cover. The service cost $30.00. Later in the day I was called and told my car was ready. Pulled around the corner and popped the hood. Yup. Tape still intact. Went to the owner Bill Hutchins(it was also a Mercedes dealer). He gladly had his people refund my money.

quote:

Originally posted by Louie's gone fishing:
I know a young fella that works at a new car dealership and I get the feeling that they think the customer is like an apple tree, and ripe for the pickin'.

There are too many people with their hand out at the dealer besides the owner. Parts manager, Service manager, counter parts guy, service writer, lady that takes your credit card or check, and last, and probably least, the mechanic.

There's also too many people that make too much money and just pay whatever they put in front of them. These people, apparently, can afford it.

Is that where you go door-to-door asking if anyone in the house needs their oil changed?

Actually, that's not a half bad idea. Convenient for people since they don't need to take their car anywhere. And they can watch what you're doing to see if you're really changing the oil. Just the small problem of having to carry around 53 kinds of filter and 17 brands of oil to make sure you have what they want. But you could stick a fair selection in the back of a van and go that way. Stick a set of ramps in the back too, and voila, a travelling oil change station.

Who wants a franchise?
grin.gif

I'm pretty sure one already exists. Turnkey mobile lube service targetted for people who don't have time to go to quick lubes or dealers.

-
Lube-N-Go!

quote:

Originally posted by Vilan:
Is that where you go door-to-door asking if anyone in the house needs their oil changed?

Actually, that's not a half bad idea. Convenient for people since they don't need to take their car anywhere. And they can watch what you're doing to see if you're really changing the oil. Just the small problem of having to carry around 53 kinds of filter and 17 brands of oil to make sure you have what they want. But you could stick a fair selection in the back of a van and go that way. Stick a set of ramps in the back too, and voila, a travelling oil change station.

Who wants a franchise?
grin.gif

And the best part is that you can just drain the oil onto the ground on the customer's property
fruit.gif

Once in a major rush I (shamefully) went to an Express Lube for an oil change. The vehicle calls for 5W20, and that is plainly printed on the filler cap. With me standing right next to him, the guy tried to put straight 30 wt. in it. I stopped him and asked what he was doing. Never looking me in the eye, he said he must have picked up the wrong bottle, but then tried to tell me I ought to just let him do it because it wouldn't cause any harm. I told him to wait while I called my attorney. (It was a bluff. I don't have an attorney.
grin.gif
) Then he became very conciliatory and "remembered" to change the filter. I call it the sphincter lube place now.

I seriously doubt even if they would of done the transmission flush they would of used the correct fluid(Honda OEM stuff)anyways further damaging the tranny.

I read on the Honda civic club website where a girl won a judgement in small claims court against Iffy Lube. For, just like you say, uing the wrong transmission fluid/oil and Fxxxing up the transmission.

quote:

Originally posted by johnsmith:
You guys like exposés? Let's do one on NBC; I'm sure they're totally forthright all the time too. (Just playing devil's advocate... I've bashed Iffy Lube enough times with good reason, just like everyone else.)

At least on a national level (the Jiffy Lube thing was local)...

Just because NBC did a crash-test of a Chevy truck rigged with pyrotechics, then claimed that the trucks were fire hazards, doesn't mean they have no integrity...

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/LIE/nbc.html

My parents get free oil changes from the dealership they bought their car from. I wouldn't be surprised if the oil didn't get changed every other time instead of everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back