if your kid wanted to put in a camera system to watch you, what would you think?

Old people start becoming very stubborn at around 60s and get VERY stubborn by 75 or so. I would imagine an 82 year old would throw the camera at you if she found out.

No fun dealing with a parent whose answer for everything is "What does it matter I'm gonna die soon anyway".

I’d like to think as an old person I’d be utterly ridiculous about the cameras. Use it as a mirror to pick my nose, walk around in a birthday suit, randomly give the cameras the bird... 😂

I probably would wish my kid called once a day rather than spy from a distance.

This doesn't work so well either. Well it does because if the elder doesn't answer you know something is wrong but using this system mom spent a terrible night on her floor.

My sister and I came to realize if you're going to let an elder person live alone at home to give them as much independence and respect as possible you just have to accept that things will happen and nature will take it's course. Unfortunately the desire to die peacefully while sleeping in one's own bed at home doesn't happen for many.

I avoided that whole discussion by moving back in. I know, not an option for everyone.

And heads-up - those life-alert gizmo's aren't the be-all answer either. Mom has one with the fall-detector option and several times a year she triggers it accidentally. The *one* time she actually fell, it didn't register so no call went out; fortunately, I was in the house at the time and heard what happened so I was able to get help right away.

If you fall and can't get up, you can call a buddy for help through Alexa.

Alert feature
You can't predict when you'll need help, Ask My Buddy lets you immediately alert someone in your Personal Alert Network that you need them to check on you. You may alert just 1 or all of your contacts with just one command. Simply say, 'Alexa, Ask My Buddy to alert YourContact' or 'Alexa, Ask My Buddy to send help', and Ask My Buddy will immediately send an alert, notifying them to check on you right away. Alerts will be sent by text message, an email, and a voice telephone call.

Premium users can let Contacts know what type of help they may need just by saying a few more words after the Send Help command. Contacts will receive the added information in each text message, email, and voice call. ‘Alexa, Ask My Buddy to Send Help I have fallen and am on the floor’

Check In feature
Have you wished that you could easily let your family that you are doing ok? Ease their minds with a 'Check In' message to your contact by saying "Alexa, Ask My Buddy to check in with yourContact" or you can check in with all of your Contacts at once. Check In messages are sent the same way alerts are, by text message, an email, and a voice telephone call. Use Check In messages each day to let your family know you are doing OK, or use the Check In after you return from taking a walk, even kids can use it to let parents know they arrived home from school.

Ask My Buddy is not a substitute for 911, but rather an additional tool offering the security of knowing help is just a shout away.

I like this.

Ask her “Hey mom, what do you think about us getting one of those security cameras? That way we can check on you if we haven’t heard from you.”

Everyone is different. My grandpa doesn’t care at all.

This doesn't work so well either. Well it does because if the elder doesn't answer you know something is wrong but using this system mom spent a terrible night on her floor.

My sister and I came to realize if you're going to let an elder person live alone at home to give them as much independence and respect as possible you just have to accept that things will happen and nature will take it's course. Unfortunately the desire to die peacefully while sleeping in one's own bed at home doesn't happen for many.
In theory you can ask them to wear an Apple watch and monitor your vitals. Still, the elders will likely think of it as a foot ankle monitor for house arrest, and refuse you on that.

Ask her “Hey mom, what do you think about us getting one of those security cameras? That way we can check on you if we haven’t heard from you.”

Everyone is different. My grandpa doesn’t care at all.
Agree ... OP should talk to his mom about it and respect her feelings either way.

I can't wait to be old and receive texts like, "Dad, are you OK? Your Apple Watch XL just alerted us that, 'your legs may have become too numb to stand due to sitting on the toilet too long'. Please respond or we're putting cameras in your house....J/K they're already there hehehe...put down the Apple Watch XL for dummies sim"

My dad fell and could not get up for an 2 hr on their property. My mum found him he was okay.

My mum and him bought Apple watches that have the fall detection. The downside requires cell device plan to work alongside your smartphone plan and needs to be charged.

My dad fell and could not get up for an 2 hr on their property. My mum found him he was okay.

My mum and him bought Apple watches that have the fall detection. The downside requires cell device plan to work alongside your smartphone plan and needs to be charged.

Wouldn't wifi work?

I doubt they would like it, but I can understand the need. My grandmother had dementia before she died, and she lived with my parents for almost 8 years prior to her last 2 which were in a home. We didn't want to put her in a home, but it just became too dangerous. Both my parents worked, and my grandma would just wander off down the street by herself. It became worse towards the end when she started sun downing, which is common with dementia patients where they sleep during the day, and wander around at night. We often found her trying to leave the house in the middle of the night, wondering where we are.

To all those saying it is the stupidest idea ever, I'm guessing you've never had to go looking for an 87 year old woman at 9pm at night who went for a stroll. Also if they are stubborn, they won't use the commercial system. My grandma would fall and be lying on the ground telling us she is okay, with the little button sitting in the drawer.

A better idea might be security cameras on the outside of the house, tell them it is for their protection incase a stranger comes by, but it also will let you know if they fall outside or wander off.

Just get her a good medical alert device and maybe a professionally monitored security system. Companies like ADT, Vivant, Cove and your local providers all have options and packages. What exactly do you hope to achieve by watching her via a camera as you haven't said why? And the Costco cameras are more than likely cheap crap that won't last and will have issues if outside. If they're WiFi, that's even worse...

The best options are pricier like a CCTV (with app control) or a cloud based camera system. But what are you trying to achieve? Security? A cheap and easy welfare check?

Last edited:
Back