If your car audio is out read this, might help.

Had a frustrating situation that maybe will benefit some other readers so thought I would post. Thanks to user jtrosky for his replies in another thread.
Here is the deal: 2011 Impala LT 3.5 100K miles with the Bose 8 speaker stereo, single CD, Sirius XM, no Nav system. Was getting ready for a fairly long trip and the following happens. 2 weeks ago I got in one morning and no audio from the system. No turn signal click, no chimes, no radio, no audio at all from any speakers, but everything else seemed to function visually, all LEDs in the display good, CD function good visually and mechanically, phone function good visually, steering wheel audio switching functions work, just no sound from any speakers for any function. Got back in the car after work and all normal function returned 100%. Now it has done it again. All of the above again but has not come back on. I did stop on my way to work and turned the car off, got out, let all lights go out, after a couple minutes got back in and started the car but it had no effect, no sound at all. Bought this car about 8 mos. ago, decent deal, and transmission needed rebuild 6 mos. later and a few other repairs. Dang. Now I am upside down on blue book value so I'm going to be driving it for some time, but all else is good on the car and I like it, and the stereo. Had intentions of checking amp connections, head unit connections, fuses, etc. but just ran out of time before the trip.
***Resolution: Still no sound when I was starting the trip and I figured if the phone and earbuds was to be my only audio source I needed to be able to charge it. Checked all 3 12V outlets in the car and NO POWER on 3 different known good chargers! First time I have needed power in this car. Dang. So I figure maybe fuse blown, and I go to the manual, find the Aux fuse in fuse box in the passenger footwell (which happens to be next to the AMP FUSE!), pull the Aux fuse and it's good. Dang. But in the process I moved the Amp fuse a little and the dang audio came on! Moved it around a bit and the audio went in and out! Pushed it in firmly and the audio has been good ever since!!! Apparently a partially seated fuse or maybe the female terminal in the fuse box or the connector is slightly set back. Maybe the difference in the cold temp before work and the hot after (35-40 degree swing) was enough to make it come in and out a couple times before it just had no circuit. Regardless it works again and has for weeks now, no audio issues. The 12V issue I will deal with soon. Hope this might help someone sometime. Seif

Sometimes it really is the simplest thing that fixes problems. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Back