If you were to pick a new ride under 20K, which cars would you make regard for ?

You might tell me otherwise why you would not pick "this" or "that" if you would like.

Sister is planning on a new ride before inflation makes prices worse than what's already on the tags. Preferably she is looking for an engine under 1.6L to drop some exponential taxes that comes with larger displacements, get better fuel economy and lower maintenance cost. She's very cost conscious about operating costs than initial investment. In other words, a car which requires no more than filters and fluids and be good to go for at least 120k miles which her driving style aids in a lot of ways anyway.

Sorry if I appear open-ended, but I don't have a reliable experience in what makes a car better or worse other than relying on specifications. I thought inputs from experienced members will be helpful to narrow down the choices.

It would be helpful if you could list cars which are available over there.
Citroen, Peugeot, Opel/Vauxhall and Fiat/Abarth are all part of Stellantis which also includes CJDR, are said to be on sale in the Middle East.
What about VAG offerings?
General Motors?
Tata?
Suzuki?
The faves mentioned by BOF?
How many are sold impacts price too.

Maybe Mazda 3 or a VW Jetta (or VAG"S SEAT Ibiza or Leon or Škoda Slavia) both in manual transmission.
The Kia Forte used to drive better in earlier iterations but I am not so sure about the engine build or longevity.

2022 SEAT Ibiza
Seat-Ibiza-2022.jpg

There are signs of easing inflation in the US deep within the supply chain. It could take months for these to be seen by end consumers, but nonetheless we are looking like some relief is coming. I would not buy now. Just my opinion.

There have to be sources in your region that have lists of what cars have historically been most reliable.

However I would sooner buy a tier higher, used at half that price point, than $20K for something new, have the $10K drawing interest until repairs are needed.

"No more than filters and fluids" for 120K miles is completely unrealistic. Within that time you will likely need a set or two of tires, brakes, spark plugs, and hard to predict what else on a low cost economy car.

It would be helpful if you could list cars which are available over there.
How many are sold impacts price too.
not many of us know what's available in your part of the world.

Some prices are higher for cars on the list but still manageable.

There are two types of cars in our market: one that holds up to the unwelcoming conditions for long, and one that cost its purchase price to get to the age of 7.

(Toyota)
Corolla - known reliability, definitely not its transmission.
Yaris - Sister has one, majority of problems came from suspension and nothing else.
Belta, Rumion, Rush, C-HR - new to the market

(Honda)
Civic, City - Praised for fuel economy, parts are not easily available.

(Mazda)
3, CX 3 - I have Mazda 3 never had a single problem to this day. Almost 190k.

(Subaru)
Impreza, XV - do not hold resale value, parts are not common.

(Mitsubishi)
Lancer - Designers must have lived in Egypt
Xpander, Eclipse - rare

(Nissan)
Sunny - You should do a special pray not to make an accident.
Sentra - Losing popularity
Juke - Trending

(VW)
Golf, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan - it's VW 💙

(Audi)
A3, Q2

(Opel)
Insignia - Definitely will need a short block at 70-80k.
Astra- Will meet the same destiny as Insignia.
Corsa- Hold up well
Crossland - New to the market

(Skoda)
Octavia - I never heard anyone who had it complaining
Scala, Kamiq, Karoq - New to the market

(Kia)

Cerato - Lost popularity
Xceed - New to the market
Sportage - 3 years 1st on the trend list

(Hyundai)
i10, i20 - Not very popular
Accent, Elentra - Held their positions for years
Creta, Bayon, Ioniq - New to the market
Tucson - A few steps away from perfect

Ford Ecosport - Does not hold up
Focus - Not popular
Fusion - Rare

(Chevrolet)
Optra, Captiva, Malibu - Nothing to complain about

(Jeep)
Renegade - Not very popular

(Alpha Romeo)
Giulietta - Rare

(Seat)
Ibiza - Popular
Arona - New to the market

(Fiat)
Tipo - Popular

(Peugeot)
Peugeot itself is the problem, they should test their mainstream in Disneyland not in Egypt. There are exceptions at higher tiers.

(Renault)
Logan - cheap
Megane - Doesn't hold up well
Sandero, Duster - Lost Popularity
Cadjar - Trending

(Citroïn)
C Elysee, C3, C4 - rare

(Suzuki)
Baleno, Ciaz - rare

There are signs of easing inflation in the US deep within the supply chain. It could take months for these to be seen by end consumers, but nonetheless we are looking like some relief is coming. I would not buy now. Just my opinion.
FB_IMG_16550317650255209~2.jpg

Back