If You Walk, Run or Bike, Listen Up This is Important

I've biked most of my life until I was hit head on, then I tried running which is bad for the knees, I still try to walk but the distance I walk is limited. However, yesterday while walking around the block to check how well our lawn guy did on our yard, I had my back turned to traffic and I heard something hit on the ground behind me. it was a water bottle that was flung from a passing car where as the youth we're trying to hit me with it. Mind you, the bottle could have had water or something more potent in it. They missed, but now I have to change my walking habits and directions so that I can view on coming traffic. It's gotten rougher in our area as to the point where I have to wear my smart phone on my chest like a body cam. So keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings.

Last edited:
So keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings.
This x1000.

I've tried hard to instill in my kid that when she's walking out in public anywhere, that she doesn't need to have her head buried in her phone, but instead pay attention to her surroundings. I see so many people on a daily basis that you could literally walk up on and either snatch something from them or whack them in the head and they would have NO CLUE where you came from, them being so absorbed in their online life.

That is sad that many people have no regard for others. Poor parenting, too many time out sessions and not enough of the leather strap while being held accountable. I am glad the bottle missed you.That bottle could have caused a serious if not fatal injury. Personally, I never walk unless facing traffic. The law in my state of Ohio states to face traffic while walking and go with traffic while biking. I do worry when I am biking and try to avoid two lane busy roads especially.

Last edited:
I've tried hard to instill in my kid that when she's walking out in public anywhere, that she doesn't need to have her head buried in her phone, but instead pay attention to her surroundings. I see so many people on a daily basis that you could literally walk up on and either snatch something from them or whack them in the head and they would have NO CLUE where you came from, them being so absorbed in their online life.

This immediately popped into my mind. It's really sad how disconnected from reality we've become.

I wouldn't get too worked up over one instance. Over the last 7 years and 20k I've averaged maybe 1 incident a year. But as you said you have always be aware of your surroundings. I've got mirrors on the bike and always watching around me. I have started to see other drivers sticking up for me which is kinda awesome.. a dump truck driver got tired of a Cavalier messing with so the driver put them on the sidewalk.. they haven't messed with me since :ROFLMAO:

That's a bummer. I haven't had things tossed at me in years, but I live in the sticks. Live in the city and you just multiple the chances. Live in the sticks and with our narrow roads, there's plenty of sketchy passing, makes me worry on the bike, at least walking I walk into the traffic and can see if I'm going to get buzzed.

Hope you find a good balance and exercise routine, I love biking but my knees have been getting real achey lately.

I could say the same thing for bicyclist who think they are infallible to automobiles and it is always the drivers fault.

A long time back I opened my car door on a quiet city street, the door was open for at least 5 secs and by the bicycle guy's own admission he had his head down and wasn't paying attention. However I was still 100% at fault, go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've biked most of my life until I was hit head on, then I tried running which is bad for the knees, I still try to walk but the distance I walk is limited. However, yesterday while walking around the block to check how well our lawn guy did on our yard, I had my back turned to traffic and I heard something hit on the ground behind me. it was a water bottle that was flung from a passing car where as the youth we're trying to hit me with it. Mind you, the bottle could have had water or something more potent in it. They missed, but now I have to change my walking habits and directions so that I can view on coming traffic. It's gotten rougher in our area as to the point where I have to wear my smart phone on my chest like a body cam. So keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings.
Sorry to hear this happened to you, but glad you're OK!

Whereabouts are you?

Place a 50" or bigger flat screen TV on a wall. Measure and place a treadmill far enough away from it, that your neck is in proper alignment. Then only watch educational things while using the treadmill.

Its not fun, but is more safe.

This x1000.

Before I retired , I used to have the occasion to go to the local university to check on one of the substations . During class change there would be hundreds of kids crossing the streets with their face in their phones . Pedestrians had the right of way and they wouldn't even look up when stepping off the sidewalk . It was actually kind of amusing to watch .

I could say the same thing for bicyclist who think they are infallible to automobiles and it is always the drivers fault.

A long time back I opened my car door on a quiet city street, the door was open for at least 5 secs and by the bicycle guy's own admission he had his head down and wasn't paying attention. However I was still 100% at fault, go figure. :rolleyes:

I was door-ed when I was 17. I was riding my bike to work. The door was attached to a 2 door Buick Electra 225 that had just parked at the curb. It looked pretty much like this one.

59e58b59b5857_IMG_20171011_130050.jpg

I was paying attention, or so I thought. I was watching the side streets, the cars in traffic ahead of and next to me, the traffic lights, the crosswalks. I wasn't looking inside the parked cars on my right to see if they were occupied. I do now, when I ride.

I was door-ed when I was 17. I was riding my bike to work. The door was attached to a 2 door Buick Electra 225 that had just parked at the curb. It looked pretty much like this one.

59e58b59b5857_IMG_20171011_130050.jpg

I was paying attention, or so I thought. I was watching the side streets, the cars in traffic ahead of and next to me, the traffic lights, the crosswalks. I wasn't looking inside the parked cars on my right to see if they were occupied. I do now, when I ride.
I felt horrible for the guy but he was in full decor and kit so this isn't his first time riding. He was using the middle of the lane prior and again by his own admission with no oncoming traffic started riding within inches of parked vehicles and just kept his head down. I asked repeatedly if he wanted an ambulance, no, and he rode off. I gave him my information anyway and about 4 hours later I get a phone call saying he's going to ER because he thinks he fractured his kneecap.

Being the cynical guy I am I swore he went home and beat his kneecap with a hammer. :ROFLMAO:

I wish more bicyclist would be aware of what they actually are in my area instead of just blowing through lights & traffic like they are invincible.

I live on a dead end street, and I'll still only walk without headphones on. I only bike/walk/run on trails where there is no traffic usually. It simply isn't worth it.

I pass walkers every day on my way to work, who seem to have no regard for the traffic (walking 2 or 3 across into the road, around blind corners, etc). Yes, they obviously have the right of way, but is it worth being dead to be right? My parents always taught me to stay far away from cars when walking on the street, because at the end of the day the car will kill you whether you have the right of way or not.

I am fortunate that there is one of those "rail trails" around where I live. I use it all the time and it lets me avoid about 99% of the vehicle traffic. The biggest hazard are hikers and joggers glued to their phones but they are usually pretty good about staying to their side of the path.

It isn't perfect however. Years ago - like back when I was in Junior High - I was riding on the path and an older kid from school came riding by in the opposite direction and when we passed each other he swerved toward me and stuck out his leg out to kick me off my bike and I wound up in a bad crash into the weeds. Unfortunately for him I recognized him from school and a few years later I served him cold revenge when he left his locker unlocked one day in High School.

Back