If You Haven't Seen This - You Need Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ... that's a lot of metal shavings out of an auto tranny. Mabye too many for "normal wear & tear" unless that guy is really abusing it somehow.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Wow ... that's a lot of metal shavings out of an auto tranny. Mabye too many for "normal wear & tear" unless that guy is really abusing it somehow.

Same thing I was thinking. I've never seen that much metal come out of anything, let alone an auto tranny. I'd be very worried if that came out of something I owned.
shocked2.gif

Most Automatic Trannys already have a magnet in the pan and it looks like that magnifine filter with all the shavings. Just clean it and place it back in the pan and you're good. I see no need for the magnifine in most applications but some that already take a canister filter it would probably be a good thing,

Pan magnet is usually pretty weak and lame.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a Honda transmission.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Why do you have 2 threads? Anyway, what is the service life on one of these?

Why? Partially because it's new to me to communicate to people via a machine; I was so incredulous over the pictures I wanted to pass them on to everyone. If I have caused you emotional distress, I apologize.

You can go with what Magnefine recommends, about 10-15k miles, which would be way overkill under normal circumstances, IMO. I tend to run mine in the 50-100k mile range, but this is with high quality full synthetic ATF in normally driven vehicle with some towing as well (no racing or abuse). Mine looked less contaminated than that one in the pictures, minus the plastic bits from sawing it apart.

My trans builder friend sometimes installs these Magnefine filters after the cooler while the trans is in for a rebuild. They have a flush machine that cleans out the contamination in the coolers after a disintegrating torque converter sends trash downstream. Some coolers are harder to get completely clean, so they either replace the cooler or install the Magnefine after the cooler to catch anything that may yet come out later.

For the average application, I would say it would be reasonable to go 30k miles, up to 50k in some on one of these little Magnefines.

Originally Posted By: Shamus
If I have caused you emotional distress, I apologize.

LOL.gif
... hummm, I might have to start using that line.
whistle.gif

The more I look at the photos, and reread the phrasing of his words, the more suspect I become; wondering if he either 1) works for this company and has set up a false incident, 2) drives the living heck out of his car, or 3) actually has a tranny destroying itself. But without hard evidence, I have to go with "3". In any case, the filter is cheap insurance.

I like the little Magnefine filters.Does it make much of a difference to install after the cooler?I had a line that was leaking at the crimp.I cut the piece of line out and installed a Magnefine while I was there but it's in the line before the cooler.Is it all that critical?

For power steering? ..good question. I'd probably go a couple of years.

Most put it on the IN line since that's what they take off the cooler to do in line fluid exchanges. It doesn't matter.

I have never seen needle-like looking debris on an AT magnet before. Usually there's just fine particles that look like delta mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back