If you HAD to have an all-season tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor's daughter just started college and we did a pre-trip inspection on her vehicle before she left to make sure it could handle the voyage. She has a 1995 Neon sedan with 13" wheels. She will mainly be using it for short trips and errands while away at school. The poor car needs new tires and their family just won't listen to me about having separate sets for winter and summer (we live in MA and she is attending school in slightly-snowier NH; I've always been a believer in having a set for each season), so they will be shopping for all-seasons. The young lady does not have much money but I said I'd help her pick out a tire for her vehicle. Anyone have any recommendations for an affordable all-season tire for that tiny little car? I know my brother, a NC resident, runs Bridgestone Potenzas on one of his cars, and unknown model Michelins on his other, and he has very little trouble driving in the snow when he comes up to visit us and reports good dry- and wet-surface performance down south. I had Continental Touring 2000s on my 99 Monte Carlo for one winter and they weren't bad, but I can no longer find that model.

I'm assuming that car uses a 185/70-13 tire. Nice thing about tires in that size is most are pretty inexpensive. Even a Michelin wouldn't break the bank.

On Tire Rack the Kumho A/S 795 gets good reviews. Not too bad at $33/tire. You could probably have all 4 shipped and installed for under $250.

In talking to tire folks I've heard Cooper makes a good all season tire that performs pretty well in snow. You might want to stop at a couple local tire joints (not a big chain store) and see what they recommend. These requirements are pretty common so I'm sure the tire jockeys know which all season's perform well in snow.

quote:

Originally posted by methusaleh:
... She has a 1995 Neon sedan with 13" wheels. ... Anyone have any recommendations for an affordable all-season tire for that tiny little car? ...

Check out the Kumho Touring A/S 795. Its very inexpensive and has recieved excellent snow performance reviews on the Tire Rack. I'm not sure if its offered in the required 13" size for a `95 Neon though.

Coopers may have good tread wear, but I have found them deserving their reputation for hard riding and poor traction. There were time when I thought the made by Cooper Falcons on my truck were going to last me the rest of my life. They were worse than any of the other 4-5 sets I have run on it, even the bias belted tires that came on it. Consider the Uniroyal Tiger Paws ASC I am running now, decent ride and traction, and reasonably priced. Likely available in 13''. Of course what I bought 4 years ago, may not be available now.

I need 2 tires for my Cavalier before fall. I will be looking at the Kumhos. 205-55-16.

If snow is any concern take at least a look at the Nokian WR tire, basically a winter traction biased all-season. And what I mean is snow/ice traction on par with a pure winter tire.

The only downfall is that its cost is on par with premium brands but worth every single penny in a winter storm.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
If snow is any concern take at least a look at the Nokian WR tire, basically a winter traction biased all-season. And what I mean is snow/ice traction on par with a pure winter tire.

The only downfall is that its cost is on par with premium brands but worth every single penny in a winter storm.

Great tires…I use them, but way too expensive for methusaleh's clientele. I would say $60 is their threshold.

Bridgestone Turanzas are a great all-around tire. A-traction, quiet comfortable tread, and a 700 UTQG means they should last a long long time, which is important because a low treadwear means less "bite" in the snow. They're about $60, but given the treadwear, they're a great value.

Thanks for the replies...yes just today I was pointing them towards Turanzas after doing some reading, and I just sat down and read your post.

Nokians I know are great in the snow, I used to run Hakkapelitas (? spelling ?) on my RWD Volvo and it drove like a 4WD truck in the snow. They are just too far out of the price range; this is a college student's budget. Her father bought her the car, now she has to take care of it.

I will keep you all updated...

I love the WR's as well but obviously too expensive. I ran Goodyear Vivas from Wal-Mart for four years in the upper peninnsula of Michigan while going to school and working ,and I highly recommend them for a cheaper all season. These tires wore very excellent, had pretty nice highway and dry road manners and were excellent in the snow.

Another vote for Nokian WR. It would be my #1 choice if I had to run all-seasons in NH. Alas, if she can't afford them (personally, I'd buy them on credit if I had to), then Kumho 795 seems to be offering great bang for the buck.

If I lived in NH and didn't drive much I would leave my Kumho winter tires on year around. They perform as well as the OEM all season IMO. I also have a set of the 795's but haven't tried them in the snow. They don't look like a snow tire to me.

The Kumho As 795 are not bad tires, and dirt cheap. I have them on one daughter's cars for summer , but we use studded snow tires.

A girl at college will never be able to deal with 6 wheels and tires...so the Nokian WR's are a great choice budget permitting.

Check tirerack's site and see what other 4 season in her size get great snow scores. The Goodyear triple tred was a good choice in the sizes I looked at.

quote:

Originally posted by methusaleh:
Thanks for the replies...yes just today I was pointing them towards Turanzas ...

met,
I have the Turanzas on my maxima, it's cold, wet, icy, snow everything etc here. I wouldn't dare run these in winters...so i've got 4 hankook's 401's for winter. so many other choices...

but other point to consider, being a student (ltd $'s & price of gas...) do consider a size up in profile ie: a 75profile vrs 70, this will not only bring the price down but also give her bettter winter performance with the smaller contact area, hence greater psi to road contact. Keep us posted...

quote:

Originally posted by Max_Tl:
I have the Turanzas on my maxima, it's cold, wet, icy, snow everything etc here. I wouldn't dare run these in winters...so i've got 4 hankook's 401's for winter. so many other choices...

but other point to consider, being a student (ltd $'s & price of gas...) do consider a size up in profile ie: a 75profile vrs 70, this will not only bring the price down but also give her bettter winter performance with the smaller contact area, hence greater psi to road contact. Keep us posted...

Not fair
nono.gif

Hanook's 401 are a winter tire and Methusaleh made it clear these folks don't want to hear it! He's looking for the best foul weather all-season tires that are inexpensive.

Nokian WRs wins hands down as the best snow handling all-season but too expensive in this case. The Turanzas compared to other all-season tires is the better of the bunch, at least that's my experience. Tirerack's average rating is 7.1 (excellent) for snow.

Given that, I agree with you that no all-season tire handles well in the snow, with the exception of the Nokian WRs.

Yes they are leaning toward the Turanzas at this point, thanks to you all, and my neighbor read some reviews for himself and feels comfortable buying them for her.

Some people who just aren't obsessed with cars like we are just don't understand the need for multiple sets of tires for one vehicle...oh well, probably better for their budget anyhow.

razl (&met),
sorry if my msg was misleading, I was NOT implying the 401's were neccessary in this situation.
I'll repeat the point I was trying to make - I've got the turanza's and while I don't hate them, they won't be the replacement tires either.

UPDATE:

The girl is home for winter break and I spoke to her. She ended up shoeing the Neon with the Kumho A/S 795 for financial reasons. She reports absolutely no problems, with decent control and traction even in as much as 5" of untreated snow. She says even when driving through a parking lot of glare ice the tires are better than the previous OEM make/model that were on the car.

Thanks to those who had responded to this thread for the recommendations!

I do need an all season tire too, since rims are very expensive for the Corvette, same with the tire pressure sensors, so I need to run the same tire year round, even in light snow. I chose the Pirelli P Zero Nero all season tire. It's by far the best all season tire I've ever used. It handles very well in the dry, but still gives excellent light snow and rain performance. Tread life is excellent too, and they aren't super expensive compared to a lot of the other tires for my Corvette.

I just bought a set of 185/70 13 Kumho A/S 795 From the Tire Rack for my VW Rabbit. I have yet to drive in clear weather, thanks to a wet and 15 degree below normal Ohio December. Nice traction from the day I had them mounted, which had freezing rain and ice buildup on the roads driving home. Only have 300 miles on them so the tires are still not broken in and probably have release lube to wear off from the tread. Nice in all types of snow, rain, and slush. Not the best on rough hard packed snow turned to glazed ice, but only a high end studless snow tire or a studded snow tire would handle well on this light of a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back