If you got sucked into the SilverStar hype...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sylvania has been selling their inferior SilverStar and SilverStar Ultra replacement headlight bulbs for years. Despite the fact lighting experts such as Daniel Stern did their best to warn people, they remained popular.

Sylvania has agreed to settle a class action suit regarding their false/misleading claims with respect to brightness and performance. Follow this link to file a claim and get $10 of your money back.

Link

You will find AAP has them @ eye level and all the other 'lowly ones' right next to the floor. Just replaced a SS yesterday, package of 2 lasted less than 2 years; the 5 yo yota bulb on the other side, still blazing away. Plenty of SS, but only one 'regular 9003'

I think the Sylvania packaging now includes a chart comparing brightness, reach, and lifetime of their various bulbs. Much of it is bars to represent good, better, best, etc. Maybe that was a result of this class action lawsuit.

The Sylvania Silver Star versions that are specificed for
US DOT headlamp bulb versions are inferior with regard to
brightness and durability compared to the Osram Silver Stars
which are the European spec units.

BTW Osram owns Sylvania and is a German company.

Thanks. I submitted a claim for the SS pack I bought in early 2013, but I had mixed feelings. My bulbs all still work, about 19-20 months later, and while the brightness claim is clearly not true, I do find the whiter quality of light makes it a bit easier to spot movement from the sides especially.

I won't refuse to cash a $10 check if they send me one---but to be honest, if the SS's get me through the coming winter without burning out or fogging over I feel I got my money's worth. As long as you don't expect miracles or 5 years of service life they are fine.

Thanks!

I bought a few pair for the Vibe we used to own. Got less than a year out of them. They were bright when they worked. Not sure why I was dumb enough to keep buying them when they burned out so quick.

My OEM bulbs lasted 10 years. I only replaced them because the new housings came with bulbs in them.

It seems most people are lucky to get a year out of Silverstars.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
My OEM bulbs lasted 10 years. I only replaced them because the new housings came with bulbs in them.

It seems most people are lucky to get a year out of Silverstars.

similar experience on my neon. though for me it was "only" 8 years.
installed 3M Lightguard Film over the new housings before i installed them.

Replaced the housings as the lenses were pitted and clouded beyond repair. (i tried, Looking though the inside of the lens was like looking through a Cataract)

Originally Posted By: Rat407
So is there a better bulb out there or is it just best to stay with OEM?

Philips Vision PLUS are good products.

They also have X-treme vision for folks that have
European lamp sockets.

Originally Posted By: GatorJ
..Despite the fact lighting experts such as Daniel Stern did their best to warn people..

Stumbled across Mr. Stern's site way back in the '90s when my 14.4kbps dial-up modem finally got me on the interwebs.

Have avoided the dilettante and poser lighting 'trends' ever since.
smile.gif

I bought a set on clearance for under $20 for my integra, they worked better than what was in there, but that was probably due to age... I noticed that the whiter light is more pleasant for my eyes and totally agree that it helped me see things at the very end of the lighting area like deer eyes in the ditch.

If I get 10 back good deal, but I wasn't dissatisfied at the price I payed already....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rat407
So is there a better bulb out there or is it just best to stay with OEM?

Yes, there are better bulbs out there. What type of vehicle do you have. In general, any high performance NON-COATED bulb will work better (notice that Silver Stars have a slight blue tinting to them), but if you post your specific application, we can better direct you to a good product.

JustinH, for a direct-fit bulb that requires no modification of the bulb, check out either the Sylvania XtraVision (available everywhere), the Philips Vision Plus, or the GE Nighthawk/Nighthawk Platinum. All of these use uncoated glass envelopes and, though their durability will be lower than a standard bulb, they will offer a performance benefit. The Nighthawk Platinum has a blue coating ring at the very tip of the bulb; this does not affect your main beam of light and does not affect durability.

For a greater boost in performance (and likely in durability as well), look for an HIR2 bulb. Your Matrix uses HB4 (trade number 9006) bulbs in the low beams. You can trim the retention tabs of an HIR2 slightly to fit into your socket on your car. An HIR2 will be far brighter than any of the bulbs I mentioned above. But the cutoff and light distribution in the beam itself should be virtually unchanged, since the bulb shares exactly the same dimensions as an HB4 (save for the retention tab differences).

For more on trimming an HIR2 to fit where an HB4 would go, see here:

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

I've purchased SS bulbs in the past and had them burn out at inconvenient times before. Thanks for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back