If you don't like $5 fee to sell a car on CL, know that cars.com is still free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly, you can sell your car on cars.com for free

I honestly didn't know they had a free option until I looked it up!

Of course, they also have premium options that let you include more photos and include a free Carfax report.

Link

Originally Posted by diyjake
Never knew CL charged $5 to list a car.

it only started about a week ago. Before that, it was free for private sellers. Dealers had to pay the $5 since December 2013.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

it only started about a week ago. Before that, it was free for private sellers. Dealers had to pay the $5 since December 2013.

I say up the dealer fee to $25, and maybe the CL car listings section will stop being overridden with spam BS dealer car ads.

Looks like it's already starting to clear up. The spam ads that are still up are from before the price increase. Since then, not as many ads.

Interesting. Bet the ad gets buried real deep in with all the dealer shenanigans.

I for one am not interested in dealer listings. I know anyone can sell a 20k mile car for 97% of MSRP, why should I look at yours?

I would gladly pay the $5 to CL so long as I get eyeballs and callbacks.

There are many venues to sell a car that don't charge a fee. I agree that 5 bucks is cheap to avoid the scammers.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Looks like it's already starting to clear up. The spam ads that are still up are from before the price increase. Since then, not as many ads.
Not for long, my current ad was listed about two weeks before they started the fee, and I've kept it very active by renewing and editing. Since the 15th, I haven't been able to renew it to the top. That lasted about 4 days. They were quick to delete my non-paid ad without notifying me.

I've been going back and forth between CL and Facebook Marketplace. All in all (local to me and my buying and selling preferences, anyway), CL is full of time-wasting flakes, FBM much less so.

I sold my old Buick on cargurus.com last year and it was free. I put an add in our city paper, weekly shopper and county facebook board thingy and the only hits I got were from car gurus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

At that time there were dealers posing as private sellers to save the five bucks.

When it is free, bottom feeders will be present trying to scam anyone they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back