If you do not use new GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fully synthetic- M1 EP

All oils are good today. Can't go wrong with any of them. For extended drains though, M1/Amsoil are the two best IMO.

Quarterback sneak, following buster's lead: M1 EP/Amsoil. EP is easier to get your hands on locally, but Amsoil can be had via a phone call or online order.

quote:

Originally posted by hatcoleman:
If the new GC is not as good as the old formula.
What brand would you replace it with ?
I considered the GC to be the best for my vehicles.

If, Heaven forbid, Gold GC is not as good as green GC, it'll be M1 0w40 for me & my VW.

Full syn:
M1 10w-30 (summer)*
M1 5w-30 (winter)*

Semi-syn:
MC 5w-30

Dino:
Havoline 5w-30

*M1 5w-30 is kinda on the thin side, otherwise I'd use it all year. And since I just switched my Grand Am over to GC yesterday, I can tell you that the thicker oil does make my engine way quieter, especially at start-up. Cold starts went from
mad.gif
nono.gif
to
grin.gif
fruit.gif

Easy, SUPERTECH Synth 10w-30 HM. It's doing fantastic in our Coupe' GT and I've had GC in that car a few times.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Fully synthetic- M1 EP

All oils are good today. Can't go wrong with any of them. For extended drains though, M1/Amsoil are the two best IMO.

What is M1 EP?

Castrol Syntec 5W40.

I have another 2,000 miles to go on my Audi A4 (2.8L V6) and I will be sending in a sample that will have 5,000 miles on it. Terry has read out a previous GC 0W30 report and I want to compare it against the BC 5W40.

I run Mobil 1 5W30 EP in my wife's RX330, but the Audi seems to enjoy the 5W40 (less oil consumption than with GC 0W30).

I've got a few ideas, including:

Amsoil 0w30
Esso 0w30
Castrol 5w40
Castrol 0w40 from Europe (depending on cost)
and even M1 5w30, if it is indeed now 11.3 cst

...I'll chime in since I don't even use GC because of a large supply of M1 that I have.

M1 5w-30 until it's gone. Then Amsoil ASL 5w-30 or TSO 0w-30. I've got awhile to decide.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but even if the gold isn't as good as the green, who's to say the gold still won't be better than anything else??
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pat in Speedway:
Just playing devil's advocate here, but even if the gold isn't as good as the green, who's to say the gold still won't be better than anything else??
patriot.gif

That is a good point!

I definitely plan on giving the gold a chance, but only once my green stash runs out, which is about 18 months to two years away.
smile.gif

It's funny how, even people who should know better, immedietly discount an oil on a reformulation, before the first UOA even shows up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back