If you are looking at Frigidaire appliances and have an IKEA nearby...

....IKEA appliances are franken-Frigidaires with an outstanding 5 year warranty.

My nearly 21 year old GE builders grade dishwasher finally crapped out, it still runs but the drain diverter valve is apparently sticky/stuck so the wash water slowly trickles out through each cycle so water drops so low the wash action pretty much stops about 2-3 mins after each re-fill. Fortunately I have done a lot of appliance research over the past 3 months for a near future kitchen renovation.

For quite a few years until sometime last year IKEA was rebadging Whirlpool appliances. Seems they have switched over to Frigidaire and have some IKEA specific models that are mainly re-badged Gallery series (mid-level Frigidaire) but they come with a lower price tag and an eye popping 5 year warranty. Delivery is extra (vs typically free from HD, Lowes or AJ Madison) but IKEA is about 15 mins away and the Sportwagen will swallow the dishwasher in box no issue.

Just a quick comparison - they are all very similar in feature (minus the basic Frigidaire which is louder and has less "features").

Base Frigidaire - $476. 54db, basic wash/dry features. 1 year warranty.

IKEA knockoff - $499. 52db, enhanced wash, dry and water pressure options. 5 year warranty.

Frigidaire Gallery - $578. ^same as IKEA - only notable difference is the handle. 1 year warranty.

So if you happen to be near IKEA and Frigidaire is on your list for new appliances its worth a peruse, the warranty alone was enough to sell me on the IKEA set. If you are concerned about branding match I don't believe IKEA has their name anywhere on their appliances.

Frigidaire must make the worst appliances or at least washers, we had one that lasted a whopping 3 years in a household of 2 persons.
Got a Bosch when it crapped out and it has been going on for 5 yrs without a hitch. Warranty on paper is not worth much these days if you can't get people to come and fix it or if they give you the current mantra "Parts on Back-order" while the warranty goes tic-toc.

We go to IKEA often enough and never look at their appliances. Have to admit, I figured they were a private-labeled European brand and repairs and/or parts would be next to impossible to get.

Frigidaire must make the worst appliances or at least washers, we had one that lasted a whopping 3 years in a household of 2 persons.
Got a Bosch when it crapped out and it has been going on for 5 yrs without a hitch. Warranty on paper is not worth much these days if you can't get people to come and fix it or if they give you the current mantra "Parts on Back-order" while the warranty goes tic-toc.

I used to think that too, but we bought a house in 2015 and did a DIY flip. Previous owners had brand new (plastic still on them) but bottom of the line Frigidaire appliances in the kitchen. Refrigerator was a scratch and dent Gallery. Since we were tearing everything else out of the house, decided to keep the appliances and replace them later if needed. 6 years later they're still going strong.

When did GM sell off Frigidaire? Saw some unique electric burners. They mounted on the back of the counter and flipped up like a bed.
apparently 1979.... it was sold to White Consolidated...
"When Frigidaire was acquired by White Consolidated Industries in 1979, it abandoned the General Motors design in favor of the Westinghouse-produced top-loading design, as White-Westinghouse was already among its house brands by this time. "
They're Currently owned by Electrolux

Electrolux are IKEA's fellow countrymen. They also make Best Buy's Insignia house brand.

We had a washer from the GM era, with the plunger-type agitator. Well-regarded by the appliance enthusiasts. Perhaps not as highly as Maytag, but higher than Whirlpool. Still using a fridge from the 90s.

Bought a new Whirlpool dryer this year, and it's not far removed from the one it made for Kenmore in 1970. But it likely won't last as long.

Whirlpool, GE/Haier, Electrolux, Bosch, LG, and Samsung. Who else is there?

We had a Frigidaire front loader and for the 8 years my parents had it, it went through 2 door seals, 3 control knobs ( gear stripped each time), and a drive bearing. most was covered under warranty after the parts came in a few weeks later. Only thing we paid out of pocket was for one of the dials (70 bucks) and 20 bucks for a fire extinguisher recharge after the motor caught fire.

Look I'm just excited that my Fisher and Pykel drawer dishwasher still works perfectly and it's been in service for like a decade. The originals aren't known to last. Mine has. Knock on rich mahogoney because I love the design 1,000x over the standard dishwasher design.

Myself and my family have had pretty good luck with Frigidaire - my parents recently sold their house and with it went a 10+ year old Frigidaire front load washer. The matching dryer they bought at same time did crap out some years back but the washer kept on going. As for warranty and service I have not heard anything too terrible about the well established brands (Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire/Electrolux) - now I have heard many places that Samsung and LG still have pretty poor after sale support/parts/service.

While I would absolutely love Bosch appliances the cost cannot be justified for my condo for a cost to resale value standpoint, this is not a forever home and I don't picture myself being here much longer than another 3-5 years. Similar 1/1 units in my complex are only pushing $185-190k so spending $10k on appliances is not justifiable.

When my microwave died I "almost" bought an IKEA one, I ended up with an identical used one instead so I don't have to redrill all the holes.

As a kid in the 90s we always got Kennmore or Frigidaire after numerous Amana appliances always crapped out. Always apparently Unrepairable. My family was always “Amana is TRASH!”

After my roommates Samsung washer and dryers took a crap, three times now, I read numerous reviews on appliances. Some of these digital doodads are cheaper to replace than repair anymore.

So, I bought a no frills matching set of 90s era state of the art technology Amana Washer and Dryer.

They laughed because it was all dials. No buttons. No digital timer. No pretty ring to know “clothes are done” just a obscenely loud buzz.

this lead to replacing the dishwasher with a barebones Amana one.

Next will be other appliances.

I’m not shilling for any brand, but after having the same basic designs for **** near 3 decades, parts are abundant. Issues are known. And I really could care less if my dishwasher, clothes washer, dryer, etc has Bluetooths or fancy screens. Lol

I Deal with appliances in apartments all the time. What blows my mind is if the diverter solenoid or valve and timer knob go bad it costs more than a new dishwasher.

When I bought my place, the kitchen had been remodeled with "Ikea" appliances aka Whirlpool. They have been nothing but trash. The dishwasher has needed no less than 3 door latches and 2 thermo-fuses, the fridge door gasket is falling apart, and the range can't hold a temp to save it's life. Absolute trash.

Fridgidaire is the worst. My entire kitchen has their uplevel stainless gallery line (or something like that) and every appliance has broken in some manner. The refridgerator was never able to be fixed properly under warranty - can;t use ice maker and it defrosts randomly, the microwave died and the dishwasher is making a loud almost like its dying sound now. These are appliances installed when house was built on 2014. Never again.....I've never had so many problems with appliances until these.

Wow this thread is a blast from the past.

IKEA (Frigidaire) dishwasher still going strong at 9 months no issues to report. Fridge, range and over the range micro no issues 6 months in and they are operating as expected.

Only problem I can report is delay from Frigidaire in getting replacement water and air filters for the fridge, fridge warns when they need replacement and I ordered immediately once warnings glowed. Despite Frigidaire website and confirmation email saying they ship within 2 business days it was almost 2 weeks before they shipped.

Back