If use BMW LL-01 oil instead of BMW LL-14 FE+ will I be voiding warranty?

I did oil changes on my E90 myself. I used LM 5w-40. So, I am planning on changing the oil on the G30 every 6 months of 5k miles.

I know BMW recommends LL-14 FE+ rated oil for better fuel economy on the newer BMWs. Can I run LM 5w-40 in the G30 or would that be too thick? I'm not going to be tracking it. Just driving to and from work.

Would running LL-01 void the 2 years of warranty I've got left?

0w-20 seems to thin to be running in a BMW IMO

I did oil changes on my E90 myself. I used LM 5w-40. So, I am planning on changing the oil on the G30 every 6 months of 5k miles.

I know BMW recommends LL-14 FE+ rated oil for better fuel economy on the newer BMWs. Can I run LM 5w-40 in the G30 or would that be too thick? I'm not going to be tracking it. Just driving to and from work.

A high power density turbo engine needs a stouter oil.
I am sure in Germany they spec a 5w-40, or 0w-40 as they do for all performance oriented cars there ( never mind turboed cars)
heck even my Nissan VQ series V6 (no turbos) the dealer in Germany insisted on filling 5w-40 when I was stationed there.

The turbo bearings and the like will not see damage from too thin an oil until after the warranty is over so from the companys perspective that benefit of declaring better EPA mpg outweighs the risk to the consumer since it will only hit out of warranty.

I'd find a way to run a high HTHS oil while documenting frequent oil changes.
Not all oil change place document the viscosity, some only document the oil maker

I am sure in Germany they spec a 5w-40, or 0w-40 as they do for all performance oriented cars there ( never mind turboed cars)
heck even my Nissan VQ series V6 (no turbos) the dealer in Germany insisted on filling 5w-40 when I was stationed there.

The turbo bearings and the like will not see damage from too thin an oil until after the warranty is over so from the companys perspective that benefit of declaring better EPA mpg outweighs the risk to the consumer since it will only hit out of warranty.

I'd find a way to run a high HTHS oil while documenting frequent oil changes.
Not all oil change place document the viscosity, some only document the oil maker
Using the Mobil oil selector in Germany, it kicked out the following. This oil has BMW LL 12 FE and has an HTHS of 3.0cP:
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 10.41.33 PM.jpg

The answer is in your owner's manual, not on BITOG.
I think its well established that the recommendations in the manual are not solely written with engine longevity in mind but that the EPA letters to manufacturers play a significant role.
We have users posting all the time different recommendations )in owners manuals also no less) from outside the US for exact same engines.
So if owners manuals can say different things, based on different regulatory environments then they are not infallible are they?

Since you aren't racing, towing or anything like that I don't think going that thick
does make any sense at all. If at all and since it's a turbo DI and fuel is very much
Euro-like low sulphur today I'd go LL-04 and 5W-30 (ACEA C3). There are great oils
out there meeting LL-04. Thicker than that is just robbing power and fuel efficiency.

As already mentioned see your manual.

Why does it 'seem'/appear to thin to you?

Interesting theory.

I am sure in Germany they spec a 5w-40, or 0w-40 as they do for all performance
oriented cars there

How 'sure' are you? Your assumption is plein wrong. Actually BMW specs LL-01,
LL-01 FE, LL-04, LL-12 FE, LL-14 FE+ and LL-17 FE+ (which is recommended) in the
EU including Germany plus UK, Switzerland etc. for all their B48 and B58 engines.
Most European 'performance oriented cars' run on 0W-30/5W-30 or even 0W-20
oils today. Things did change recent decade.

I think its well established that the recommendations in the manual are not solely
written with engine longevity in mind but that the EPA letters to manufacturers play
a significant role.

Any prove for that thesis or just conspriracy?

Any prove for that thesis or just conspriracy?

Didnt we have people post the EPA letter n BITOG a few times in past 20 years?
They direct manufacturers to prescribe the same oil to their consumer they go through EPA sting with.

I dont have it handy but I thought this was common knowledge on here.
I will not be surprised if someone will not post it shortly here.

Isnt this the entire point of BITOG?

They direct manufacturers to prescribe the same oil to their consumer they go through EPA sting with.

In recent years, a lot of R&D has gone into euro-specific low viscosity oils to improve their performance in higher-performance applications. The additive systems are different than your run-of-the-mill API/ILSAC 20wts.

Not saying they are ideal, but it isn't as bad as it sounds.

No but remember the B-series engines were designed with 20wt oils in mind. The bearings or journals (can't remember which) have a unique coating.

No but remember the B-series engines were designed with 20wt oils in mind. The bearings or journals (can't remember which) have a unique coating.
From what I've been reading, BMW LL-14 FE is for more fuel efficiency. So it's got a lower HTHS compared to BMW LL-01

Correct but it's not at the expense of out of warranty reliability. It's a legal issue for the automakers because they're avoiding having to pay heavy fees when their fleet hits a certain MPG threshold.

Last edited:
From what I've been reading, BMW LL-14 FE is for more fuel efficiency. So it's got a lower HTHS compared to BMW LL-01
Well ya but it's not an either-or-scenario for a commuter car in the US. As Overkill mentioned above in Germany they spec the 0w30 (HTHS 3.0) due to their autobahn. FCP Euro sells LL12FE (Mid/Low-Saps 0w30). That seems like a happy medium perhaps?

If you run the wrong oil in your engine during these 2 years, and your engine dies a horrible death, who do you want to pay for the replacement of the motor?

Do you want to have the dealer pay for the motor?
Then use the correct spec oil from the owner manual.

Do you want to pay out of pocket for the motor?
Then use whatever oil you want.

Nothing else matters.

BC.

Back