If T6 5W-40 when specified is out of stock, what options are there?

I am not aware of the MS-10902 spec being low ash; I don't see how Rotella 5W40 fits the definition of a low-ash oil.
FWIW most of the current CK4 rated diesel engine oils are considered low ash oils. They all have a sulfated ash content lower than 1%, which seems to be a pre requisite for getting the CK4 rating which revolves around low ash ratings to reduce DPF plugging in modern emission controlled diesels.

Lately I've seen Chevron marketing what they claim is an ultra low ash diesel engine oil

it's been on the shelf at most of the stores I go thru that carry that brand.
It must be a regional supply thing. I see it on the shelf at my local Fleet Farm, Auto Zone, and O'Reilly stores.

The price has increased though, by at least a few bucks since the last time I looked; perhaps related to supply/logistics.

It must be a regional supply thing. I see it on the shelf at my local Fleet Farm, Auto Zone, and O'Reilly stores.

The price has increased though, by at least a few bucks since the last time I looked; perhaps related to supply/logistics.
last time I looked it was 23 a gallon at Walmart

last time I looked it was 23 a gallon at Walmart
Sitting at $27 a gallon today at FF (linky), used to be $23ish until a couple months ago.

Just checked local WM and they list it at $23ish still, but not in stock for local pickup.

Last edited:
Most farm type stores carry a house brand of 5w40 CK-4, Rural King, Blaines, etc. Those all meet the same requirement as T6 does, the Blaine's and Rural King offering even says it meets the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 right on the bottle which is more stringent IMO than CES20086.

Last edited:
FWIW most of the current CK4 rated diesel engine oils are considered low ash oils. They all have a sulfated ash content lower than 1%, which seems to be a pre requisite for getting the CK4 rating which revolves around low ash ratings to reduce DPF plugging in modern emission controlled diesels.

Lately I've seen Chevron marketing what they claim is an ultra low ash diesel engine oil
There has been a UOA posted with Chevron ADF. It's an interesting concept, extremely low ash, almost no ZDDP, very high moly, like over 1000ppm.

Theoretically it would be good in the G2 Ecodiesel because it meets E9, but it's only 10w30 or 15w40, not 5w40. The 10w30 does have a 3.6 HTHS.

Does not carry gasser ratings for Gen 3 and again not available in 5w40, but seems like it would be good for it also. I wonder what Pennzoil Euro 5w40 actually shears down to in practice? Is ADF 10w30 really that different, viscosity wise?

Last edited:
Most farm type stores carry a house brand of 5w40 CK-4, Rural King, Blaines, etc. Those all meet the same requirement as T6 does, the Blaine's and Rural King offering even says it meets the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 right on the bottle which is more stringent IMO than CES20086.

I've used it a couple times... its Providence brand now, formerly Harvest King and Rural King branded.
100_0143.JPG
100_0142.JPG

As others have stated, Mobil 1 TDT, Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme, T6, Delvac 1, ect are all fine oils for the Gen 2 engine. I'm not sure your engine would notice the difference between them.

For my Gen 3 I currently run Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen2 5W40.

Gen2 requires a diesel oil, not Euro Gas Engine Oil.
But technically a Euro gas oil carries the A3/B4 spec and is therefore dual rated. Is it right? Not really. Will it do the job? Yes.

Last I looked, Premium Blue is also dual rated too.

From the 2017 owners manual:

View attachment 154909
Snagglefoot Mopar's owners manuals dont reflect what they actually put in the vehicle..I dont think the owmers manual people know what the engineers did... for instance by 2017 model year CK4 oil is the norm, but I think it took Mopar until 2019 to reflect the newer oil standard in their OM's. Kind like my 2016 Ram says to lubricate the tie rod ends with such and such grease but the truck doesn't have greaseable tie rod ends.

Snagglefoot Mopar's owners manuals dont reflect what they actually put in the vehicle..I dont think the owmers manual people know what the engineers did... for instance by 2017 model year CK4 oil is the norm, but I think it took Mopar until 2019 to reflect the newer oil standard in their OM's. Kind like my 2016 Ram says to lubricate the tie rod ends with such and such grease but the truck doesn't have greaseable tie rod ends.
Stellantis for ya...

Back